problems with OpenDNS

cybormoron

the last few days web page loading has been hanging for me. firefox is the only browser i use and the animated status indicator just simply hangs about halfway. status bar says waiting or connecting to and i sit here and wait for about 20 seconds before losing patience. i just switched back to my providers default DNS and BANG, pages are loading in a blink.so the question is; could something be wrong with OpenDNS? is anyone noticing this? is my switching just a coincidence?

Guest LilBambi

It may or may not be OpenDNS' fault. Some ISPs have started throttling or blocking other DNS servers, ultimately forcing their users to use their own DNS servers...the better to keep tabs on their users, or gaining marketing data, or what? Who knows....I used to use OpenDNS and found the same thing as you did. At the same time, a friend was still using OpenDNS with no degradation. So I think it is something to do with the ISP more than OpenDNS itself. At least it was in my case...

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I used OpenDNS also, and the only slowdown I've been experiencing is on my own server (website and board). :(

thanks folks.well OpenDNS is just the first thing i suspected or rather just taking a WAG. it didn't really solve my prob. i switched back and forth a couple times and really can't seem to tell the difference.so i mucked about in my tmp folder and deleted something i probably shouldn't have which seems to have broken firefox's java runtime plugin. so i completely uninstalled the java plugin and firefox and moved the hidden data folder before reinstalling. so now i'm starting over with a new browser with no addons and a new plugin.i can't believe how good it's all running at the moment. i now suspect that my extraordinary accumulation of ad blocking filters may be the culprit or perhaps some other corruption.however there is still one site that won't load quickly so i guess maybe something is wrong with the site. http://www.tuxmachines.org/

Edited by cybormoron

thanks folks.well OpenDNS is just the first thing i suspected or rather just taking a WAG. it didn't really solve my prob. i switched back and forth a couple times and really can't seem to tell the difference.however there is still one site that won't load quickly so i guess maybe something is wrong with the site. http://www.tuxmachines.org/
Opens quickly for me - using AT&T DNS server on a 12Mbps connection.You might want to download and install DNS Benchmark from Steve Gibson's website: DNS Benchmark page. When I ran it comparing AT&T's DNS server against OpenDNS, Level 3, and Google DNS servers, AT&T"s server was the fastest.

thanks for testing, mac...i discovered that tool and a couple others the other day from a blog article. i'd like to try it however i'm on linux and don't install apps from the web nor do i use wine. i'll find the linux alternative when i get around to it. i'm sure there is one. probably the ping command or something like that.i think starting over with a complete wipe (uninstall) of the browser seems to have addressed my issues. it's the perfect solution. wipe it out and start over, lol.adblock plus site is down. been down a few days now i guess.http://adblockplus.org/http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7908

Edited by cybormoron