Karmic Koala released!

Peachy

I downloaded the Karmic alternate ISO today and installed it on another older PC I'm working on. This one has pretty good specs after I added some hardware:AMD Athlon XP 2400+2 GB DDR RAMASUS motherboardGeForce 6200 512 MB video cardI had all kinds of problems with Ubuntu's proprietary driver manager. I had to try three different Nvidia drivers before I got one that worked OK. Resolution could only be set with the nvidia-settings and then I couldn't save the configuration to xorg.conf. I kept getting a message that I could not parse the existing X config file. This is with an Nvidia card!!!Finally I just blew Ubuntu off and installed Mandriva 2009.1 Gnome. No problems with video configuration whatsoever with Mandriva.The last version of Ubuntu I found to my liking was 8.04.

Edited by raymac46

The last version of Ubuntu I found to my liking was 8.04.
I find that rather interesting because that has been my experience also. Based on your observations about the nVidia drivers, I believe I will just pass on bothering to download this version of Ubuntu, since I have found no recent ones that really did very well, altho this sounds even worse than the last one I tried..Bill Edited by BillD

I like how Linux is supporting Australian animals. First there was Tuz the Tassie Devil, and now Karmic.I think I'll pass on actually using this though, as my Ubuntu delvings have also been less than convincing.

hi The comments on Ubuntu 9.10 are technical ....The first thing I noticed when I stalling is appearance ...All the various splash screens , including log on are a little on the grim side .. I have both 9.04 and 9.10 installed .. will not be using 9.10 until I can delete the offending screens or change themAn suggestion are appreciated Charlie

Cluttermagnet

I'm running 9.10 in live CD session. This baby is lightning fast, surfing the net. I think this is the first time I have driven Firefox 3.5, so I can't tell how much speed is contributed by the OS. I'm still using FF 3.0.xx everywhere. Yes, I'm a slow adopter. Another variable- I have a bad habit of leaving a lot of tabs open. I mean a lot! That slows things down. So I don't know for sure which software is contributing what, so far as the greater speed.Grub2 and ext4 are both a little unsettling, at first glance. I think these are going to slow adoption of Karmic, but only a little.

I've been running Kubuntu 9.10 in VirtualBox in Windows 7 and speed is definitely noticeable. It is so much smoother than 9.04 in a virtual machine. I'm impressed.

I am running it on my computer at my Nevada home fulltime now and except for a problem with grub 2 which was my own fault It has been trouble free for me. As far as the nvidia drivers go I am using the ones that came with Ubuntu I have not tried the proprietary ones yet. I have had no problems with the screens and screen resolution. I am also using a screen changer called webilder 0.64. no problems and it changes screens for me every 30 min and downloads from flikr and from webshots. It is fast and smooth for me. I will be putting it on my other computers also. will report any problems but I don't expect any real hard ones to solve.Mel :thumbsup:

I'm running 9.10 in live CD session. This baby is lightning fast, surfing the net. I think this is the first time I have driven Firefox 3.5, so I can't tell how much speed is contributed by the OS. I'm still using FF 3.0.xx everywhere. Yes, I'm a slow adopter. Another variable- I have a bad habit of leaving a lot of tabs open. I mean a lot! That slows things down. So I don't know for sure which software is contributing what, so far as the greater speed.Grub2 and ext4 are both a little unsettling, at first glance. I think these are going to slow adoption of Karmic, but only a little.
You don't have to use either ext4 or grub2 in 9.10. Just choose ext3 when partitioning your drive during the install. Then don't install grub2. Instead, install grub manually if you don't already have it on another partition.

I downloaded the Karmic alternate ISO today and installed it on another older PC I'm working on. This one has pretty good specs after I added some hardware:AMD Athlon XP 2400+2 GB DDR RAMASUS motherboardGeForce 6200 512 MB video cardI had all kinds of problems with Ubuntu's proprietary driver manager. I had to try three different Nvidia drivers before I got one that worked OK. Resolution could only be set with the nvidia-settings and then I couldn't save the configuration to xorg.conf. I kept getting a message that I could not parse the existing X config file. This is with an Nvidia card!!!Finally I just blew Ubuntu off and installed Mandriva 2009.1 Gnome. No problems with video configuration whatsoever with Mandriva.The last version of Ubuntu I found to my liking was 8.04.
Did you try using just the drivers that came with Ubuntu? I had no problems with the drivers that came with 9.10 and after reading your post decided to try the Nvidia proprietary ones version 173 which was what the restricted driver menu recommended. No problem at all and everything is working fine I can change any of the settings. working great for me. BTW my card is a older one. it is a GeForce FX5200.Mel :thumbsup:

Did you try using just the drivers that came with Ubuntu? I had no problems with the drivers that came with 9.10 and after reading your post decided to try the Nvidia proprietary ones version 173 which was what the restricted driver menu recommended. No problem at all and everything is working fine I can change any of the settings. working great for me. BTW my card is a older one. it is a GeForce FX5200.Mel :thumbsup:
The drivers that came with Ubuntu do not allow any 3D desktop effects and they set the resolution wrong. When I used the proprietary drivers I still had the wrong settings and when I tried to change them they would not stick. There is a bug that will not allow them to be saved properly. I have an nVidia 6200FX which is no youngster either. it works like a charm with Mandriva 2010.

The drivers that came with Ubuntu do not allow any 3D desktop effects and they set the resolution wrong. When I used the proprietary drivers I still had the wrong settings and when I tried to change them they would not stick. There is a bug that will not allow them to be saved properly. I have an nVidia 6200FX which is no youngster either. it works like a charm with Mandriva 2010.
Did you try Alberto Milone's Envy? Here is a link below. It has helped many who have trouble with Nvidia drivers in all Debian type distro'sMel :thumbsup:
"Envy" is an application for Ubuntu Linux and Debian written in Python and PyGTK which will: 1) detect the model of your graphic card (only ATI and Nvidia cards are supported) and install the appropriate driver. However automatic detection can be overridden with the "Manual installation" 2) install the right driver for your card and all the required dependencies 3) configure the Xserver for you Envy features both a GUI (which you can launch only inside a Desktop Environment) and a textual interface which you can use if, for example, you cannot start the Xserver.http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

That's an old standing bug Ray... I know because I've seen it many times. What I did was copy out what the nvidia app planned to save into xorg.conf, and then manually while being temporary su'd as root adjust xorg.conf with exactly these (copied) settings. It always worked like a charm. I certainly hope it does work now too. Maybe give it a try? (and of course back up xorg.conf first!)

That's an old standing bug Ray... I know because I've seen it many times. What I did was copy out what the nvidia app planned to save into xorg.conf, and then manually while being temporary su'd as root adjust xorg.conf with exactly these (copied) settings. It always worked like a charm. I certainly hope it does work now too. Maybe give it a try? (and of course back up xorg.conf first!)
Yes I saw a workaround for it as well, striker. The thing is I never had any of these problems with Mandriva 2010. The display was set right from the beginning. Since I like Mandriva just as well as Ubuntu, I couldn't be bothered trying the workaround. Edited by raymac46

I'm going to download a copy of Ubuntu 9.10 Live. I usually use the alternate install CD but it might be interesting to try the live CD on a couple of my machines just to see how it'll work before an install.One of my main machines has an ATI integrated graphics solution and the other one has Intel integrated graphics. The ATI machine runs 8.04 well and the Intel machine dual boots XP and Mandriva 2010.

I'm going to download a copy of Ubuntu 9.10 Live. I usually use the alternate install CD but it might be interesting to try the live CD on a couple of my machines just to see how it'll work before an install.One of my main machines has an ATI integrated graphics solution and the other one has Intel integrated graphics. The ATI machine runs 8.04 well and the Intel machine dual boots XP and Mandriva 2010.
OK, I have tried the Live Karmic CD on the machine with ATI X1250 graphics. It got the display right, and does provide some basic 3D effects using (I assume) the open source radeonhd driver. Wireless connection was easy enough although I hate the Gnome keyring password that it asks for all the time.I'm still going to stick with Ubuntu 8.04 but I might consider moving to 10.04 LTS after it's released.My problems with Karmic on the original system might have been caused in part because I used the alternate install CD. It's probably a good idea to use the Live version to check things out with a new release.

... although I hate the Gnome keyring password that it asks for all the time.
Disable automatic/timed login. Yeah, it's a tradeoff, I know... <_<

Well, I tried 9.10 running live 3 times in a row on a newer machine using an nVidia 6200 card, and it gave me a different resolution each time, one of which was incorrect aspect ratio for monitor.However, when I tried to run it live on my older machine with an FX5200 nVidia card (which has 8.04 installed and running fine), it gave me a completely black screen for the desktop and would not let me change it to orange or any other color. Thinking maybe this was just a live glitch, I tried installing it. BIG mistake. It would not load the desktop at all; it just came up with some flickering text about log in that I could never read. So I tried booting in safe mode; it came up with text log in, and when I did that, it informed me that there was no xorg.conf and I could not get beyond that . . . ?This is a grim time for Linux between bad updates in PCLinuxOS and non functional installation on older computer with Ubuntu <_< Bill