"Home" Icon Access Wrong Thing

BillD

Somehow in PCLinuxOS, I have messed up my "house" icon relationships, where when I click on it, it expects to see a flash drive, rather then my home folder. As a result, if there is not flash drive in there, I get an error message, and the only way I can see my home folder in Konqueror, is to expand the "home" folder in the list of things down the left side of Konqueror, and click on the /home/bill and then I can see the stuff my home has in it.Now how can I get it back when I click on the house icon, it automatically opens my home instead of looking for the flash drive?Thank you,Bill

V.T. Eric Layton

Are you in KDE? Gnome? What?You could try to right click on the icon --> properties --> set to open /home/bill... Can't hurt to try. I don't use desktop icons at all, so not really sure. I know the icons are in your /home/Desktop directory. You may be able to manipulate it there.

Have a look in "systemsettings" --> "advanced" --> "fileassociations" --> "Inode" . . . what does it say ? What is on first place ?:hysterical: Bruno

Bruno, where is systemsettings? When I click on my house icon, I get in the konqueror address bar: "system:/media/sdb1" and then an error box pops up which informs me something to the effect of "error; could not mount device (which is the flash drive), no such medium", rather than it opening my home, and when I delete "system:/media/sdb1" and put in /home/bill, then I can see my home stuff . . . so your suggestion makes a weird sort of sense, but I just don't know where systemssettings is :hysterical: Thank you,Bill

Edited by BillD

I presume that you can't see System Settings (which is in KDE4) because you are in KDE3.5. It's called Control Center.Are you talking about the Home icon on your desktop? You can either right-click and select Properties and if the location is not "/home/bill/" alter it there, or just delete the icon and drag a new one from KMenu and select "Copy" - presuming the one in the menu is correct.Its a pretty weird problem. God knows how that would have happened. ;)

OK, here's the deal: I had my home folder open at the same time I had a mounted flash drive and was dragging some stuff from the flash drive into the home folder, I think. Anyway, I could never change the original address; it seemed to be correct. So I followed your suggestion of making a new one by right clicking the desktop and creating a "link to location" wherein a put the /home/bill path. This then worked but was labeled "bill" and looked like a piece of paper. So I deleted the existing house icon, found the house icon with the wrench in properties for my new bill icon, and then relabeled it "Home". Works great.The only problem is that the house icon in the bar next to the "start" button still did not work right, so I deleted it. I can see no way to get it back because this version of Kde 3.x no longer allows me to drag stuff onto the bar; I have to right click the bar and I cannot find "Home" anywhere in the list of stuff to put there (i.e. "all applications" . . . In fact I have no idea how I would have put it there in the first place if it was not installed there . . . ?Any suggestion as to how to get my new desktop icon Home down onto the bar?Thanks, sunrat,BillI got it! I was able to drag my new house icon onto the middle part of the taskbar, and then used the right click "move" option to enable me to drag it over by the start button.

Edited by BillD

Sorry Bill . . . I was thinking kde 4 ;) But next time you want to add something to the panel: rightclick on the menu button and ( temporary switch to "kickoff menustyle" after that you can rightclick on a menuitem and choose "add to main panel":thumbsup: Bruno

Well Bruno I'm missing something because nowhere can I see "home" with the appropriate house icon listed in any menu . . . I mention this not because I still need it, but because my "education" seems to be lacking someway. All I see in any menu is what I can see under "all applications", and the "home" is not there.Thanks,Bill

I checked on my PCLos 2009 install and on the "kickoff menu" the home entry is on the first "page" . . .
Yes, you are correct, but I just tried it, and interestingly, it is still screwed up and wants to open the flash drive . . . unlike my "new" home icons . . . ? In other words it is in the same condition that I previously had with my home icon after I messed it up.Thanks,Bill

Hmmmm . . not good !If you now rightclick on the home icon of the taskbar and choose properties . . . what exactly do the several tabs say ?:) Bruno

Yes, you are correct, but I just tried it, and interestingly, it is still screwed up and wants to open the flash drive . . . unlike my "new" home icons . . . ? In other words it is in the same condition that I previously had with my home icon after I messed it up.Thanks,Bill
If you right-click on the K Menu button on task bar then select Menu Editor, you can go to the Home icon and fix it from there.

Well, the new home icons that work which I made and put on the desktop and taskbar have a 3rd tab from left that says "URL" (/home/bill) whereas the original one I get when I look at properties (and which no longer works), has the 3rd tab saying "application" . . .Bill

The one with thee URL has a better chance of working . . . I would delete the others.
Yes, I did after I had made the new ones the other day :hysterical: I got the old messed up one back temporarily by right clicking the PC button as you mentioned above in the thread.Bill