Tax Software

FuzzButt

Did anyone else receive a free copy of TaxCut in the mail recently?On the cover it says "Free full version of 2006 TaxCut Premium Federal + State a $29.95 value." I don't use that brand but if it's free maybe I'll switch. I wonder if this is going to be like the free AOL CD's.

I've used TaxCut for many many years and it's way more user friendly than any of the others I've tried. I, however, did not get the freebie version, but am waiting for sure! I'd love to see a program that I'm willing to pay for come free via USPS!!

Guest LilBambi

Yep, TaxAct is a great product. :thumbsup:Haven't received any freebies on a pay to play product like TaxCut or any others. If not a previous user, might be kinda skeptical of that. See if there's a phone number on the TaxCut site where you can call to verify the offer came from them, or a mention of the freebie offer on the site. Otherwise, I would skip it, there are many social engineering schemes out there ... But that's me. :P

I received two or three free copies of tax software last year (it may have been TaxAct). I think one may have come because I subscribe to PCWorld, another might have been with my PCMag subscription and the third came because I downloaded a free version the previous year. I was handing them out to people who didn't get them.TaxAct still seems to offer a free versionhttp://www.taxact.com/

Greetings~ I have recived copies of TaxCut for several years .. and YES it IS a legitimate offer .. HOWEVER it is limited to what you can and cannot do ..the program itself ..as Deborah said is quite easy to use for the "average" tax purposes ... i did find however that i had to PURCHASE an extended/deluxe version from the store last year and acctually had to get ahold of HR Block Tech support/Regional in my area (the little "satelite stores" didnt even know it was being given out or what the software was) to do what i had to ..cause some of my payroll came from an out of state company .. but agian good progam easy to use .. and if im not mistaken since it is offered by HR Block they aslo have "audit insurance" ( or some such ) to GURANTEE your return is correct.. Hope that helps LoneWolf

Edited by LoneWolfMage

I tried TaxCut last year but didn't like it as much as TurboTax. I got the free copy of TaxCut in the mail recently, wondered if it was actually a fully-enabled program, wasn't planning to install it. I'm going back to TurboTax.

• 1 month later...

I have used TaxAct for several years. I have not complaints, but wonder about Turbo Tax. I wonder if Turbo Tax would import TaxAct? If so I might try it.I have only used the paid version, and it is worth the $20 to keep my wife from typing the forms. Last year there were 18 pages if I recall correctly. I like the electronic filing.Thanks,Jerry

Guest LilBambi

Jerry, you don't type the forms in TaxAct. It fills them out and you print them. It's a great program and keeps updated and very reasonable if you have used it for several years, you also are able to use last year's return to save time on setting up this year's.Turbo Tax is from Intuit. I always try to avoid anything from Intuit since they pulled that crap with Turbo Tax a few years ago where they wouldn't let you print your return from another computer if you had installed it on a different computer first.Just another form of DRM in my book. Sad too. The only thing I use from Intuit is QuickBooks and that's because it's what was bought for the business we are managing. It's a great program but WAY overpriced and Intuit are pretty greedy in their multi user licenses too, IMHO.

LilBambiI know you hate Intuit and are big on anti-DRM but I really think Intuit learned from their mistake! I have a different view on DRM but this is not the place to discuss that. Here is from the EULA this year:

You may: (a) install and use a copy of the Software on one or more computers owned by you (at home or at work); ( :hmm: use the Software only to prepare, print and/or electronically file up to five federal 2006 tax year returns and related state tax returns; and © make one backup copy of the Software for personal use as permitted under this license grant.
That looks pretty generous to me. You will find the entire EULA here: http://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/desktoplicense.jhtmlI donate a lot to various charities including things like clothes, etc. TurboTax has It's Deductible built in now and that helps greatly in getting the most out of your deductions and avoiding audits. Last year I changed how I had things listed to avoid being audited. I gave away a lot of virtually new clothing but changed how I listed them rather than have to prove the quality of what I donated. I won't use anything else. It looks to me like the free TaxCut software is way short of what I would need. Here is a site that gives some basic comparison. It points out that you can import previous years of TaxCut into TurboTax just as TaxCut will import TurboTax. http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software...comparison.htmlIf you have a basic return and want free then go to the IRS Free File Program (http://www.irs.gov/). For my niece and daughter phoning in the short form is the cheapest way to go. I think it all boils down to personal preference. TaxCut is the cheapest out there. I always do the coupon/sale/rebate game and come out ahead with TurboTax. I don't see how it can get any easier to get a full return completed (as opposed to a basic return). I think the best advice is to use what you are comfortable with. I did find I had to jump through a few hoops this year to import files from a PC and a Mac into my return. They sure could improve in that area.Note the smilie is really a b in parentheses - the forum software took it for a smilie rather than an outline format. :thumbsup: The c in parentheses was changed to © -- what a hoot.

Jerry, you don't type the forms in TaxAct. It fills them out and you print them. It's a great program and keeps updated and very reasonable if you have used it for several years, you also are able to use last year's return to save time on setting up this year's.Turbo Tax is from Intuit. I always try to avoid anything from Intuit since they pulled that crap with Turbo Tax a few years ago where they wouldn't let you print your return from another computer if you had installed it on a different computer first.Just another form of DRM in my book. Sad too. The only thing I use from Intuit is QuickBooks and that's because it's what was bought for the business we are managing. It's a great program but WAY overpriced and Intuit are pretty greedy in their multi user licenses too, IMHO.
Yes, I appreciate that it does fill out the forms, and imports last years return, and things that carry forward. I would not want to go to a program that would not import my last year's information.My reference to typing was when I did not use TaxAct, and filled out the forms in long hand, and then my wife typed them. Boy, does the program save us a lot of time, and in some cases money. I would not want to have to mail the forms any more. The e-file gets it done fast, and you know if your return is accepted by the IRS.Anyway, "The tax man cometh."Regards,Jerry

Guest LilBambi

Wow, it does look like Intuit mended their ways regarding the problems they had before with DRM and not being considerate of their users.Glad to hear it. Now if they would do the same with Quick Books, they'd have a lot more users. Their costs on that are WAY out of line. :thumbsup:

Yes, I appreciate that it does fill out the forms, and imports last years return, and things that carry forward. I would not want to go to a program that would not import my last year's information.My reference to typing was when I did not use TaxAct, and filled out the forms in long hand, and then my wife typed them. Boy, does the program save us a lot of time, and in some cases money. I would not want to have to mail the forms any more. The e-file gets it done fast, and you know if your return is accepted by the IRS.Anyway, "The tax man cometh."Regards,Jerry
Ah, OK. I know what you mean! Sure does make all the difference in the world!