pclinuxos TR4 almost there

porthugh

LATEST NEWSThe PCLinuxOS Website should be coming online any time soon. Please continue to wait until a full launch announcement is made. We'll be configuring and designing the site for the next few days. Rest assured that TR4 development has continued and that it will be available in short order. Thanks for your continued patience and understanding. There may be more information on the temporary front page there: http://www.pclinuxos.com
I'm excited. It is Tuesday night down here in NZ, and I have to go to bed now.You should probably look at this link as well:http://www.google.com/notebook/public/0423...SJaSwoQjPG8odchHugh

Well, this is good news, but at the same time, I was hoping from a previous statement wherein it was implied that TR4 was being released to a small, select group for a quick evaluation, that the 2007 final would be coming out pretty soon. This latest notice seems to imply a more extended TR4 evaluation period . . .Guess I'll get it and try it. I tried TR2; it had sufficient problems (I reported a couple, only one of which was "Tex" able to reproduce, as far as I could tell) that I promised myself I would stop fooling with beta's but TR2 also did things with an ease that I can't get with .93a, and of course had updated Firefox and Tbird, so if they are doing a general release of TR4, it may be at least another month before 2007 final comes out?My current hybrid of 0.93a and non-symantic installed "patches" (wherein I was greatly assisted by Bruno) is getting a little obsolete and messy in some respects and I have another computer I wanted to put PCLos on. Bill

Edited by BillD

i'll prolly put tr4 on this pc & report the ensuing chaos..
me too, LOL. I've been spinning my wheels waiting for some news. I didn't want to download TC4 but it's been so long since I downloaded TC2 that's I'll go for it. PCLinux is one of only a handfull of distros that gets past first base on my newer notebook.

Wow..I was just going to report the opposite! It was good to see the site back up again and I thought it looked pretty good. Maybe I'm just hoping this means the 2007 final is not foo far away. I too am thinking that maybe I'll install TR4 when it comes out but I was going to do the same with TR3 but thought, it shouldn't be too long so I'll just wait. I must admit, I was getting impaitiant even thinking of loading something else ..but this gives hope.

Edited by cybrmat

I really like the new website colours. I'm definitely into the richer colour tones. Hate wishy-washy websites.I hope the new PcLinuxOS is as classy as the new site :D :D

I think the new site looks fine.And while Enki is no IBM, it can only be a good thing for pcLOS to have a corporate sponsor, if for no other reason then to free up Tex and the gang to do more of what they love.Best Wishes for a great collaborative future. :D :D

This is what I was looking for, posted by Texstar on April 24th 7pm, Texas time.

PCLinuxOS TR4 is going to the servers in the next 24-48 hours with final coming shortly afterwards. We've updated the kernel to 2.6.18.8 and added some fixes we hope will help those who were having boot hangup issues. We've freshed up all the packages, cleared many bugs and optimized the desktop for speed. I'll post more information once we get the iso to the server and mirrors. We just want to get a quick test to make sure the updated kenel is going to work for most people. Thank you for your patience with us getting this release out.
I haven't located TR4 yet - all the downloads says TR3 so I'll wait a bit. Edited by zlim

Dear All,Well, the PCLinuxOs site is back up - but, my goodness what a sight.Heavy, dark, unwelcoming colours.See for yourself:http://pclinuxos.com/Feel free to disagree!!Hugh
Dear Me,There is a God! The heavy colours have gone. I can read the site. Yes! There are words on it.Your mantra for today:black is not cool, black is not cool, black is not cool...please chant ad infinitumMe

Dear Me,There is a God! The heavy colours have gone. I can read the site. Yes! There are words on it.Your mantra for today:black is not cool, black is not cool, black is not cool...please chant ad infinitumMe
Yuk ! it's gone wishy-washy B) Good job it's not the finished layout. I'll be waiting with bated breath to see the final makeup :thumbsdown:

Once they finally set up, Texstar could do what BlackViper does on his site. You can pick black background or white background. Younger eyes usually prefer black and more mature eyes (I have an older pair of eyes) prefer white. Yup, I usually pick white.

I canceled from ibilio as it was coming in at 15kb/s. Funny as it is in Chapel Hill the same state, only 150 miles from were I live. nluug is around 600 kb/s from all the way across the big pond. :thumbsup: Good to be one step closer to final. B) Tommy