A love-hate relationship with iPad and iOS

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi
A love-hate relationship with iPad and iOS (Scot's Computerworld Blog)
From the moment I downloaded my first app for Apple's iPad, I was addicted. I spent hours and hours the first couple of months downloading and trying apps, and testing different ways to work with Apple's tablet.I still use it every day. It's become my instant information tool and entertainment device. I listen to music, play solitaire, check the weather (I prefer the AccuWeather app), check weather radar (RadarScope) and nip out to the Web to research something I want to buy. It's indispensable when you travel. But now months later, my ardor has cooled somewhat. And I've tried to put my finger on why. It's not the hardware, that's clear. I love the Apple's industrial design and especially the gorgeous touchscreen. And it's not the fact that the app store isn't completely free. I like the idea of supporting a development ecosystem around iPad and iPhone. I bought an iPhone 4, but it wasn't that that dampened my enthusiasm for the iPad either.
Much more in Scot's article. Great article! Great job Scot!!!!:hysterical:

Scot's right, the iPad could be so much more, and I expect Apple will take care of this with future versions of the device. The biggest issues are the lack of a file system that can be easily managed and business apps that easily interact with Microsoft Office programs.

Guest LilBambi

Totally agree, but only from a "what I have read" stance since I don't have an iPad. I have an iPod Touch and I even feel it there, so I can only imagine how much more it would be on the iPad.

The iPad can be used as a laptop replacement under certain circumstances. I've used mine to make presentations using Keynote and a projector. I created the presentation on my Mac then copied it over to the iPad using iTunes. I had to make a few minor tweaks on the iPad, but the presentation was flawless. I was able to make the trip with only the iPad and projector. No laptop needed.

Guest LilBambi

Nice to see there are some workarounds.LogMeIn apparently works well but slowly on the iPad as well so you can log into your mac at home.Wonder if ones like Teamviewer, and others work well?I have ssh clients on my iPod Touch but don't use them much as it's frustratingly slow.

Guest LilBambi

Here's my comment on the article:

Submitted by BambisMusings on February 23, 2011 - 9:50 A.M.So refreshing to see an article that aligns my own thoughts so well and written by a great friend to boot! I don't have an iPad, but I sometimes feel the same way even about my iPod Touch.I would love to see a tablet similar to the iPad but more than just a content delivery system. Maybe a new Apple iTablet or iSlate or some other iName. A tablet computer about the same size as the iPad that is in fact a real Mac with the Mac OS X operating system -- maybe just tailored down only slightly for the form factor, but not greatly -- that has the Mac App Store on it rather than the iOS App Store and allows you to install what you want in addition, and gives access to the filesystem and definitely has USB access at the very least and wifi.To me that would be the best of both worlds and move us in the right direction.Just my two cents. ;-)