Should I re-name Administrator Account

DkMuse

I have seen where some people advise tore-name the Administrator account. I canunderstand that a hacker could use thisto gain access if he can get your password.However, if I re-name the account - then atthe loggon screen, using ctrl-alt-delete-deletedoes not bring up the loggon prompt. Furthersome command line programs like Sfc.exe willnot run unless I am in an account calledAdministrator. I am using WinXP-Pro. I haveNorton Internet Security Installed on a systemwhich accessess the internet via 56k modem andNational ISP. Is this a critical change I should make, and isthere a way to gain back my functionality if Ire-name the account?

nlinecomputers
Furthersome command line programs like Sfc.exe willnot run unless I am in an account calledAdministrator.
That is not correct. You need Administrator rights not a user named Admnistrator. You can rename the account will no ill effect from my experience.

I updated over Windows98 SE Maybe it didn't like somethingor maybe I just have a quirky copy of WinXP Pro. All I knowis - it won't let me from just an account with AdministratorPrivledges. It just wouldn't do it. But, thanks I appreciateyour time.

I updated over Windows98 SE Maybe it didn't like somethingor maybe I just have a quirky copy of WinXP Pro. All I knowis - it won't let me from just an account with AdministratorPrivledges. It just wouldn't do it. But, thanks I appreciateyour time.
I had a similar problem in the past with Win2k. I gave up and never spent any real time trying to get to the bottom of the problem.The reason behind the recommendation is to just make it more difficult for anyone who gains access to your system. If they have to try and guess both an account name and a password, then that is harder than knowing an account name (Administrator) and just trying to figure out the password for that account.

The following is verbatim from the uS TechNet site"This security setting determines whether a different account name is associated with the security identifier (SID) for the account Administrator. Because the Administrator account is known to exist on all computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, and the Windows Server 2003 family, renaming the account makes it slightly more difficult for unauthorized persons to guess this privileged user name and password combination.