Computerworld News Feed Added

Scot

You'll notice that I've added a new second forum. It contains a read-only feed of news stories delivered from Computerworld (where I have a day job as editor in chief). I know this news team as the best on the planet, so I think you will like it.Some stories in the feed may be news analysis, and not hard news. Some stories may be opinions. But 95% of the feed is the news as it's created by the Computerworld and IDG News teams. (IDG News is an internal wire service generated by Computerworld's parent company, IDG.)The forum software is pulling from the feed every 30 minutes (its maximum frequency). The date stamps are not the original creation dates, they're the dates and times that the forums software polled the feed. So they're off by 15-45 minutes or so.Please let me know whether you feel this is a valuable addition to SNF. If people don't like it, it's easy to remove.-- Scot

Dissenting opinion (sort of):I don't have any problem with having the feed, but it's bloating the "view new posts" function. Posts by members get lost among pages of items from the feed.If anyone else finds this annoying... Is there any way to exclude the news feed from "View New Posts? .... or perhaps have a separate "button" for posts by members?

I'm with you, Pete. While I like feed content of that sort, I'd rather have more control over it with my own reader than being force-fed through a forum. And while I love forums and feeds, I like to keep them separate.Not a bad idea...but IMHO, I'd like to just be pointed to the feed url and I'll load it up in Google Reader.

I wonder who benefits from the AARP ads in the postings. Seems to be in every 5th one.The postings are only headlines, a synopses or summary of the articles would be better.Of course if someone were interested on ComputerWorld's articles I assume they would add ComputerWorlds's RSS feed to their RSS reader directly rather than coming here for the articles.http://www.computerworld.com/action/pages....ml/newsfeed_xml

Edited by EdP

Dissenting opinion (sort of):I don't have any problem with having the feed, but it's bloating the "view new posts" function. Posts by members get lost among pages of items from the feed.If anyone else finds this annoying... Is there any way to exclude the news feed from "View New Posts? .... or perhaps have a separate "button" for posts by members?
Done. I don't use View New Posts, so I wasn't aware of this issue. I've excluded that forum from View New Posts. Let me know if there are other issues -- and if you have a beef, please describe it in detail.The CW News topics will remain closed to discussion. Some of you may recall that we explored having a news-discussion forum several years ago and it was a bit of a disaster. I would love to see us have healthy discussion about tech news, but it would be a ton of work for our moderators and admins.Those of you who want CW news in your RSS reader, nothing is stopping you from doing that. The feed I'm using is called Latest from Computerworld:http://feeds.computerworld.com/Computerworld/NewsFinally, EdP, each news story has both a headline and a synopsis (what editors call a blurb). Look again.There's also a link in each entry to the full story. The forum will only display entries that are under a week old. After that, they disappear.-- Scot Edited by Scot

add another complaint that the 'computernews feed' is polluting the 'View New Posts'Suggestion: for the 'ComputerNews Feed Posts' , just list 1 entry on the 'View New Posts' to let people know that there has been a new post and if the user wants more information, they can click on that entry and be given a listing of all the new 'ComputerNews Feed' posts.

Guest LilBambi

Scot, thanks for removing the Computerworld news posts from the 'view new posts' ... didn't realize that was happening but certainly a very valid point! B)