Distribution Release: Knoppix 3.2-2003-07-24

havnblast

:) Wooohoooo - been patiently waiting for this - can't wait to go home and start downloading it.A new release of the Knoppix live CD has been spotted on several mirrors. What's new in version 3.2-2003-07-24? "Lots of package updates (KDE, Koffice); knoppix-install from Fabian Franz; switched to cloop V1.0 kernel module and file format; Kernel 2.4.21" More information in the changelog and package list. Download: KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-07-24-EN.iso (693MB) or KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-07-24-DE.iso (693MB)Download Site 1 ENDownload Site 2 DE

Change Log:* V3.2-2003-07-24- lots of package updates (KDE, koffice)- knoppix-install from Fabian Franz- switched to cloop V1.0 kernel module and file format- Kernel 2.4.21

Well this is from the new Knoppix CD..Now I can do linux at work..Killer Cool!!! Why should I limit my lunix time to home only...LOL,,anyway Doesn't seem to be any Major changes that are quickly noticed. I can still search the Win Dir..but can't go to network...(and probably shouldn't) but can get to internet...Open office 1.03 ( to bad it wasn't 1.1)opened my Win Office Pro files..No Real problems) This CD ROM on this Laptop is a 8X so it seems slow...Other than that it looks slimmer

Barry, KellyIf you guys think this version is O.K. I will adapt the links in The Tips to this new version . . . . :D Bruno

Bruco...as a live cd it is fine(still wish they has included Openoffice 1.1 :D )...As a install I don't know yet..will try it tonight and give some feed- back. At anyrate I know it could be used as a File rescue disk..(hee hee already used that way)... :D

BarryIt is for The Tip about Live CDs . . . so I guess we´re allright ! B)( anyway, I just finished adapting the links . . :D ):D Bruno

BrunoOne our IT guys walked into my office while I was trying it out...hasn't even looked at linux in about 4 years.....Man, you should of seen the look in his eyes :blink: ..burned him a copy... :rolleyes: ...

Spread the word Barry, burn a few extra copies and get them all Knoppixed :DLinux did change a lot the last 4 years. . . . :rolleyes: Bruno

I can do that :( ..I don't even need a reason :rolleyes: :blink: :( According to him it's 1000% different from what he remembered...he was really impressed with the open source software too.

Thanks again, Kelly, you are "The New Linux Distro Reporting Emporer Penguin"! :rolleyes: This is an excellent "Live CD", thank you. :blink: :(

Oh sure you two don't have any problems but I ran into a couple. 1st. I have to do expert mode to setup my video card right, since it will not get the right video card, and gentoo did a super job with that too. 2nd I can not get the PPPOE connection to go thru. I go thru the setup and it finds it just fine and finishes with it telling me it is now started, but yet nothing internet wise works and so I click on the connection thing to detect the PPPOE connection and it goes thru the whole process again, normally it would say connection in use if you try to start it up again while it is connected. So I don't know what to think......I am wondering if I do the hard drive install if that will fix the PPPOE problem. Last live cd of knoppix had no problem with it and I was planning on doing a hard drive install with this one anyway. Fixing the video card thing is no big deal, just got to be able to have that PPPOE working. hmmmmmmmm what to do? :D

KellyI don´t think a HD install will change very much in the ability to use PPPOE, if it does not work in Knoppix there is a big chance it won´t work in the HD install either, it´s both the same tool . . :(Did you have these problems with previous versions of Knoppix too ??B) Bruno

No problems at all with the previous live cd or present installation on the hard drive - PPPOE worked right off the bat, that is why it suprised me on this live cd.

Oh sure you two don't have any problems but I ran into a couple.  1st. I have to do expert mode to setup my video card right, since it will not get the right video card, and gentoo did a super job with that too.  2nd I can not get the PPPOE connection to go thru.  I go thru the setup and it finds it just fine and finishes with it telling me it is now started, but yet nothing internet wise works and so I click on the connection thing to detect the PPPOE connection and it goes thru the whole process again, normally it would say connection in use if you try to start it up again while it is connected.  So I don't know what to think......I am wondering if I do the hard drive install if that will fix the PPPOE problem.  Last live cd of knoppix had no problem with it and I was planning on doing a hard drive install with this one anyway.  Fixing the video card thing is no big deal, just got to be able to have that PPPOE working.  hmmmmmmmm what to do? :D
Well..last night, I went home with the intent of burning the new version..and did a great job.....of adding to my coaster collection (I can put a cup almost anywhere and not have to worry about spots B) :lol: :D )...Did I mention I collect those too as well as Linux distro's.................(Yes folks it was OE...Operator error w/ the assistance of a 4 year old that thinks it's his computer too B) Anyway...will do again tonight...

BarryAlways do the checksum on your CDs before you give them away . . :blink: prevents you from getting a bad name . . :wacko: :DB) Bruno

BarryAlways do the checksum on your CDs before you give them away . . :blink: prevents you from getting a bad name . . :wacko: :DB) Bruno
Actually the one's I made at work are all perfect... :lol: The one I made at home was toast....

BarryYou are missing something here. Find someway to occupy the four year old first - like an ice cream cone at the kitchen table - or other such nonsense and then lock the door! You must teach that the computer is sacred when Daddy is on it! Of course, that will only cause curiosity and the desire to be on it even more! ;)

Yea...I figured I was being to easy :D :D ...He does pretty good with linux though (for a 4 year old ...sometimes better than I...just got to get him to write his notes down ;) )

Well The knoppix I broght home from work installed perfect :lol: ...Julia...ya know..having garret in charge just might work :blink:P.S. Don't know about anyone else..but this install of knoppix seem to be quicker and smoother.. B)

My daughter used to sit on my lap when I was on the computer. She started showing some amazing comprehension about 3 years of age (how to boot an old Dos computer without hard drive including swapping out disks and typing in correct commands to bring up a word processor). I still don't know how she did it. Anyway, now she is majoring in animation and doing things on the computer I could never do. So if you want Garrett to grow up being a computer nerd, just let him near while you are on the computer. B)

I do...His computer in his room is a dualboot w2k/Mdk..he knows which has his favs and knows how to ls in linux...he's doing pretty good..I know he doesn't fully understand, but I want he to come to it as second nature...I Agree if we expose them like it's(computers) are just a part of life..and not really a great puzzle..they will learn it as a natual progression