longgone

Antivirus WinXP 2008

longgone
:hysterical: :) .... I think ... on the confusing machine .. b2cm is correct .. Disk0 (F:) aka hda has the system loaded onto partition 1 .. and on Disk1 (C:) aka hdb has the boot files ... why this machine does not see the hard drives as c and d I have no idea .. so when/if I d/l something is it going to go to the system or the boot .. the boot partition is 19.53GB .. that is a lot for just the boot files ......

Tushman
I think ... on the confusing machine .. b2cm is correct .. Disk0 (F:) aka hda has the system loaded onto partition 1 .. and on Disk1 (C:) aka hdb has the boot files.
Nonsense. You cannot have the boot files split onto 2 different drives. You either have the OS installed on Drive A or B; it's either or - not both.As already suggested by me and Goretsky - run the Disk Management console and see which of the two drives XP is installed on by looking at the disk usage.

longgone

Tushman.................As suggested .. "I" ... did run the diskmgmt.msc command and that is where I got the info from that I posted ...

longgone

To possibly add clarification on this .. here is the exact info from the diskmgmt.msc command :::Disk0 (F:) partition 1 .. 20.51GB NTFS Healthy (System) partition 2 .. 36.75GB UnallocatedDisk1 (C:) partition 1 19.53GB NTFS Healthy (Boot) (G:) partition 2 19.53GB Healthy (H:) partition 3 19.53GB Healthy34.55GB Free Space Partitions G and H are both extended partitionsand that is everything from that command

b2cm
so when/if I d/l something is it going to go to the system or the boot
To clarify the use of terms you might want to read this: Microsoft's definitions for system volume and boot volume.And so,"system" = This is where you will see the boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr, etc. "boot" = This is where you will see the Documents and Settings, Program Files and Windows folder.That means, if you download something, it will go to "boot" partition/volume, ie "C:\Documents and Settings\Longgone\My Documents\Downloads". Edited by b2cm

Tushman
To possibly add clarification on this .. here is the exact info from the diskmgmt.msc command :::Disk0 (F:) partition 1 .. 20.51GB NTFS Healthy (System) partition 2 .. 36.75GB UnallocatedDisk1 (C:) partition 1 19.53GB NTFS Healthy (Boot) (G:) partition 2 19.53GB Healthy (H:) partition 3 19.53GB Healthy34.55GB Free Space Partitions G and H are both extended partitionsand that is everything from that command
At the command prompt line (not to be confused w/ the run command line), type the following 2 commands without the quotes:"set systemdrive /?""set systemroot /?"The latter will tell you where the Windows system files have been installed.