Problem with Google site

rolanaj

I am having a problem logging into gmail and google.com/ig I put my username and password in and it says it is loading the page but then it turns into a blank page and tells me it is done. This is using Firefox 3.0.5, when I use IE I get an error telling me this page cannot be loaded. Is anyone else having a problem with Google?

I am having a problem logging into gmail and google.com/ig I put my username and password in and it says it is loading the page but then it turns into a blank page and tells me it is done. This is using Firefox 3.0.5, when I use IE I get an error telling me this page cannot be loaded. Is anyone else having a problem with Google?
I too have had that problem but it's been rather sporadic and I don't think it's browser specific. (I'm a Firefox and Opera user). I haven't seen the problem come up in the last 2 weeks; it's been very good lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is getting weird. I just update java thinking that might fix the problem, now not only does gmail not load neither does yahoo mail. I have no idea what is going on here.

Have you ever been to fortunecity.com ?Maybe check the contents of this thread:http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-...gle-search.html(yes I know it's old but it still is actual)Another thing: try this one in the address bar of your browser:66.249.91.104(It's one of googles addresses)Do you land on google now? If yes, you may be suffering a DNS error of some sort.

I haven't been to fortunecity.com not even sure what it is. I did read the thread but I am having a similar problem in Linux although I can log into google.com/ig and access my gmail from there which I can not do in Windows. Would this trojan affect Linux as well? Yahoo has been having a problem with their email, you get a http error 200 when you try to open a message, try again after and sometimes it opens. I've been talking to their support team and they are aware of the problem. I have heard nothing about any problems with google at all. I did notice that I was able to open gmail until I had a firefox update in Linux which makes me think it may have something to do with the version of firefox I am running. I have not tried Opera and I probably should.That link does take me to Google Striker but so does www.google.com the problem is when I try to log in, it acts like it is working and then opens a completely blank page.

I haven't been to fortunecity.com not even sure what it is. I did read the thread but I am having a similar problem in Linux although I can log into google.com/ig and access my gmail from there which I can not do in Windows. Would this trojan affect Linux as well?
I don't think so.
Yahoo has been having a problem with their email, you get a http error 200 when you try to open a message, try again after and sometimes it opens. I've been talking to their support team and they are aware of the problem. I have heard nothing about any problems with google at all. I did notice that I was able to open gmail until I had a firefox update in Linux which makes me think it may have something to do with the version of firefox I am running. I have not tried Opera and I probably should.That link does take me to Google Striker but so does www.google.com the problem is when I try to log in, it acts like it is working and then opens a completely blank page.
Then it's not a dns problem, that's good.I wonder what happens when you use the safe mode option with Firefox? Can you try that to see what happens?

In windows, it should be listed in the programs/Mozilla Firefox then Mozilla Firefox (Safe mode).In linux, from terminal

firefox -safe-mode

That is for my eeepc; I'm not sure if that is the code for all distros.I just opened gmail on my eeepc using FF 2.0.14 with no problem.Since it uses https, check that for some reason you might have secure sites blocked. That could be the reason it doesn't finish loading for you.

Edited by zlim

Well it still won't load even with Firefox in safe mode. I tried Opera too and I had no luck with it either. I did notice that Mandriva was set to internet security - high and I switched that to standard but it doesn't seem to have fixed it. It seems strange to me that I was able to log into Google in Linux before Firefox updated.

* Clear/delete all cookies (or only the mail.google.com cookies)* Clear your browser cache(Tools > Options > tab Privacy and the other one Tools > Options > tab Advanced > tab Network: Offline storage > button Clear Now)

I tried deleting all the cookies and that didn't work, I added www.google.com to my allowed sites and that let me log into gmail. When I tried to delete some emails though it gave me a blank page again, refreshing it sometimes brings up the page though. Another thing I am getting some messages when I am in Linux asking me what I want to do with the file I requested, I haven't requested anything. This has mostly been happening at the Facebook site and it is usually a php file and I cancel it as I have no idea what it is. I did get this one from google today though:You have chosen to open answer.pywhich is a: Python scriptfrom: http://www.google.comWhat should Firefox do with this file?Open with Twxt editor (default)save fileDoes anyone have any idea what this is about?

It's a python script often used at google and their pages. You can have some examples when searching for it with these:'answer.py+google.com'Now that script could off course be 'modified' to so some other things, so without the script in question you just can't say what it does.Now something flew by in my mind, you don't use IMAP do you? Or in the settings at gmail, is there something enabled regarding IMAP?I would take another machine if necessary, go to gmail.com, log in and have a thorough look at the settings for your account. Anything out of order in there?Javascript enabled when trying to log in with the fox?I'm getting out of ideas... I never have seen that behavior like you described, I mean not with gmail. Other sites yes, but that always had something to do with something of that site being blocked by me in adblock (plus), or some other extension like Remove It Permanently. Facebook and that sort of sites I would stay away from it: to high a risk.BTW: Can you still reach any anti-virus companies web sites and update you AV?

I am back in windows and still can not log into gmail. I tried deleting all the cookies and adding www.google.com to the sites allowed but it had no effect. Is it possible this has something to do with my ISP? I tried sending email from Linux (kmail) and Windows (outlook express) and it said:

Your Smtp server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for the server to respond?
I'm going to hook up my sons laptop and see if it has this problem as well. This is just a little frustrating.

rolana, wouldn't it be better to ask a mod to move the thread to the Browser and Email section? That way it may be getting more attention than it does now.Let's see what I can come up with next... :hysterical: Is SSL enabled in the email program? And if offered by the mail program, use the option 'Use non-blocking SSL'.For the sending port (SMTP) I use port 587. Port 465 is another possibility, although in the past sometimes I got an error. That's why I use 587.For sending (SMTP) SMTP Authentication needs to be enabled. Is it enabled?

Well I got an email to send from outlook express last night but today we are back to not being able to send. My Smtp server is not responding. It also does not support SSL.

rolana, SSL needs to be available in your email program and enabled if you want to use it for sending mail through gmail. I'm not familiar with OE (I don't use that) but most other email programs support sending with SSL support.I think that is the problem you have, at least on the windows site of things. You need SSL support and it has to be enabled in the mail client, otherwise you'll not be able to send any mail through gmail.Use any ordinary web browser and head over to www.gmail.comLog in with your username and password.Goto the help files and search for the set up instructions for the mail client your using. For other mail clients are set up instructions available also.Go back to the gmail settings: see to it you have all settings set as they should be. Log out.Start your email client.Type a one liner 'test' message and send it from your gmail account to your self.Does that work now?BTW: Before I forget, previously I used The Bat! mail client for years, I had a license for it. Someday somewhere in the past it suddenly refused to send emails through gmail while all other accounts I have still worked flawlessly. There was no solution for this problem, except the usual reinstall (which of course did not solve the problem) or 'upgrade to the newest version'... So I ditched it and switched to another mail client, free, and no- not thunderbird. In other words the problem your having is not unknown to me. Now I use sylpheed which I also happily used in linux.

Hello,Perhaps your computer's DNS lookup results are being redirected to a web site that only looks like Google's?If you open a Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE) and issue "nslookup www.google.com" and "ping www.google.com" what is reported back to you as the IP address for the web site?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Well in Linux I get:

$ nslookup www.google.comServer: 142.166.145.137Address: 142.166.145.137#53Non-authoritative answer:www.google.com canonical name = www.l.google.com.Name: www.l.google.comAddress: 64.233.161.147Name: www.l.google.comAddress: 64.233.161.99Name: www.l.google.comAddress: 64.233.161.104
Not sure if that helps any but I can check in Windows and see what happens

Well it looks ok to me from Windows too:

>nslookup www.google.comNon-authoritative answer:Name: www.l.google.comAddresses: 64.233.161.104, 64.233.161.147, 64.233.161.99Aliases: www.google.com>ping www.google.comPinging www.l.google.com [64.233.161.147] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=158ms TTL=244Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=148ms TTL=244Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=146ms TTL=244Reply from 64.233.161.147: bytes=32 time=144ms TTL=244Ping statistics for 64.233.161.147: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 144ms, Maximum = 158ms, Average = 149ms

I set my email client up to download gmail and it works great so that pretty much solves that problem. I am still getting the pop ups asking me what I want to do with the files I requested I get one on Scotsnewsletter forum for index.php. This doesn't happen in Windows at all so its just Linux perhaps I should ask on the Linux forum.

B) finally solved, congrats rolana.
I am still getting the pop ups asking me what I want to do with the files I requested I get one on Scotsnewsletter forum for index.php. This doesn't happen in Windows at all so its just Linux perhaps I should ask on the Linux forum.
Sometimes I see that too on other sites, however not on these forums.I suspect it is a firefox issue but I can't prove that.What I do mostly in those situations is bail out of that question dialog and reload the page, then right click the link to open in a new tab. Most of the time that solves it but not always. I guess it's one of the shortcomings of something in the system, either offline or online, who knows... anyway, glad the initial issue is resolved. Happy computing rolana.