Hiding inactive icons

nlfatech

When I boot-up in WinXP-Pro, it takes quite a while for the inactive icons on the taskbar to auto-hide themselves. Is there a registry key or some other place that will allow me to shorten the time until Windows decides these icons are inactive?Thanks,-Steve

If you right-click on the taskbar, and hit properties, at the bottom of the box, there's a way to customize your hidden icons to set some to always hide/always show.... I keep only the important ones visible in my case and keep all the others hidden. :)Don't know how to customize the delay for inactivity (might be a registry hack or something), but hopefully this will help! B)

Thanks. I knew about--and had configured--each of the icons to hide/not hide--but there's a 10+ minute delay every time I boot up before WinXP decides I really don't want to see all of them. I'd like to shorten that to <1min. -SD

Regarding the inactive icons autohiding, I know about customizing the taskbar for this feature, but is there a way to make the system remember these setting so you do not need to redo this customizing each time you log on?At least for my Win XP Home system, I have to reset the customizing each time I log on.

Regarding the inactive icons autohiding, I know about customizing the taskbar for this feature, but is there a way to make the system remember these setting so you do not need to redo this customizing each time you log on?At least for my Win XP Home system, I have to reset the customizing each time I log on.
You are doing "Right Click on StartBar>Properties>Taskbar Tab>and check Hide Inactive Icons" right?When that is checked, hit Apply, then OK, and it should save your settings. :)If that doesn't work, let us know B)

Thanks for the quick reply...Yes, I am doing exactly as you said... and the hide feature works fine, as long as I am logged on. But if I log off and then back on again, the settings are gone. I need to go back in and customize the settings again to my preference. Perhaps I should mention that there are some icons I want to have showing all the time. That is why I do the customize thing for a few icons. I set them to "always show". But as mentioned, when logging off and on again the settings do not hold, and I need to reset the custom settings. It seems strange that this would be the case. Maybe it's just something specific to this machine.

I discovered, when I had XP running that because I had system restore turned off, the registry changes I made wouldn't stick. I had to turn system restore back on, make the changes that I wanted and then turn off system restore again. (I probably rebooted in between just to be safe).

Create Multiple TaskBars on the DeskTop instead of using "Hide Inactive Icons" function.This one is so cute and never knew it even existed until I read about it few months ago (07/03). I used it to create a second TaskBar on the right side of my screen (with the AutoHide key enabled). Instead of using the "Hide Inactive Icons", I keep all my trash that normally clutters up my desktop inside this Folder/TaskBar! And I am way anal about keeping the desktop neat!1. Create new Folder on desktop (right click desktop>>New>>Folder) and name it errrrrrr "MyTaskBar" (? Lol)2. Left Click on the Folder and Hold Down the Left Click.3. Now drag and "bump" the Folder against any wall of the desktop (righ/left/top/bottom)4. Presto! Now you can fiddle with the properties (right Click) of the Folder to make it AutoHide or whatever!Notes: * Unfortunately, this Folder MUST always reside on the desktop and cannot be taken away.* This new Taskbar created is actually a shortcut referring to this Folder! * You can (I guess) change the icon of this folder if you wish!* I don’t know what the limit of this feature is: Thus, I would not attempt to create too many (<3) of these* Nor would I attempt to bump one on the same location as the present and the real TaskBar!* Select small fonts/icons for stuff that you put in there