Web Design Poll

Prelude76

What's your primary tool for Web Design?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Started out with Notepad then moved on to Homesite. When I started playing with php I switched to EditPlus (liked the multipage and syntax highlighting setup). When I started trying more complex pages/sites I tried FrontPage - never could get comfortable with it. Just recently started using Dreamweaver MX and am rapidly getting hooked. Code is not always the cleanest but seems way better than FrontPage's. As others have mentioned, I usually have the split view with code window above and design window below. - if things don't work out as expected you can usually find and fix the problem easier that way.* edit - Now that I'm venturing into Linux, I guess I'll have to explore some new options. Suggestions, anyone...?
N|vuMozilla's Composer stripped out and updated. Still in early stages but fairly full-featured.

Cluttermagnet

Amazing the number of folks who hand code in this forum. Hmmm, on second thought, maybe not. I do too. Oh, I will get around to learning new stuff and probably try a few of the freebie composers eventually. I render some stuff with tables and I hear that is getting passe now.

I used hand-coding for about 6 months or so after I started as a website developer. Then I bought FrontPage and have used it since.I don't use any of the other options. Dreamweaver is evil :thumbsup: (and horking expensive)

• 3 months later...

I always use Macromedia Dreamweaver 2004 (MM Studio MX 2004).I use Photoshop Pro 8.0c to make the graphics.I also use Swish (flash) and animation shop and paintshop pro.In Dreamweaver I use the split screen, one is WYSIWYG which means What You See Is What You Get, and the other is the code.Never used any other program because this program works quick and very good!

In Dreamweaver I use the split screen, one is WYSIWYG which means What You See Is What You Get, and the other is the code.
FrontPage 2003 has this option as well as many others.

I used hand-coding for about 6 months or so after I started as a website developer.  Then I bought FrontPage and have used it since.I don't use any of the other options.  Dreamweaver is evil :lol: (and horking expensive)
How can you say Dreamweaver is evil? :hmm: I would say FP is evil. Where I teach web design my coordinator constantly reminds me not to use the F-word when talking about web page editors! :D No web editor is perfect but DWMX 2004 has the best support of CSS IMHO and for me, that's the clincher. I design my pages exclusively using XHTML/CSS, but use Dreamweaver to help with editing text. Once you've set up a CSS file and attached it to your web document you can then edit it with good WYSIWYG accuracy. DW also has fairly good wizards that help you write CFML, PHP, and ASP code that easily attaches to local or remote ColdFusion and MySQL databases.

How can you say Dreamweaver is evil?  I would say FP is evil. Where I teach web design my coordinator constantly reminds me not to use the F-word when talking about web page editors
I agree peachy :hmm: Though i've never used either for more than a trial period, i always here a lot about FrontPage problems, and a lot of praise about Dreamweaver, and i'd have to agree!I may even drop the bucks for the next dreamweaver too, which isn't soooo bad with a student discount. I also agree with XHTML/CSS. That's the only way to go :lol:

I have never even touched FP. Heard so much about it that I never had a desire to try it. I like DreamWeaver. I have DreamWeaver and GoLive on my computer at work and DreamWeaver at home. Half the time I just do notepad or a text editor and then just check it in DreamWeaver or similar program before posting.Julia

Cluttermagnet
I have never even touched FP.  Heard so much about it that I never had a desire to try it.  I like DreamWeaver.
A few years ago, people using Front Page were cranking out some of the most obnoxious web pages imaginable. Using non-standard, proprietary MS software techniques, they were even crashing various non-IE browsers that visited their websites. Any good, reputable web designer would check for compatibility with all the various browsers currently in use, and would likely choose a better tool than Front Page anyway.

• 1 year later...

Hi ALLGuess I am STILL the EXPLORER B) am trying out with--->>>NVUDreamweaver1st Page 2006BUT would LOVE to be POINTED to a Program that will test my pages in several browsers ----->>>Have downloaded BROWSER SIZER (not installed yet B) ) but understand THIS one needs the various browsers installed on ones system - HECK :P I have enough palpitations with Firefox B) Is there a program that incororates the browsers to be tested inHave not found one yetCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

• 1 year later...

I started in notepad, but when I found out about W3C validation, I realized I needed something that gave me a line count, so I started using HTML-Kit.However, in Linux I see that there is NVU (which was mentioned earlier in the thread). But, despite the fact that it is supposedly a WYSIWYG editor, I have yet to figure out how to make it "connect" to a CSS sheet while using it as a WYSIWYG generator. Does anyone know how that is done? The so called "Help" deal has helped me not at all. I simply do not understand how one is supposed to invoke the style sheet stuff while using it in WYSIWYG mode . . . ?I might add, that I have tried NVU in Windows too, with the same results, and I always get so bent out of shape I go back to hand coding.Thanks,BillEdit: All I am talking about here is getting NVU to respond to font rules from CSS; nothing complicated in terms of formatting. In other words, if Hx or p is defined on the CSS sheet, how is NVU supposed to know that it should use that rather than inserting that same stuff repeatedly in the actual WYSIWYG page?

Edited by BillD

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

My main tool is vi (elvis).I code in html, css, a bit of javascript, once in a while php, sql.I use ImageMagick tools to deal with the graphics (thumbnails, cropping, converting, etc.).I test the pages with opera and firefox.