Can't get Linux GUI unscrambled

henderrob

Sorry henderrob, with a cursory look that Sapphire 1600pro apparently Linux folks haven't gotten it work as yet. Seems to me the Sapphire card are based on ATI aren't they?Anyway, I would suggest starting a topic in ATL on the Sapphire 1600pro to see if Bruno or any of the others here might have some experience with it.
Thx, LilBambi. My problem has been that when trying a Linux LiveCD or a hard drive dual boot install with XP or UBuntu or SuSE, is that I can read all the linux text until the sign in GUI which is illegible and actively scrambled. I would love to buy a Linux distro with Windows Virtual or parrellel to is if I could install my Beyond TV (or find a linux PVR that works with ATI Theatre 550 Pro.) and my Logos Reference Library.Any suggustions would be deeply appreciated.

Henderrob, welcome at ATL. Have you tried Mandriva Spring ? It comes out-of-the-box with the right driver for your ATI based graphics card. On my new laptop it was one of the few which detected and set up the screen right including the right drivers.Mandriva Spring "One" is the one you need in these cases; it's an installable live CD (or DVD) either in gnome or KDE flavor.You may be able to get it at :ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ial/iso/2007.1/The gnome one is: mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-GNOME-cdrom-i586.isoand the KDE one is: mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-i586.isoThere are also 64 bit versions available, so have a look what it brings you.note : the spring-free versions don't come with the driver, only the "one" versions. :">

Yep I would advise to check out the MDV Spring "One" as well . . . . and hope the ATI drivers included do indeed support your card.ATI cards are the worst supported in Linux, Nvidia cards are much better, but there is hope that coming December there will be ( free ) ATI drivers that could be included in every distro that is released in 2008B) Bruno

Just got back to the computer and downloading MDV Spring ISO. 4 hour download so I will try it out tomorrow in MDT. (sep24)
Keep us posted Rob :D :rolleyes: Bruno

I downloaded this Mandriva Spring One 2007 ISO and burned it to a CDR. I rebooted with the CDR and a orange Mandriva screen was displayed. I said yes to verbose and read the text without a problem. Then the screen went black with the cursor at the top left blinking and then my monitor displayed " cannot display" DVI-D. I tried it twice with the same results. I think Linux doesn't like my Dell 2005 20.1"widescreen monitor. There are two different sockets on the Sapphire 1600pro graphics and on the monitor. I am using the cable that came with the monitor and it attaches to the larger of the two sockets. Would this make a difference?

Aha, I think I know what you mean Rob. I've been there myself a few times. However, when using Spring on my former main computer with nvidia graphics card and DVI connection, it installed without problems and worked like a charm.The problem might be in xorg.conf, especially the right timings for the used display and a couple of edits might be added.That's one option, the other one is trying a VGA cable temporarily while installing. After it has been installed, set the distro to boot into init 3, from there on you might be able to take it up with editing xorg.conf while being connected with DVI.Is this your graphics card Rob?http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/productfiles/133image3.jpgedit: found this:

Under Linux platform, my Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (kernel 2.6.9) does not recognize the specific card model, but it uses a generic driver which seems to work fine. For full recognition of the card, Linux kernel 2.6.18 or higher must be used. My Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (kernel 2.6.18) recognizes the card as RV530 (X1600). Therefore, any Linux distribution using kernel version 2.6.18 or higher will recognize the card fine with proper configuration.
link:http://www.epinions.com/content_401002565252 :whistling:

Therefore, any Linux distribution using kernel version 2.6.18 or higher will recognize the card fine with proper configuration.
So maybe the 2008 edition would be a better idea ? It should have a tool to autoinstall-configure the nVidia /ATI card during the install.ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...-cdrom-i586.iso ( Live CD with installer ):whistling: Bruno

Yes Striker, that is a picture of the video card I use. I am downloading from Bruno's link the Mandriva 2008 version. It will take 2-4 hours so I will burn the ISO and try Thursday morning MDT.Thank-you for your kind consideration and advise.

:thumbsup: I downloaded the Mandriva 2008 RC2 KDE ISO and burnt to CDR and, guess what? I'm sending this from Mandriva on the same previously recalcitrant computer. I am just trying it out now.I also downloaded a 4.3GB Mandriva 2008 RC2 free-something.... The title didn't fit in the text box. It was an ISO so I burnt it to DVD. Is this the full version of the free PowerPack? I take it the RC2 is close to fully operational.Thanks Bruno and Stryker!

:thumbsup: Congrats Rob !The version you installed, "One" , contains all the proprietary drivers. The "free" version however does not, it comes with drivers of course but free drivers, not proprietary drivers. And sometimes you just can't get by with only free drivers.The Powerpack versions : :whistling: let Bruno tell you more about it.Have fun with 2008 !

Hurrrray ! . . Glad you finally have found a distro that supports your hardware :thumbsup: Yep the naming of the ISOs is a bit confusing:- The PowerPack is the version you have to pay for, either at MandrivaStore ( boxed version ) of as member of the MandrivaClub ( download version ).- The One versions can be downloaded "gratis" ( no pay ) and they contain non-free ( as in freedom ) software like: flash, win-codecs, proprietary graphic card drivers etc. etc.- The "Free" versions ONLY have "free" software ( as in freedom ) and you can downloald them "gratis" ( no pay ) . . . but they have NO codecs, flash, proprietary graphic card drivers etc. etc.So . . in general I advise to download the "One" version, enable the non-free repositories after install and add every bit of software you want/need. ( Example: going to XFdrake after the install will automatically download, install and configure the proprietary graphic card drivers for your ATI/Nvidia card. );) BrunoPS: The release of the "Final" version of 2008 is due any day now . . . . :whistling: