Mandriva Linux 2010 Very Impressive

striker

Well, today I did a test-install ( powerpack edition ) on a spare ext3 partition and have to say that my first impressions are positive. It looks great, behaves great . . .. I am happy :hysterical::hysterical: Bruno

Posting from Mandriva 2010 Gnome right now. It is very smooth and responsive. I had a small problem with videos launching in Firefox. Uninstalled and reinstalled the flash plugin and that fixed things.Mandriva is what I install now for my "clients" who want to try Linux on their machines.

My husband's been test driving 2010 Gnome every morning since I installed it last Tuesday and he likes it so much he's asked me to install it on his computer.
Steve roamin with the Gnomies? Unbelievable! :)

I know Ray, I'm shocked! He was using Kimi's quad core with Vista for several months before I threw in a new HD and installed Mandriva and Slackware. He wasn't happy at first but hey, he's lived Windows free for 2 years, he can live without it again. Besides, I foundGnome had less problems than the KDE version.Temmu...it's a good thing Urmas pointed you in the right direction. I don't know what whence means.LOL

Temmu...it's a good thing Urmas pointed you in the right direction. I don't know what whence means.LOL
Old Englishwhence play_w2("W0114300") (hwebreve.gifns, webreve.gifns)adv.1. From where; from what place: Whence came this traveler?2. From what origin or source: Whence comes this splendid feast?conj.1. Out of which place; from or out of which.2. By reason of which; from which: The dog was coal black from nose to tail, whence the name Shadow.

;) that's alright.when i was on active duty we needed winches for our aircraft.we sent out a message requesting a bunch of wenches. :) :clap: (yes, we got the winches instead. o well...)
:)

One question ... does the install/ grub add my other installs ???
On the test install I did on Ext3 it used the "old" type of grub ( so not grub2 ) and yes other distros on the HD were added automatically to the boot menu.:) Bruno

Thanks Bruno ... install went the way is supposed OK .. no problems , multi boot with the old grub version Used the Gnome desktop .. find it easier to use.. now to get the hang of the new OSCharlie

I was very impressed with the installation last week. I had Mandriva 0ne KDE but I couldn't live with it so I installed Mandriva One Gnome instead. It does just about all I want except accessing the CBC Radio and Television supper time news. Of course! :thumbsdown: But I didn't have to fight the installation for where I wanted Mandy to go ( as I had to do in some old Ubuntu installations. Boy what a pain that used to be! I'm sure it was fine for a clean install but if you had several distros already installed and you wanted it to go on a specific partition you had to keep on backing up and trying it again until the installation would give up and let you do whatever you wanted to do.) :thumbsup: I was given the option to format my sda2 ( mandy / ) but to not format my sda6 ( mandy /home ) which I accepted so that I still have all my Firefox bookmarks, my Documents, etc. .I could have left Mandy's Grub install itself on the MBR because it could see all the other distros but I opted to let it go to it's on / and after rebooting my PCLinuxOS Grub took me directly to Mandriva, no problems. :thumbsup: All in all a fairly smooth installation if I may say so.Urmas! That must make me a wrench kanadian? Does it? :drooling: :whistling: :hysterical:

Edited by réjean

No Sue!I am a French Canadian ( Quebecois ) who moved to Cape Breton Island more than 30 years ago. My last name is Chamberland. Does it mean that I am not a wrench kanadian anymore? :hysterical:

Edited by réjean

No Sue!I am a French Canadian ( Quebecois ) who moved to Cape Breton Island more than 30 years ago. Does it mean that I am not a wrench kanadian? :hysterical:
:thumbsdown: Sounds better than being a wretched Kanadian.

Posting from Mandriva 2010 Gnome right now. It is very smooth and responsive. I had a small problem with videos launching in Firefox. Uninstalled and reinstalled the flash plugin and that fixed things.
I was very impressed with the installation last week. I had Mandriva 0ne KDE but I couldn't live with it so I installed Mandriva One Gnome instead. It does just about all I want except accessing the CBC Radio and Television supper time news. Of course! :thumbsup:
Count me as another one who's pretty impressed with Mandriva 2010 Gnome. (I confess to being negligent in my CanCon intake, Réjean.)I lost my Arch installation on my "work" computer last week. As I understand it, the latest generation of Xorg, or the latest and greatest something, has "lost" support for my run of the mill Intel video card (82852/855GM). Ubuntu had previously discarded the ability to display 1280x1024 through that card, and some other distros I tried from live CDs had the same problem. I let a soi-disant upgrade slip through -- I thought it was a patch on an already-done 1.6 -> 1.7 transition, my mistake -- and lost my video entirely. I reinstalled Arch and got nowhere -- and I was getting good at installing Arch! (I probably should have come on here and hailed down securitybreach, but I needed at that point to get something/anything working without losing any more workdays, or workmornings.)I installed Pardus, which in the past has proven to be a rock-solid distro, but the latest Pardus has KDE 4.2.4, and on this modest computer (a 1.4 GHz Pentium M, 512 MB of memory), KDE 4 runs slower than Windows XP ever did. (Pardus responds quickly to security concerns, but has a leisurely release cycle. I don't know if KDE 4.3 would be an improvement, but I suspect that it wouldn't make that much of a difference.) I couldn't print a full page from OpenOffice Writer. My work depends on an Emacs/Firefox combination, and while I was able to use that with no loss, the jet lag was quite noticeable.I downloaded and burned Mandriva One 2010 more or less out of desperation. I've never had especially good luck with MDV. It's never been a complete failure, but I've never had a completely successful experience with it, either. Therefore, I'm pleased to report that my initial take is very positive.(-1-) I can't call it fast, especially after having Arch on there, but it's slightly but noticeably peppier than Ubuntu 9.04, and a breath of fresh air after the KDE experience. (I'm pleasantly surprised, because the installation was painfully slow, and took 2 tries because the first time I was sure it had died.)(-2-) Visually, it makes a great impression. There is a definable Mandriva Look to which 2010 conforms, but it seems brighter than 2009, which was too Mood Indigo even for me.(-3-) Getting my printer working, and making whatever interface adjustments I needed to get down to work, took almost no time and even less effort. It found and applied the 1280x1024 resolution that other distros don't support on my card any more.(-4-) They got rid of the configuration file that made Emacs display the ugliest terminal fonts in history. And I was able to quickly find and remove the place where they made Emacs do hard line wraps.(-5-) All this was accomplished on a day when I was groggy from not sleeping well, worried about making my monthly allocation, and, probably for the first time since I got the laptop, ticked off at Linux: in brief, the worst possible day to do anything like this. Mandriva 2010 passed the audition.Eddie

Cluttermagnet

I'm downloading Mandriva Gnome 2010 right now. The comments in this thread have been very encouraging. This may be the first actual Mandriva install for me if the live CD plays nice with my old tower that has Ubuntu 6.06 on it. In the past, it was often Mandriva alone that would play nice with stubborn hardware situations, when no other distros would. I was always impressed with its unique ability to adapt to all sorts of oddball 'legacy' hardware. :thumbsup: So this may be my year to begin learning the Mandriva branch of Linux.

I'm still impressed. Sometimes I like to see how many instances of Emacs I can have open before things start to slow down (OK, so I'm easily amused). I got up to seven without any noticeable performance hit, and that's with Firefox open, too. So Mandriva is doing a lovely job at allocating the somewhat limited resources. It's a real pleasure to just get into a groove and not to have to worry about the screen catching up with me.I forgot to mention yesterday that the work computer doesn't have a sound card or a wireless card, so I can't evaluate those (or try to duplicate Réjean's trouble with CBC).Mandriva did give me the option during the installation to turn off all the desktop effects, which I did. Ubuntu gave me three choices after startup -- "none," "some," or "lots" -- and it was more stable if I chose "some" than if I chose "none." At least that was the case in 8.xx; I'm not sure it made that much of a difference in 9.04. Since the work computer is not especially powerful, and I don't even like motion effects, the "none" option is very helpful.I usually don't post twice about a single installation, but I didn't expect to be so enthusiastic about Mandriva 2010. Clutter, I hope you have some fun with it!Eddie

Edited by Eggdog

Cluttermagnet

I'm running One-2010.0-Gnome live CD for the first time. Using an old Compaq Presario SR1115CL with Athlon 2800+, 2.08GHz, at least 512M DDR RAM. Going to put a Linux distro on this box for a friend, wiping out a very buggy, probably hacked XP on a 120G drive. Most likely the OS will be Ubuntu if I can get it to boot. He's only familiar with Ubuntu so far. His daughter will get this unit. She quickly took to Ubuntu and is willing to have this set up Linux only. Amazing, eh? :hysterical: Mandriva didn't find the PS2 mouse or keyboard so far, but took well to adding USB mouse and kbd. I like it so far. I think I'm going to install this OS on my old Ubuntu Dapper box shortly. Will have to learn all the details about updating, etc.I went looking for the Mdv partition editor and could not find it. Is that included in this release? I think I had trouble finding it before.Edit: Ubuntu 9.04 installed successfully to this machine.Can anyone tell me if there is a partition editor included with Mandriva-One-2010.0-GNOME?If so, where are they hiding it?

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Can anyone tell me if there is a partition editor included with Mandriva-One-2010.0-GNOME?If so, where are they hiding it?
You can find the partitioner in the MCC (Configure Your Computer)>Local Disks>Manage Disk Partitions

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Sue! I do remember the partitioner was a little hard for me to find 'last time', like about a year ago. Once I get a copy of Mandriva installed on one of my machines and get familiar with it, I will remember. Kudos to Mandriva for being probably one of the most 'wants to work' distros which can talk to all sorts of legacy hardware in towers. So learning Mandriva is going to be one of my 2010 Linux projects. ;)