Where are the Vista wireless drivers and inf file?

onederer

I have in my HP DV6100 Pavillion laptop, an AtherosCommunication Inc. AR242x/802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter.I was looking in the Vista "inf" file folder to see if I could make out something understandable which could be used with Mint Linux's ndiswrapper. Any of the files that I selected were rejected by the OS as not usable. Anyone know which file it is, and where it is?

I have in my HP DV6100 Pavillion laptop, an AtherosCommunication Inc. AR242x/802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter.I was looking in the Vista "inf" file folder to see if I could make out something understandable which could be used with Mint Linux's ndiswrapper. Any of the files that I selected were rejected by the OS as not usable. Anyone know which file it is, and where it is?
I'm not a linux expert by any means but I doubt that the inf file would do you much good. Typically those files only contain text configuration settings and even if you were to glean some information from it, you would still need to find the appropriate library files for the wireless NIC. The binary file for the windows driver isn't going to do you much good. To answer your question, drivers are typically stored here for Vista:c:\windows\system32\drivers

I'm not a linux expert by any means but I doubt that the inf file would do you much good. Typically those files only contain text configuration settings and even if you were to glean some information from it, you would still need to find the appropriate library files for the wireless NIC. The binary file for the windows driver isn't going to do you much good. To answer your question, drivers are typically stored here for Vista:c:\windows\system32\drivers
Ndiswrapper is a Linux system that uses the Windows drivers for wireless NICs that don't have (or you can't find) Linux drivers. It does use the .inf file. I thought I had shown where the drivers for this card could found in Linux tar file but apparently onederer had a problem with it and is still looking for them on his Vista partition. But I don't think he'll find them there because they are on the install CD for the nic. Win uses the .inf file for setting up the driver.sys file but doesn't always keep it. Edited by lewmur

Hello,Did your HP Pavilion DV6100 notebook computer originally come with the Atheros Communication, Inc. AR242x 802.11a/b/g wireless Mini-PCIe adapter? The reason that I ask is that I made several attempts to find device drivers for Windows Vista on this combination of hardware, and all I could find were the Broadcom and Intel wireless driver downloads.Perhaps one of the Linux driver sets available for download here on Atheros web site will work for you?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,Did your HP Pavilion DV6100 notebook computer originally come with the Atheros Communication, Inc. AR242x 802.11a/b/g wireless Mini-PCIe adapter? The reason that I ask is that I made several attempts to find device drivers for Windows Vista on this combination of hardware, and all I could find were the Broadcom and Intel wireless driver downloads.Perhaps one of the Linux driver sets available for download here on Atheros web site will work for you?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
He doesn't need Vista drivers. He needs Windows drivers to work with Ndiswrapper in Linux. XP or w2k drivers would work fine. But he has Vista installed in dual boot and wants to use the drivers already installed on the Vista partition to use in Linux. I've already told him that that won't work because the .inf file isn't saved. I have offered to email the two files he needs. I haven't heard back from him.

hey, onederer, how did it turn out?did you try mint's own software manager?rsvp!
Mint is now in the retirement repository, in a box in a closet. I then tried Sabayon (which I like very much), but with the same results. I got nowhere using Madwifi, ndiswrapper, or wicd. They all tell me that the flags can't bee seen. It just isn't happening!. So, Sabayon is also now in retirement. I'm now using 64-bit Kubuntu 8.04. I'm still trying all angles on this one, but currently inconclusive. I'm not finished yet.None of them have been laptop wireless friendly. It's a lot of work! Last night, I fell asleep at the computer, while trying to solve this. My wife woke me up and shipped me to bed. I've been a few days on this one also. I don't want to install any one of those distros unless they can work using wireless. Perhaps running them "live is interfering with being able to install wireless capability?Anyone know of an easy to install wireless, laptop friendly OS that I can use? I need it for two laptops. One is to replace Freespire, which has been sorta abandoned by their maintainers, and the other, to be installed in a large capacity Flash Memory (the laptop can boot flash drives and/or SDA memories). Edited by onederer

Oh yea! That's what it came with! And now I'm wrestling with it! Edited by onederer

Mint is now in the retirement repository, in a box in a closet. I then tried Sabayon (which I like very much), but with the same results. I got nowhere using Madwifi, ndiswrapper, or wicd. They all tell me that the flags can't bee seen. It just isn't happening!. So, Sabayon is also now in retirement. I'm now using 64-bit Kubuntu 8.04. I'm still trying all angles on this one, but currently inconclusive. I'm not finished yet.None of them have been laptop wireless friendly. It's a lot of work! Last night, I fell asleep at the computer, while trying to solve this. My wife woke me up and shipped me to bed. I've been a few days on this one also. I don't want to install any one of those distros unless they can work using wireless. Perhaps running them "live is interfering with being able to install wireless capability?Anyone know of an easy to install wireless, laptop friendly OS that I can use? I need it for two laptops. One is to replace Freespire, which has been sorta abandoned by their maintainers, and the other, to be installed in a large capacity Flash Memory (the laptop can boot flash drives and/or SDA memories).
ndiswrapper isn't going to work in ANY distro until you get the two files I've offered to send you. The problem isn't with the distros. It is that you don't have the .inf and .sys files you need. I have them if you want them. All you have to do is send me a Private Message to let me know where to send them.Or you can keep spinning your wheels forever, trying distro after distro because no distro is allowed to furnish them. They are proprietary. ;) Edited by lewmur

Anyone know of an easy to install wireless, laptop friendly OS that I can use?
Sorry. I had the same problem with an HP laptop using a PCMCIA card. I finally just bit the bullet and bought a netbook. Problem solved - linux running and wifi working. Edited by zlim

Sorry. I had the same problem with an HP laptop using a PCMCIA card. I finally just bit the bullet and bought a netbook. Problem solved - linux running and wifi working.
A rather drastic solution for something that shouldn't take ten minutes to fix. :thumbsup:

You it might take 10 minutes. For me, it takes months because most distros don't like my old nb hardware and then there is no guarantee that I would be able to go wireless. Besides my HP weighs between 7 and 8 pounds and my eeepc is under 2 pounds. I love it!

You it might take 10 minutes. For me, it takes months because most distros don't like my old nb hardware and then there is no guarantee that I would be able to go wireless. Besides my HP weighs between 7 and 8 pounds and my eeepc is under 2 pounds. I love it!
The whole point of ndiswrapper is that Linux doesn't have to like your hardware. It uses the WINDOWS drivers for the wireless connection! Onederer's problem was that he couldn't find the Windows .inf and .sys files for his NIC. Even though I offered to email them to him several times and also gave him a link to where he could find them. Remember the old saying that goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink?"Sure you weren't just looking for an excuse to buy the pretty new eeepc? :hysterical: Edited by lewmur

If I have the chance to lug 7.5 pounds or 2 pounds around, guess what I'll pick? :whistling:Add to that the fact that even with the two drivers from windows, I could not get ndiswrapper to work for me.I'm the perennial linux new explorer. Sad but true!

Edited by zlim

If I have the chance to lug 7.5 pounds or 2 pounds around, guess what I'll pick? :whistling:Add to that the fact that even with the two drivers from windows, I could not get ndiswrapper to work for me.I'm the perennial linux new explorer. Sad but true!
I hear you, but, personally, I'd rather lug the 7.5 than put up with the tiny screen. My old eyes have enough problems with a 15.4 screen. :hysterical: