Linux family tree?

linuxdude32

linuxdude32

Has anyone ever seen a tree like I've seen for Unix but for all the different Linux distros? What I mean is one that shows which distro descended from another distro like Mandrake did from Red Hat originallay and which were created from the bottom up, etc. I think it'd be interesting to see it even if I have to make it myself but I thought maybe somebody has already seen one someplace.

SonicDragon

Yea! That does sound really neat. Of course, it would get long with all the distros there are out there, but if it could just do the main ones...It's got to be out there somewhere... I'll search it soon. Post if u guys get any results :rolleyes:

If some one does create and manitains such a tree, it would be a good study........of it...of which distro is from where.........but at the heart of all such distros would be the core ........the linux kernel.Plus other GNU tools like KDE , Gnome.......GCC compliers etc.........:D. And many many others too.

SonicDragon
If some one does create and manitains such a tree, it would be a good study........of it...of which distro is from where.........but at the heart of all such distros would be the core ........the linux kernel.Plus other GNU tools like KDE , Gnome.......GCC compliers etc.......... And many many others too.
That sounds like a great idea for a highschool project :D I doubt there is anyone in my school that would know what i'm talking about though!

And this family tree, now we know it does not exist, are you going to make it Jason ? Looks like a fun project . . . .you will let us have a peak preview will you ? ;) :D Bruno

linuxdude32
And this family tree, now we know it does not exist, are you going to make it Jason ? Looks like a fun project . .  . .you will let us have a peak preview will you ? ;)
:D I am interested in doing this, actually. Any recommendations for an easy flow-charting software to use?

Hi jason,Don´t know what you mean by ¨flow-charting ¨ but I though OpenOffice would do the trick ( Draw or Impress even the Writer has all those components build in );) Bruno

linuxdude32
Most Linux distro originated from scratch, not really from inheritance.A few exceptions are United Linux, Knoppix, and Slackware Live CD..Most Linux such as Mandrake, Red Hat, SuSe, Debian, and Gentoo are made from scratch based on existing kernel build and also based on different design idea. Gentoo for one is the most innovative. Red Hat already made its standard with RPM. SuSe made its fame with its famous YaST installation wizard. Debian and Slackware are based on the idea of simplicity and total-in-control. Mandrake..well, made by French with somewhat impressive GUI
I agree that the major distros are probably from scratch (that we know of), but there are still many distros that originated from others.Mandrake is made from scratch now, I believe, but it wasn't in the first several versions. In fact, it even followed the same version numbers as Red Hat for a while. I know, because I was there, using it when it was nothing more than Red Hat + KDE + Wine. It took pride in being 100% compatible with Red Hat. That's because it was Red Hat with additional configuration tools.Debian led to Libranet, Progeny, Knoppix, LNX-BBC, Corel Linux, StormLinux, Lindows, DemoLinux.Red Hat led to Mandrake, Lycoris (formerly Redmond Linux), JAMD.Slackware has led to Vector Linux, CollegeLinux, DragonLinux.Sorceror (a source based Linux like Gentoo) spawned Lunar Linux and Source Mage.There are many more lesser-known distros and smaller ones that came from other distros. Many of these don't use the versions that spawned them anymore but since their new distro version is most likely based on older versions which were based on the other distro, I think the tree is still valid. SuSE is the only major distro that I'm aware of that doesn't have "descendants" but that's probably because YaST can't be distributed without a license from SuSE.

linuxdude32
Don´t know what you mean by ¨flow-charting ¨ but I though OpenOffice would do the trick ( Draw or Impress even the Writer has all those components build in )
Something that doesn't require me to draw boxes or lines but just just lets me drop the components right in and the connections are automatically made between them. I'm not much of an artists! ;) I'll try Draw and see what it's like.

JasonRight, do have a look at OO.o Draw, it´s real easy, you don´t have to have a steady hand, it draws nice straight boxes ( copy paste to repeat ) and puts nice straight arrows between them . . . easy as pie ! Give each branch it´s own color and it will look nice without any effort !B) Bruno

We know you can do it! We are anxious to see your results. Good luck. This sounds like a fun project. You should be able to show this off to the LUG as well!

Is that kind of like a Windows Linux Emulator?I am glad you posted it and not me. Someone would be on my case if I had posted it. Open source for windows. That is funny. You must spend too much time still on the other side. :DOh, I see. They have a Linux side as well. That's a relief.

Is that kind of like a Windows Linux Emulator?I am glad you posted it and not me.  Someone would be on my case if I had posted it.  Open source for windows.  That is funny.  You must spend too much time still on the other side. :DOh, I see.  They have a Linux side as well.  That's a relief.
I may be linux but my company isn't..so if I can find software that saves us money I do..( expecially if it will support a project.) B)

Way to go! Next step is to convert them! Keep working on them. You can do it! Go for it. Just slip it in on one machine at first and show them how simple it is. Let us know how it works! B)

Update: Tried Dia for a few minutes . . is very nice, has it´s own potential, but I like the OO.o Draw better . . B) Maybe just because I´m better used to it . . :DB) Bruno