Guide to Securing Windows XP Professional

ibe98765

Adobe Acrobat was designed to be a secure document handling application! Intellectual Property issues! I notice that most government documents are being released as PDFs!They don't want them to be forged and otherwise edited or ripped off!Although many of us may cuss out PDF file format, it is actually a blessing!Have you ever wanted a document you generated (let's say: a Resume) to be uneditable without a password?You have to give Adobe credit though! Although PDFs are not as easily handled as garden variety documents, they have done their best to make them fairly easy to handle! Although the PDF format has been around for around a decade, they are still a de facto standard and one must give Adobe credit for such a standard that has not be diluted with the latest advances in technology!PDF is a format that is like something everyone hates to love! B) They have the market cornered and lately they have been advertising in the media for their latest release of Acrobat! Donot confuse Acrobat Reader with what one must do to generate a PDF document! I have a 6 year old version of the Acrobat Distiller (PDF generator) that still works even in a WinXP system!But I be thinking you already knew all of this! :D

I learned an interesting thing the other day.It seems that some of the XP Pro security options are availible if you boot XP Home into Safe Mode :lol: :lol: I haven't tried it my self; i've never really needed any of those options, but it might be worth taking a look ;)

nlinecomputers
I learned an interesting thing the other day.It seems that some of the XP Pro security options are availible if you boot XP Home into Safe Mode  :lol:  :lol: I haven't tried it my self; i've never really needed any of those options, but it might be worth taking a look ;)
Such as?

Adobe Acrobat was designed to be a secure document handling application!  Intellectual Property issues!  I notice that most government documents are being released as PDFs!They don't want them to be forged and otherwise edited or ripped off!Although many of us may cuss out PDF file format, it is actually a blessing!Have you ever wanted a document you generated (let's say: a Resume) to be uneditable without a password?You have to give Adobe credit though!  Although PDFs are not as easily handled as garden variety documents, they have done their best to make them fairly easy to handle!  Although the PDF format has been around for around a decade, they are still a de facto standard and one must give Adobe credit for such a standard that has not be diluted with the latest advances in technology!PDF is a format that is like something everyone hates to love!    B) They have the market cornered and lately they have been advertising in the media for their latest release of Acrobat!  Donot confuse Acrobat Reader with what one must do to generate a PDF document!  I have a 6 year old version of the Acrobat Distiller (PDF generator) that still works even in a WinXP system!But I be thinking you already knew all of this! :thumbsup:
Don't believe in using periods? :P :teehee: B) :P

QUOTE (SonicDragon @ Sep 18 2003, 06:26 PM)I learned an interesting thing the other day.It seems that some of the XP Pro security options are availible if you boot XP Home into Safe ModeI haven't tried it my self; i've never really needed any of those options, but it might be worth taking a lookSuch as?
I think it had something to do with hiding a file, or maybe file permissions. But, that was just the one i heard, i don't know if there are others or not.

Guest ThunderRiver
Hmmmm....I am wondering why a PDF file needs to be an executable?  B)
Normally, when you click on PDF document link, IE/Firebird would automatically load the PDF file inside the browser and leap away from Microsoft.com That's exactly what Microsoft doesn't want to happen.PDF standard was created because Adobe lost the bet on monopolizing the true type font market in both Mac and Windows platform. Even though PDF is crossplatform, its predecessor is PostScript format. PDF is supposed to be more surperior though.ThunderRiver