Who needs funny pages?

sunrat

V.T. Eric Layton

*sigh*I'd have to say both the original posters were wrong in that thread. The poster asking for help (james0) obviously did not bother to even do the most preliminary search/research for his answers. He shows himself to be one of those tech forum posters who feel that they can be told every little thing without ever having to make any effort other than asking.On the other side of the coin, while I agree with Soul Singin's point, I do not agree with his/her methods. RTFM is not a constructive means of assisting neophytes in learning how to learn. The best teacher teaches the student to learn on his own. Intelligence is NOT what you know. It's knowing where to find what you need to know.I logged in over there with the intention of inviting james0 to this forum. However, I decided it was best to not get involved.

It would have been a lot easier if the question had been answered, and the links provided for future reference. It would soon become apparent if the original op was up to the task of helping himself. What if he was brand new, and really had no clue? There was a time when I had no clue, and my question was answered - both with the solution and in how to get things done through a bit of work on my part. Glad I didn't get that dude first!

I can at times be very "new explorer" in my questions. I know some answers but clearing there are lots of things I don't know! Fortunately, people here have an endless supply of patience.I help at the eeepc users forum. We get the type that wants all the hand-holding. I will do a nice step by step on things like using synaptic but if the person eventually wants everything done for him/her and shows no sign of wanting to think for himself/herself, I just ignore the posts after the first few. It is easier to ignore than to waste space and clutter a forum with useless replies.My philosophy, offer help or keep quiet. There is little point in flaming someone other than to use a forum as your personal blog.I guess I'll venture over and see if anything useful was in the thread.I see the OP started the flame war by asking for help then proceeding to flame the person who posted - tell us what you tried! So, in this case, he deserves the replies he is getting. You don't ask for help then proceed to bad mouth the people trying to help.

Edited by zlim

V.T. Eric Layton

I came from a technical background long before ever getting into computers, so my brain may already have been trained to seek out my own solutions before asking. I s'pose in that respect I was never a true "clueless" ncensored2mm.gifbie. I always try to find my own answers before asking something... that's just me, though. I found that search engines are wonderful things. smilenod1pu.gif

I think the OP was scared back to ubuntu after his experience. Still, there are a lot of good helpful people on the Debian user forums.

I read 2 pages in that thread and got fed up. I'm not good with confrontation, even when I'm not involved. ;) I try to find the answers myself before finally asking for help but sometimes it doesn't quite sink in or I don't understand the terminology (ok, I'm getting better with that). Had I been treated like that in the beginning...oh wait, I was told in a few forums to RTFM and just learned recently what that meant.We've got it really good here. :whistling:

We've got it really good here.
Amen. I point people wanting to learn about linux here.I tell them to read some of the posts then sign up and start asking questions. Bruno has an endless supply of patience. B)

Amen. I point people wanting to learn about linux here.I tell them to read some of the posts then sign up and start asking questions. Bruno has an endless supply of patience. B)
I've referred a few people here because of Bruno's and everyone's endless supply of patience. :)

V.T. Eric Layton
...because of Bruno's and everyone's endless supply of patience. B)
Well, at least Bruno's. I cannot in all honesty profess to being endlessly patient. Sometimes, I just wanna'... fight2.gif

Well, at least Bruno's. I cannot in all honesty profess to being endlessly patient. Sometimes, I just wanna'... fight2.gif
If you ever feel that way when helping someone here, you sure don't show it. When it comes to problems you may be having yourself, OTOH, boys oh boys, I don't know anyone who's less patient than you are! B)

This aint funny. Went to forums today and found this. I posted it here as its probably not worth a new topic. :) B) :(

forums.debian.net disabledforums.debian.net is a debian.net service run by a set of DDs for thecommunity. It's not an official Debian service run or maintained bythe project or DSA (then it would be forums.debian.org).Nevertheless it was hosted on debian.org hardware since sometime lastyear because the original system it was on was an under-the-desk kind of"server" that was falling apart and the forum admins wanted to continue toprovide this service.DSA gave them access to tartini.debian.org, which was unused at thetime. Since then, this system has been dedicated to runningforums.debian.net; it was decided to not use tartini for any otherservices due to security concerns.This afternoon DSA received reports that forums.debian.net might havebeen compromised: registered users had been email spammed from theforums software.forums.debian.net has therefore been disabled.It is not known when or if or how forums.debian.net will return.We currently have no reason to believe that tartini itself wascompromised.For DSA,Peter
Edited by sunrat

I've referred a few people here because of Bruno's and everyone's endless supply of patience. :)
A forum is a comunity of people and if this place is nice to hang out it is because of ALL the people visiting.This forum is the result of the effort all members, moderators and admins give to make it a friendly place. Thanks to all of you :thumbup:About the forums.debian.net: We are on a more secure server now, but most of you will remember also Scots forum has had problems last year. It is a shame that there are idiots wasting time on damaging forums like that.B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton
...It is a shame that there are idiots wasting time on damaging forums like that.
Yup. Pimply-faced 13 year olds with cases of sugary, caffeine-laden soda and a seemingly endless supply of pizza... same ones who pirate commercial software and design viruses to aggravate Microsoft users.