Best AV Software

JerryM

I understand the AVG is considered a first rate AV. I have Norton 2003 and have not found anything wrong.What is the best AV Free, and Not free?Jerry

SonicDragon

I've always used Norton and i've actually never tried AVG.I've had no problems with Norton, so i never need to. But, i've heard very good things about AVG. I think it would probably be a very good choise if you plan on having an AV on multiple computers. It would save you a lot of money!

Guest genaldar

I currently use Norton, but it feels bloated. I used to use avg, but it's updates were slow to download. While I used avg I also had innoculate it pe installed (not running, but I had it run before I got avg). I also ran antivir personal, but it was really slow at system scans and folder scans. When I had avg, antivir and innoculate it installed I'd use them to run system scans once a week and then scan each file I downloaded with all three. Overkill I know, but they were free so I figured what the ****. Sadly innoculate it was discontinued (although last I heard definition updates were still available). Originally though I used Mcafee. I liked it quite a bit but less than a year after I got it (bought it in nov. 98) it refused to update saying my license had expired. Because of that I decided to never buy mcafee again. At that point I went with the freebies for a few years until I broke down and bought norton, which I'm probably gonna replace with panda as soon as my year of updates is up.

SonicDragon
liked it quite a bit but less than a year after I got it (bought it in nov. 98) it refused to update saying my license had expired.
Good point! Every year (or two or whatever) you will have to pay to get the new virus definitions in Norton and Mcaffe.

I have been using Norton for the past 5 years or so. No complaints thus far.I heard rumors that Symantec was experimenting with a setup similar to Win XP - one copy per system. But there was a lot of negative feedback. Whether they incorporate this feature into version 2004 I believe is still unknown. B)

brucekrymow

I have used Norton from 5 to 2002, giving it a try each year. Norton 2001 and 2002 both failed to catch Klez E & H virii on at least two occasions. I swithed to AVG on all my machines as a result of Norton's bloat, resource demands, invasiveness and conflicts w/ other apps - never been happier.

Grasshopper

I use Norton 02 with no problems.....if you take in the fact that when I do a new install, I do the complete installation and spend about 20 minutes paring it down to what I want.tbird

I use AVG (paid for it too)... I like it a lot, except for the fact that if the realtime scanner catches a virus, it won't do anything with it until you run a system scan. I paid for the full version so I could customize my scans and in case of a virus, run a scan on the specific folder to eliminate the virus (instead of a full scan). I really wish the real-time scanner would give you the option to delete a virus infected folder (or remove the virus) immediately. If it could do this, I'd never even consider using anything else. :D

Jerry. I use Norton 2002 but am looking for a free one that works good. I found a rating on AV programs. Only four programs caught all the known viruses: Norman, Pccillin, McAfee, Kaspersky, and Antidote (I didn't bookmark it but found it using Google). Norton only caught 95% of them. I think Pccillin is free and the others are fee based.I'm leaning toward paying for Kaspersky for my gateway pc and a free one for the clients. When Norton checks for updates it freezes the mouse on my slower computers (400 & 500 Mhz).Here is the page http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.htmlKen

Hi all, here's the latest from Virus Bulletin:June 2003 comparativeThere's a wealth of info on this site, and if you read through a decent part of it, there can be but one conclusion: the very best there is - Eset NOD32 (soon to be updated to 2.0). :rolleyes:

There's a wealth of info on this site, and if you read through a decent part of it, there can be but one conclusion: the very best there is - Eset NOD32 (soon to be updated to 2.0). :rolleyes:
quint, thanks for the information. I like everything I read about NOD32. It's "Use of very few system resources" meets my other criteria for a gateway PC and the price, $39, is not that bad for all that it does.Ken

Guest LilBambi
Hi all, here's the latest from Virus Bulletin:June 2003 comparativeThere's a wealth of info on this site, and if you read through a decent part of it, there can be but one conclusion: the very best there is - Eset NOD32 (soon to be updated to 2.0). ;)
quint --That VirusBulletin is great isn't it?I am very impressed with Eset's NOD32 especially after reading about their track record on their Awards page.
Unique technologies built into NOD32 Antivirus suite of programs result in unprecedented detection efficiency and the highest hard disk scanning rates. The most prestigious international awards earned by NOD32 Antivirus system are presented below. Among the awards, Virus Bulletin 100% Awards are of special importance due to the high professional recognition of this international publication on computer virus prevention, recognition and removal. NOD32 have earned the award a record 22 times already. Since the first submission of NOD32 for Virus Bulletin testing in May 1998, NOD32 system did not miss a single "In the Wild" virus in any of the tests.
However, if I read it right ?? ... NOD32 for Microsoft Windows (client, not administrator version) is only an on-demand scanner. Not adequate really with the email problems that can come up very quickly.I generally lean toward Norton as the pay one of choice, and AVG as a free one (for personal use). As well as F_Prot for Linux, freeBSD and DOS (also free for personal use).

Hi Fran,NOD32 was the only AV program that I used (when I had WinXP/98SE), did use AVG 6.0, until purchase of NOD32. :D You are correct about the e-mail lack, however, that is reported to be part of the new version 2.0! :D Have nothing bad to say about Norton/Symantec, but it is startling to compare the two: NOD32 uses remarkably less resourses, there cannot be any faster yet thorough scan of all files, as by NOD32, and the cost is not out of line...actually cheaper than many! :ph34r: If ever I go back to Windows (but I won't), there would not be any question to again use NOD32; but, if anyone is satisfied with another AV program, that is what they should use - there are several good one's out there. :D My only real recommendation is that everyone use something in the realm of AV. :o

I.m still doing the "two-step" with both Norton and AVG running. BTW, you need to install Norton first, then AVG, or there will be problems.I will not renew my Norton subscription, as they are not very user-friendly anymore. If I am going to pay, I believe that I will pay for Panda.