Bart's PE Builder v3.0x

Guest ThunderRiver

Main difference between PE Builder v1.0.x and v2.0.x?1. Registry hive files "software", "default" and "setupreg.hiv" are no longer static but are created by PE Builders internal registry builder. 2. V2 can also create Windows PE from Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Home Edition. 3. To enable network support the user has to supply netcfg.exe and factory.exe from Windows PE (I'm trying to figure out a way around this...) 4. V2 uses the highly dynamic menu system called Nu2Menu, created by Henk de Jong. Linkage

Guest ThunderRiver

Great link JoshN. I previously posted info about version 1.x in the past, and it was removed by Microsoft. Now the version 2.x is out, which is a great news. Unfortunately, it doesn't have network support at this moment, which does defeat the main purpose of WinPE. Well, guys give it a try :)This thread will be merged with previous one. ThanksThunderRiver

Guest ThunderRiver
If you did not download it last night... you are out of luck for now...Saw this on Bart's site:pe-builder-removed.jpg
Like always.. It really doesn't make any senses though.. if you are an OEM builder, you get WinPE 1.2 for free..and MS just doesn't want consumer to get it? heh..really wicked.

No doubt...not frustrated with either Bart or MS...Just my own Slllooooowwwnnnnesss..should have got it last night...my bad

Guest ThunderRiver

I didn't get it last night either because it doesn't have network support, which is what makes WinPE so great. All I can say right now is that next time I will download it just for the heck of it heh.The funny thing is that last night, the site was DOSed soo bad.. perhaps it was because too many user request to download it and brought down the server, and this morning, MS shuts it down for good.

MS guards it because it was designed to be an OEM tool. Never a free public tool... I think Bart will have to call it something else and it will have to be free of any MS code... Can Bart accomplish this? Only time will tell...

MS guards it because it was designed to be an OEM tool. Never a free public tool... I think Bart will have to call it something else and it will have to be free of any MS code... Can Bart accomplish this? Only time will tell...
Yea I figured It would do with their agreement to assist OEM's with installs /preps( and not for the general public). I think your right..Bart will not only have to change the name, but also make it clear of related ms coding.Pity! Would make a great tool

Guest ThunderRiver
hehe.. I am not an OEM builder, but I already got my hand on WinPE v1.2I think it is a great tool for IT...it is foolish not to have it.

You did not get that code from MS. And if you use it... you are in direct violation of the EULA that accompanied that code. Great tool or not, there are those who are licensed to use it and there are those who use it illegally. We all live under the rule of law. We may not like all of them but who really wants to go back to the wild west days?Now, if you want to make a tool that does the same thing as Win PE, and you call it something else and it doesn't infringe on MS code... Go for it! Build the better mouse trap!

I don't think there is anyone that ever lived and those living now that didn't break some rule or law. Just stop and think about how many people in world actually read the EULA. Yes, I know ignorance of the laws is no excuse, but my god your talking about a perfect society that doesn't exist. The website owner did his part and removed the program - those that got it are going to use it and pass it along to whoever I am sure. It's a part of life that will always be.

Guest ThunderRiver

There is no need to fight here. I didn't say that I would distribute it out in mass, and I won't either. I got my copy from a friend of mine who is an OEM builder, and he uses WinPE so often that has become part of his essential collection.I as IT have been craving for something better than Recovery Console for ages, and if Microsoft posts a price tag for WinPE, I would have paid for it. We are currently looking into Winternal Administrator Pack as well...at least that one has a price tag and is for sale...05.gifSource: Winternals

• 1 month later...
Guest LilBambi

It looks like he definitely took MS out of the code loop according to the site and the legal page which states that Microsoft has no problem with this version since it doesn't infringe on copyright.That's a good thing so folks will have an opensource product with a graphical interface to house their recovery tools on a CD.Thanks for posting.

• 1 year later...

I am curious what add on apps you include when making the CD? I downloaded it and was going to make a CD but I noticed that there is about 300MB space available to add to a folder that will be included on the CD. What did you add?I want to have a CD that has everything and not worry about the day when I come across to "D***, I should have included this." :)(sorry for bring up an old post.)