College Baseball

benhenry

Go Shockers!The Wichita State University "Shockers" are not named for lightning bolts ... (although some kinds of spring time electrical storms here in Kansas have a reputation.)Nope, the "Shockers" name comes from wheat shocks... standing bundles of wheat, arranged for gathering, left in the fields while harvesting with a scythe.Tradition has it that the first Wichita college baseball team would eventually have to "shock" the wheat in the outfield to make it playable before the season's end.The adorably ugly guy to the left is "WU shock" named before Wichita University was large enough to become a State University.I like this forum. I love baseball. So I will try to only talk about baseball here in the "Water Cooler" (I'll try!)Now to get to the important point of this post...Congratulations to the Indiana State Sycamores for their best start in the team's history... and Welcome to Wichita this Weekend. Now... where is that Stryder?... :unsure:

Baseball???? What is that? Never heard of it......now BASKETBALL on the other hand, that is something we Hoosiers know a little about. ;) I'm a Baseball fan here too. Been a Reds fan all my life, too bad they do not seem to understand the importance of starting pitchers. And Junior has had the worst luck since coming to Cincy. I thought he had a legit chance at catching Hank until the injuries started 3 years ago. And already out 6 to 10 weeks to start this season.....(sigh)

Guest LilBambi

Hey ... the Reds! I saw them play when I was 16 and visiting my aunt and uncle in Ohio! It was the first time I ever saw a baseball game that I didn't fall asleep on the couch! ;) I really enjoyed baseball in person ... will never watch it on TV again.BTW: Don't ask me who the Red played ... it's been a long time since I was 16!Cute new avatar benhenry ;)

... I'm a Baseball fan here too. Been a Reds fan all my life, too bad they do not seem to understand the importance of starting pitchers. And Junior has had the worst luck since coming to Cincy. I thought he had a legit chance at catching Hank until the injuries started 3 years ago. And already out 6 to 10 weeks to start this season.....(sigh)
Stryder: Indiana St. vs Wichita State (4 game series this weekend.) Should be some great baseball ;) I still haven't completely forgiven pro baseball for the childishly greedy way the owners and players tried to destroy the game with strikes, bickering, etc.But college baseball... That particular flavor of baseball still contains the team spirit and desire that I remember as a player. Bambi:
Cute new avatar benhenry
Now you really know how to hurt a guy, dontcha?He's not cute ! He's tough... he's bad... he's ugly... he eats Koalas for breakfast! :unsure:

Guest LilBambi
:unsure: ;) Yes, I needed that one too today benhenry! Very funny stuff! :)BTW: I like really like both your avatars ... and your "tough, ugly" one is more than welcome to eat the cute little koala for breakfast ... I got tons of backups on that little koala image file! ;) ;)

Friday: Sycamores Suffer Shutout:

Indiana St Sycamores  0Wichita  St Shockers   10

Saturday: DoubleHeader: A Split:

Game One: Sycamores 2                    Shockers  3Game Two: Sycamores 4                     Shockers 3

spooky... I think I'm all alone in here. I guess College Baseball is an acquired taste.Anyway if any fans do wander in here... Gene Stephenson, WSU baseball coach missed his first game in 26 years. That has to be some kind of "Cal Ripken" type record. According to the paper ... his surgery was successful and he should be back leading the team in 10 days.

Two words:  GO HUSKERS!!!  :)
The Huskers have a great team this year!... I think they were ranked 8th back on 04-08-03 when they were beaten 7-5 by the SHOCKERS!!! :D

yeah... that was a sad day in Huskertown.... but revenge will be sweet (if we happen to meet in regionals or even the CWS)... I think we're ranked 11th now... just finished blowing out McNeese state (they're now 0-18 against us all time :) )

Well at least the team from "Terrible Hut" managed to pull one out. Congrats on taking the weekend series.Hey....what happened in game 4???? Guess I should know that before conceding the series.

Edited by Stryder

Hey....what happened in game 4????
Shockers Win Final Game With ISU, 6-5Another one run game... that was one of the best weekend series I've ever seen. Gorgeous weather, average turnout- 3500 fans. That's phenomenal for a college baseball field. I'm still peeling though. I always get sunburned, but the kids just get darker.
revenge will be sweet (if we happen to meet in regionals or even the CWS)
Meeting in the regionals is a definite possibility. Omaha still looks very far away at this point, though.

Meeting in the regionals is a definite possibility. Omaha still looks very far away at this point, though.
Omaha doesn't look very far away to me! It's only an hour drive :rolleyes: j/k I know what you're saying... I don't know much about the Shockers this year, although they're always good... We've been there the past two years, but our coach bolted after the season last year. The new guy is handling it well, but we're really gonna miss Dave Van Horn... Of course even when we do make it to the CWS, we can't seem to win a game :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ben,How them Shockers doing?? :D Heard they got beat by CREIGHTON!! And what, they're not on top of the MVC anymore? :(Just in case you haven't heard, my Huskers are up to NUMBER 4 in the polls... :D :D :D 2 out of 3 against Texas, 2 out of 3 againt Texas Tech ;) Plus we actually BEAT Creighton :D and we're going to beat them again tonite! ;)

Oh wait... they lost 3 out of 4 to Creighton (record 16-28 or something like that)... the last game was 16-0... OUCH!!!

... Heard they got beat by CREIGHTON!!
Uh, yes... very embarrassing. We got run-ruled last Sunday for the first time I can remember since I worked there.We did manage to beat your old coach at Ark. a while back... but that's about our only good news lately. Hmmm.... This could be the year for a Neb. team to win in Omaha! But it ain't over until ... well... football season. That reminds me. Haven't the Huskers had a little trouble with K-State lately?

Hmmm.... This could be the year for a Neb. team to win in Omaha! But it ain't over until ... well... football season. That reminds me. Haven't the Huskers had a little trouble with K-State lately?
Hopefully this will be the year when we actually WIN a game in the CWS... Can't wait until fall... Solich's job is on the line this year!!!K-State... we're due to beat them this year... we'd better, or someone's head is getting ripped off (see above line :D )

Martini Lover

Baseball?????????? Up here in mitten country, (Michigan) we have a base ball team the has a worse win/loss record than our lovable lions. Strike that, make that kitty cats. Wait the tigers are kitty cats also. Maybe they only have one team, that play two sports. Can't be right, they don't play any sport.................... :D

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice to find my way back to the forum... we had some twister trouble lately. Anyway,The Shockers play the Sycamores in the Missouri Valley Conference tournament today... :huh: Our only hope to make it to a regional is to win the tournament. :rolleyes: The Huskers seem to be in control of the Big 12... :D GolfProRM ... I'll switch to rooting for them if the Shockers don't make it to a regional this year.

Ben... Welcome back! Hope everything's okay down south... Know you guys got hit pretty hard down there....Hopefully the Shockers will pull something out! At least get a shot at the "playoffs"Yeah... Has been a good year up here for us.... hope it continues into the Big 12 tourney and on through the Regionals! :)Nice to know we'll have an extra fan! :rolleyes:

Guest LilBambi

Wanted to add my welcome back too benhenry!Sorry to hear about your twister troubles. Hope you didn't sustain any direct hits on your property!

Guest genaldar

The gophers (University of Minnesota) made regionals. I'm not sure how long it had been, but I can't remember the last time they made it. Add that to the Twins taking back first place in the central and its been a good week for Minnesota baseball.

... Hope you didn't sustain any direct hits on your property!
Hi LilBambi,Thank you... You are definitely one of the nicest people I've never met! Well yes... we've been hit glancing blows the last three years out of four. This last time we lost a stand of maples and the edge of some cottonwood breaks. That hurt. Trees are very precious here on the prairie.But life goes on... and Baseball is Life!The Shockers accidently won the MVC tournament! We are headed to Houston for a regional! Frabjous day, calloo callay!Hey GolfProRM... congrats on all your promotions! And I hope you tear 'em up in your regional... but I hope we don't meet in the supers!Hi genaldar... I hate underground critters! Oh, okay, I like Gophers. But I'll deny it if you ever call me on it.

Guest genaldar
Hi genaldar... I hate underground critters! Oh, okay, I like Gophers. But I'll deny it if you ever call me on it.
Must refrain from insulting mascot made out of wheat.btw since he has wheat in his mouth is he a cannibal?D'oh! Looks like I failed.