Text editing with Nano made easy

securitybreach

securitybreach
Nano supports syntax highlighting. Nano supports text justification. And yet, Nano is so much easier than Emacs or Vim. Discover the hidden power of this versatile command line text editor - you may never want to go back to the GUI again! Oh, and it's well worth knowing a great CLI text editor too - if you end up at the shell prompt with X not working, you'll need a backup plan. Here are the tricks, tips and shortcuts you need to know...Nano is a great command-line text editor for a number of reasons:It's small, lightweight and is included in most distributions;It's easy to use and gives plenty of on-screen feedback;It includes many power-user features to compete with Vi(m) and Emacs.Nano runs in text mode at the command line; this may prompt you to think: "Why would I want to learn a text mode editor? Kate, Gedit and FooEdit 2000 do everything I need to on my desktop." Well, firstly, all regular Linux users and administrators should be well-versed in a command line editor. If something goes wrong with the X Window System, for example, you'll end up at a CLI prompt and your skills will be essential for editing config files.Secondly, if you set up a Linux machine as a server, it almost certainly won't include X or any kind of graphical tools, so you'll be using a text mode editor frequently. Learning some core skills beyond simply opening and saving files can make you work much more productively, so that's what we'll be looking at here.As for a quick history, Elm was a Unix email client dating back to the late 80s. Then came Pine, which some users said was an acronym for 'Pine Is Not Elm'. Pico was Pine's text editor, but wasn't totally free software by the GNU definition. So Tip, (Tip Isn't Pico), was created and later renamed to Nano, (Nano's ANOther editor). Fun, eh?............
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/text-editing-nano-made-easy

Great article, SB! :whistling: It's the only CLI editor I use, but the first comment sums it up:

awesome!!!archopenbox (not verified) - June 22, 2010 @ 5:01pmtank you!!!this is greati didn't know that nano is so smart and can do all this