Forums Outage Yesterday

Scot

Anyone who visited SNF for about a 26-hour period beginning on Monday night just before midnight (Eastern Time) and extending until about Wednesday at around 2AM saw a MySQL error message. Per usual, the MySQL error message didn't really match the actual problem. The MySQL message implied that we had too many connections. The actual problem was that all our MySQL database files disappeared on the server.First thing on Tuesday AM, I filed a troubled ticket with IX, our webhost. Almost 24 hours later, I still don't have an answer from IX on that trouble ticket. But all the database files reappeared.I don't know at this time if we have lost any posts. I don't know whether we might have been hacked, whether IX was hacked, whether they had a hardware problem, whether there was a mistake made by someone in accidentally deleting our database files, or what. I can only speculate at this time.I could use your help with something. Can you help me verify whether posts have been lost? If we didn't lose any previously-completed posts, then that's a strong indicator of the possible occurrences. If it was an external attack on SNF or IX's servers, then we would likely have lost posts. IX takes daily backups, so we would probably have lost 24 - 48 hours of posts.Feel free to either post any information you have here or send me a private email.Thanks, and sorry for the interruption on the forums.-- Scot

As far as I can tell - regarding posts in ATL only - I don't see any posts lost, however other members may find different. I haven't noticed any complaints about lost posts yet.

Thanks, Striker. Others have said the same thing. I believe we didn't lose any posts.To me that implies some sort of error on the part of my webhost. They may have accidentally moved the database files and then moved them back. Not sure. It's something like that.I should have the details, but now some 36 hours later, my ticket has not been answered at all.-- Scot

Thanks, Striker. Others have said the same thing. I believe we didn't lose any posts.To me that implies some sort of error on the part of my webhost. They may have accidentally moved the database files and then moved them back. Not sure. It's something like that.I should have the details, but now some 36 hours later, my ticket has not been answered at all.-- Scot
no harm , no foul ?

Definitely no harm, but I'm not sure about no foul.It took IX Webhosting almost 4 days to respond to my trouble ticket, which was sent to the technical team. The response, when it came from a customer service person, not a tech support person. This is that response:

Dear Scot!Thank you for the word to support.There was a slight issue with MYSQL shared server which has been resolved . We are aware of the issue and the system admins was working on the server to get it resolved.We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I hope that we could count on your understanding in this matter. Thank you for bearing with us.Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us anytime, we are available 24/7.Yuliya PonomaryovaCR DepartmentIxwebhosting.com
Keep in mind, someone actively deleted all our database files, and I could see that that had happened. Although the damage was fully repaired in 26 hours, the silence was deafening in my trouble ticket. I have lost all faith in IX Webhosting as a result.-- Scot

Wow, Scot...that's unreal bad.
Well, as it turns out it is real and at the same time it's bad.I think we do have a problem now. :hmm: Besides that I think it is not the best way to respond in the way and after so much days like IX did. And certainly not for a paying customer. :thumbsup:

Despite this clear issue with IX, I'm not going to rush into a change (unless I get lucky with my search). I'm going to take my time to find the right webhost before I jump. It's too much work -- esp. the forums.In case you're interested in what I need from a new webhost, see this blog post.-- Scot

Where's Cindy??"In a nutshell, I woke up when day early this week to discover that" :hmm: "(IPS, offered by Invision Power, the same company that creates the software that runs )." :thumbsup: etcGood grief.

EdP asked about Cyndy, my wife, who used to edit Scot's Newsletter and who often used to insert parenthetical, playfully (or not so playfully) nasty remarks usu. having to do with how much she has to put up with or how annoying she feels that men (Read: Scot, because she has no intention of putting up with any more than one of us) are.Because these days Cyndy is a mother of two with a full-time job and a nanny to manage, she no longer has time to edit the newsletter. When she went back to work in 2006, Monica Sambataro, one of Computerworld's many excellent copy editors, took over the job of editing the blog.So the snide little Editor's Notes that used to grace Scot's Newsletter are, alas, gone. I miss them too (yeah, right). Maybe someday they'll return. -- Scot