a desktop PC mystery, identify the failing component

jeffw_00

thanks Aryeh - video is the only card in the system. If I can 'prove' it's heat the solution is, indeed, to add another fan./j

If its something simple as an overheating gpu then grab rivatuner, and you can manually set the fan speed to 75% and it should solve the bsod. Also if you are up to it removing the heatsink and re-applying tim helps in a lot of cases because they are so sloppy putting it on that there is often enough for five or six cards. Check with the maker to ensure it won't void the warranty. An example of how bad it can be, and this is the fastest card you can buy.

Yea not slowing down, it is probably not running that high on load. Once you install that program you can monitor the temps and fan speeds. It all depends on the bios settings at the time that card was released at the temp that the fan speeds up, and how fast. I have had several cards that had the wrong settings, and later versions had different settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - it wasn't a mystery at all. The red herring I still can't explain is why the quick replacement of the video card with a similar one didn't result in a fix. However, after getting the machine back to working condition (i.e., shutting it off for 10 min), a replacement of the video card seems to have fixed the problem (1.5 weeks no failures with the skins on, even after playing the games that caused failure before). Thanks everyone - seems to just have been a failing video card/j