Insecure by Design?

Guest LilBambi

bottom line: who's more likely to exploit windows flaws? middle eastern terrorists, or your own government trying to track down who's using kazaa or not? i say option 2 is more believable.
That's just what "they" are hoping you'll think! ;)
IRONIC TIMES
Fun link...but I wish they'd get it right. This is satire, or parady...not irony. Maybe "Satirical Times" was already taken. :D

Guest ThunderRiver
I agree that the XP firewall should be turned on by default, but it's not MS's fault that the average computer user isn't knowledgeable enough to know how to protect themselves.  Personally, I'd like to see every computer buyer take a basics class before they can buy a computer...  This would solve all sorts of problems. :)
Ryan, thats very wishful thinking. :) i mean, i think everyone who is going to bring a child into this world needs to go thru parenting course, and everyone applying for a credit card must take some financial course, but those things aren't happening.but along those lines, how about a FORCED tutorial they have to step thru, and only if you go like SETUP.EXE -notutorial can it be bypassed. and if they fail a simple multiple choice quiz at end of tutorial, drive gets formatted and you are ordered to return the OS back to the store and take some further lessons. :rolleyes:but about Windows2003, you're wrong Ryan. Windows Audio is enabled by default. so are about 30+ services. i still have to use black viper to tweak it down some more. even Automatic Updates is turned on. but among notable missing features is Themes are disable by default (but can be enabled) and System Restore is a fignment of imagination: it doesnt even appear anywhere. but i like it, i like it. makes me wanna start saving $1000 for it. ;)
Yeah, the Windows Audio service is enabled since RC2 3718 I believe. It is not just because it doesn't run a lot of serivce. It is mainly because Microsoft tweaked the kernel as well as the rest of the system; thus it is considerablly faster and more stable than XP Client. Before my 80 Gb Maxtor burnt out recently, I was running Windows 2003 Enterprise Server as my server, and it works very well. Like Marsden11, I got the copy for free.I like it so much that I could use it as a desktop. In fact, I do use it as a desktop as well as a server, working well in both ways.I do have to say that Microsoft used to be insecure by design, but now they are focusing on security as their top issues. Most of the time, people only see vulnerabilities and bugs inside Windows, but they never cared about how much efforts that Microsoft is trying to make its product better. It only takes one bug out of thousands and thousands of codes for people (like those near-do-wells on SlashDot) to point at Microsoft as if Bill Gates is on crack, and Microsoft is always wrong or something.

Guest ThunderRiver
It seems that it is not so hard to learn important tasks like how to install Themes, and Change Screen Savers. (A lot of people buy XP Plus packages).But learn about Security, or Firewall Brrrr. G-D forbid, and how can you resist opening the attachment that includes your Wicked Screen Saver.Microwave manufactures has to list a List of No NOs. (One lady dried her Dog in the Microwave). OS manufactures should too.
Jackr, I under-appreciate your analogy, and I find it quite gross and offending. Do you have any clues what kind of pain that dog has to go through inside a microwave? Jesus man.

Weird... I ran the Evaluation version from MS's website not too long after the final version was released, and I had to manually turn on the Windows Audio... Don't know why if no one else did.

Guest ThunderRiver
Weird... I ran the Evaluation version from MS's website not too long after the final version was released, and I had to manually turn on the Windows Audio...  Don't know why if no one else did.
It was enabled by default because a number of testers feel that they would rather hear sound from speaker than from the machine beeping. It doesn't really use much system resources though. That's the only disabled service that was enabled since RC2. Back in RC1 and post RC1, it was still disabled.