Classpath

jong357

I just got my hands on Sun Download Manager last week.... What a slick program....... Anywho....... I can't seem to remember how to change my classpath so I can run it from the install directory...... Tried .bash_profile on a whim and that was a no go....... So I have to run it from my home folder...... Not good. Really anal about keeping that clean..... It's gets awful cluttered installing it to /home/jon......I tried all sorts of work arounds like symlinks to /bin and my desktop and what not but it's just not working out...... It says you have to cd to the install directory and then execute the script.... What a pain...... Only way around it is to set your classpath to the install directory from what I gathered.....Well, thanks all.......Jon

JonIt´s all pretty confusing, I hope I understand you right.I usually install programs in /usr/local/bin or just copy the file to there. /usr/local/bin is in your PATH. You can add things to your PATH have a look HereYou can also set up an ¨Alias¨ to call on a certain long command, with only a short name.Or make a little Bash script and put that in /usr/bin so you can call it from a console or a specialy made menu item.:D Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Bruno, I think you definitely got the answers for him to automate the process ... a shortcut incorporating the ./programname in the install directory should also work, shouldn't it?

FranYou´re right, but Jon is far to clever to not have tried that . . . . . so that makes me wonder if we did get his question right ?Anyway we´ll see his response . . UPDATE: the Classpath is something typically linked to java have a look Here how to set it !:D Bruno

Edited by Bruno

Well, Jon knows his way around in Linux, Fran, it could not have been as simple as we first thought it was . . . . . that´s why I was not happy with the answer I gave and wondered if we did get the question right.Now I´m sure he got what he was after. ( and can go to sleep ;) )B) Bruno

Yea, I'm not sure what is going on guys...... I've been working on this for ever.... It's probably something really stupid........ It ussually is...... I also tend to figure things out about an hour after posting something ;) so I thought I would see if the old status quo is still in effect...... Not yet it isn't......... Ah well....... I posted elsewhere too.... I'm at the point where I'm just getting frustrated now....... Don't think it's the classpath either.... Not sure why I said that...... Here are the specifics.... Posted as "Sun Download Manager"..... Don't know why I didn't post all that info here... Was too frustrated to think correctly I guess...... Thanks all...Jon