Setting Browser for T/bird to open email links

jodef

So what you're trying to do is have FireBird set to your default browser? As in, click a link in most programs and have it open with Firebird?

Right now when I click on email links in Tbird nothing happens how do I set the browser for Tbird to open email links in?
This is confusing me. When u click on email links (joe@somecompany.com) in Thunderbird, you want them to open in the browser (Firebird)?Or are you talking the other way around? When email links are clicked in the browser, you want them to open in thunderbird?Are you using linux (i assume because of your previously posted link) or windows? If linux, are you using Gnome, KDE or something else?

So what you're trying to do is have FireBird set to your default browser? As in, click a link in most programs and have it open with Firebird?
Right now when I click on email links in Tbird nothing happens how do I set the browser for Tbird to open email links in?
This is confusing me. When u click on email links (joe@somecompany.com) in Thunderbird, you want them to open in the browser (Firebird)?Or are you talking the other way around? When email links are clicked in the browser, you want them to open in thunderbird?Are you using linux (i assume because of your previously posted link) or windows? If linux, are you using Gnome, KDE or something else?
I think he means when he clicks on a link (like http://www.cnn.com) in an email message, he wants it to open in Firebird.I don't use Thunderbird, so I don't know how to do it o:)

I think he means when he clicks on a link (like http://www.cnn.com) in an email message, he wants it to open in Firebird.
Oohhh, that makes more sence o:) Have you looked through the settings in ThunderBird to see if there is a setting that would change which browser opens?I'm going to go look/test now. brb.

Ok, back. I don't see a setting to do what you are trying to do. Jodef, i think that link u found is right on. I'll be back with directions on that script o:)

Huumm... i can't get it to work.Hopefully someone will come who has more experience with this kind of stuff than i do.I think that link you posted Jodef is probably the right solution. i just can't get it to work over here... o:) :D :D :D

Sonic kind of have a solution but I still need to know where the the user-prefs file has to go in thunderbird do you have any idea where I need to put this file. o:)

Hi JodefI know, I know . I did send you here to get the answer . . . o:) . . . . but I found it:/home/jodef/.thunderbird/default/8nq0j52o.slt/prefs.jsThat is the file where you have to add that line:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/home/jodef/thunderscript");

You know how to make the script, and make executable, so if you leave that in /home/jodef the line above will do.Hope it will work :D:D Bruno* forgot I had Thunderbird installed in Slackware . . :D

You know how to make the script, and make executable, so if you leave that in /home/jodef the line above will do.
Doh! I forgot to make it executable! No wonder it wasn't working B) Thanks Bruno B)

Sorry Sonic, did not know you were watching this . . . . . ( had PM´s with Jodef about this . . B) )How I made the script ( I called it "thunderscript" ):# vi thunderscript< i > ( put vi in insert mode )copy and paste the script< Esc > ( vi back to commandmode )< ZZ > ( save the file )Make it executable:# chmod 0755 /home/bruno/thunderscriptNow you have the full info B) . . . B) Bruno

Sonic I was tired and went to sleep sorry. :( Once I got it to work was gonna let you know.Thx Sonic Thx Bruno B) B) You guys are great.Am going in wish me luck.Bruno just curious how many distros are you running B)

Ok partial success let me explain what's happening when I click on a link in Tbird now.Click on a link to this website get a msg:You have chosen to open index.php from http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/ (this forum)which is a html file what do you want Tbird to do.Open with I browse to usr/local/bin/MozillaFirebird and the link opens but pointing to a url in tmp directory of my home directory.In the case of index.php points to file:///home/johann/tmp/index.php it looks like webpage without formatting any ideas.Shocks got excited for a moment. B)

Jodef and Sonic:I just finished a little test and it works ! Here is how:Delete the script, and the user_pref line, you do not need those, they only bug things up ! You do however need the latest Thunderbird and Firebird ( Jodef probably has them already, I had to get the new Thunderbird to make it work :thumbsup: )All you have to do is open a console and type:

$ gnome-control-center

( don't worry this works in KDE too )You will get a GUI --> choose advanced --> Preferred Applications --> Custom webbrowser --> fill in:

/usr/local/bin/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird %s

( That is if you followed the Tips where to put Firebird, if not adjust the PATH, but leave %s at the end )Now start Thunderbird, and click only once on a link ( no doubleclick ) . . . it should work !Good luck !:) Bruno

Sorry for late confirmation was out for most of the last two days.Thx seems to work for the most part. B) One little quirk if I have a firebird browser already running when I click on a link it asks me to select a profile I can't select default because its already running anymore ideas.In meantime will check mozilla forums to see if there's a work around.Thx again.

Using Evolution as Mail Client and Firebird as browser. I would also click a link and it would open up Galeon. I couldn't find any settings in Firebird or Evolution on what browser to open after clicking on a link. I did get it to work w/ Bruno's steps using

$ gnome-control-center