Simple Macro Tool

Sluggo

Hi Would anybody have any recommendations for a *simple* Macro Utility\Tool that I could setup and permanently save about 10 or 12 simple text strings that can be activated\pasted into any text area (eg: Notepad, Wordpad, Emails, etc., etc.) with Hotkeys ?I know about RoboForm and most of the popular Clipboard Utilities, but I really don't need\want all of the features offered with them (or any similar program) or the overhead that they require.Thanks :D

While it's not exactly what you're asking for, have you tried ActiveWords? I've heard good things about a program called Macro Express, although I haven't tested it, so I'm just passing along a third-party recommendation.Anyone else have a good recommendation?-- Scot

:D With all these utility programs around I think it can't be all that difficult to learn programming and write your own. Most of the available ones have too many useless "features". I think I'll take my own advice and start studying programming.Joy

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions :)However as with the utilities\tools that I've looked at prior to my posting, either there are too many *steps* required to insert the desired text vs a simple Hotkey combo (for some it would be quicker to just type it in manually), they're too bloated with features that I do not want\require, or simply not worth the asking price for my needs :(I did see a couple that might meet my requirements so I will check out them out soon I hope, they are:PC Magazine's ClipTrak (not free any more, but their tools are first class)Shortkeys Free Lite version

With all these utility programs around I think it can't be all that difficult to learn programming and write your own.  Most of the available ones have too many useless "features".  I think I'll take my own advice and start studying programming.
I would tend to agree with you 100%, however I haven't a clue as to how to write one or the time to invest into it at this time, but if I could see a sample I probably could take it from there and modify it for additional ones. Any volunteers ?Thanks :D

... either there are too many *steps* required to insert the desired text vs a simple Hotkey combo (for some it would be quicker to just type it in manually), they're too bloated with features that I do not want\require ...
Hi Sluggo, I wandered by and saw your post. I have a program that I think you would like called "TypeItIn"I just checked the website and the new version has become shareware and bloated. But the old freeware version that I have works great... I'm not sure of the legality of me sending the setup file to you... but if you'd like to check it out, let me know. Unless, of course, someone knows that sending it would be morally or ethically wrong. In which case it would be more fun...no I mean then I better not.

... either there are too many *steps* required to insert the desired text vs a simple Hotkey combo (for some it would be quicker to just type it in manually), they're too bloated with features that I do not want\require ...
Hi Sluggo, I wandered by and saw your post. I have a program that I think you would like called "TypeItIn"I just checked the website and the new version has become shareware and bloated. But the old freeware version that I have works great... I'm not sure of the legality of me sending the setup file to you... but if you'd like to check it out, let me know.
Thanks for the offer, but I have tried it and while it will work as advertised, it isn't exactly what I want, IE: Hotkey control\insertion
Unless, of course, someone knows that sending it would be morally or ethically wrong. In which case it would be more fun...no I mean then I better not.
I guess that we'll never know :(Thanks again :P

could setup and permanently save about 10 or 12 simple text strings that can be activated\pasted into any text area
From the sound of that, I'll suggest the following, but not exactly simple in features (although it is quite simple to configure), and quite possibly bloated:Hot KeyboardI'd been looking for a freeware program that would allow me keyboard control of sound volume controls and the freeware version of Hot Keyboard has that already configured in the example macros. Even allowing delicate volume adjustments which was why I'd been looking for something in the first place since my sound card is overpowering my speakers so that mouse control doesn't cut it. I decided to get the Pro version just because I could and I also believe in supporting the software I like when I can.I've learned to love HKB the past few months, such as it offers inline text replacement like Word or other major office apps. For example, I can set up a macro that will copy the Preamble to the US Constitution by making a macro that has the Preamble as the replacement text and "p!@" as the text to be replaced. Then whenever I type "p", "!", and "@" adjacently (in almost any Windows program- it hasn't failed in any I've tried it on) then the Preamble would immediately replace the typed "p!@". It also has Hotkey text placement of prepared text. It may be a bit much for what you need or want. I got Hot Keyboard for entirely different reasons, but it has been a cool program to use.Unfortunately the free version doesn't have the text replacement part. The inline part is nice, though. It's easy, but perhaps overly featured(?), and costs a few bucks. It does seem to work quite well. I can't say I've tried to give it a good workout but I already have 11 things in autoreplace text to save on my typing.(As you can see, I'm chronically NOT brief so I really need that.)

I just found Yankee Clipper. It's FREE. Here's where to find it:http://www.yankee-clipper.net/It sits in your system tray and monitors the clipboard. Whenever you copy something, Yankee Clipper stores it in its History. Press the hotkey (Ctl-Alt-V by default) and it pops up a window showing all the items in history. Click on one and it pastes it. You can move an item from History to Boilerplate to make it permanent. So simple, so small, so convenient. And the price is right! Did I mention it's FREE?Only problem is it doesn't keep its settings under the User Profile, so it won't work under XP with Fast User Switching. Next version (pay for, probably) will.Oh, and Scot, I changed the hotkey to F8. :D