Methods to eliminate ripping music onto PC

telecomguy9

telecomguy9

Hello everyone. I have a Windows XP Professional computer that had some music ripped onto it and this shouldn't have been done. I honestly have no way of knowing if Windows Media Player was the program used except for the fact that it's the only software on the PC that can rip music and the files were (I believe) .wma files.What I'm wondering is if there are any known good ways to keep this type of thing from happening. I'm certain the music was ripped from a CD. I know that it could just have easily been downloaded from the Internet or copied via a flash drive. I'm wondering if there might be a way to use Local Computer Policy to setup a policy not allowing ripping of CD's or something like that. Or if you know of any software to lock down a PC let me know that, too.

Hello everyone.
Hi!!! :D
I have a Windows XP Professional computer
What computer?Is it a standalone PC, or is it part of a domain - intranet - local network etc.?Are you using an administrator account, or a restrictive one?Are you the only user, or you're sharing the computer with other persons?In case of a standalone PC, with administrator account, you'll have to pwd protect it and install non-administrator accounts for other users.

redmaledeer

Could you do something with the File Associations? Remove all Associations that point to Windows Media Player (WMP). I think that would keep WMP inactive without uninstalling it. WMP could only process a file if you explicitely told it to do so. That is, if you double-clicked on (for example) a .wma file, the computer would no longer know that it should go to WMP. But it would present you with a list of possible programs, from which you would explicitely pick WMP.

Remove all Associations that point to Windows Media Player (WMP). .... WMP could only process a file if you explicitely told it to do so.
B) If you lock your front door but leave the back door unlocked is your house safe? The thief after all would have to go around to the back to get in.The same effect as renaming the WMP exe file. imo

Hello everyone. I have a Windows XP Professional computer that had some music ripped onto it and this shouldn't have been done. I honestly have no way of knowing if Windows Media Player was the program used except for the fact that it's the only software on the PC that can rip music and the files were (I believe) .wma files.What I'm wondering is if there are any known good ways to keep this type of thing from happening. I'm certain the music was ripped from a CD. I know that it could just have easily been downloaded from the Internet or copied via a flash drive. I'm wondering if there might be a way to use Local Computer Policy to setup a policy not allowing ripping of CD's or something like that. Or if you know of any software to lock down a PC let me know that, too.
Take the keys to the Porche away from whoever it was that ripped the music. B)