Leopard is the New Vista, and It's Pissing Me Off

réjean

Guest LilBambi

LOL! No harm, no foul! or is that fowl? hmmmNo harm was done to the Mini in the process so I feel very fortunate and it worked like a champ once we figured out what was wrong LOL!And I don't feel like I am working in jello anymore. Nice speedy Tiger! :'(

Grasshopper

These problems you (and others) are having....Is this only a problem with upgrading? Or do these issues bleed over into buying a new machine with Leopard already installed?

Guest LilBambi

I am not sure. I did a clean install of Leopard so it wasn't an upgrade per se.And it was somewhat sluggish even after the Spotlight database updates. But it got considerably worse after 10.5.2.I don't know what they did in that patch, but it sucked big time for even a 1.42Ghz Mac Mini with 1GB RAM. And as I noted, it broke stuff too.But Tiger is doing wonderful on it. Speedy and a wonderful OS. It's great to have a nice speedy computer again...well, it was never quite this speedy even with a fresh install -- that 5400rpm drive really did make a big difference.

Grasshopper

I've experienced a jump in performance when I upgraded a 4200 rpm drive to a 7200 on a laptop. Yeah...it's big.I guess I need to research Leopard a little more.

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, they tell ya that with the Mini, heat is a problem if you move to a 7200 drive in it.But you really can feel the difference with the 5400.I bet that's an issue with the MacBook Air too ... isn't that a 4200 drive?Scot has a MacBook Air, and some others here. Have you noticed any slowdown on performance compared with other MacBooks?Course, we are talking the difference between Intel Macs and PPC Macs. My Mini is PPC. And I do think there are some real differences between them.

Guest LilBambi

The Apple MacBook Air specifications say:

Storage * 80GB 4200-rpm Parallel ATA hard disk drive2 * Optional 64GB solid-state drive
So yeah, I think I heard it was an iPod drive too, but the drive is stated in the specs as being 4200rpm. I remembered reading some annoyance reviews about the 4200 drive was all. Below is one that talks about the slow 4200rpm drive. Have to remember that most folks are used to 7200rpm drives and the speed benefit it brings to all computers that make use of them.Top 10 Flaws of the Macbook Air - Jan 15 2008 - 11:52pm | Posted by Jonny under Tech + Gadgets and #5 is:
Slow 1.8" Hard drive The base model comes with a 1.8" hard drive. As most computer enthusiasts know, 1.8" hard drives top out at 4,200rpm. Compared to regular 2.5" notebook hard drives that are at least 5400rpm (or even up to 7,200rpm), the Macbook Air hard drive is slow. I myself have a X41 Thinkpad Tablet and it is excruciating slow to boot and load programs from the 4,200rpm drive.