Vista = Titanic?

Grasshopper

Well I have had enough of it. I wiped it off my machine. After is comes out I may upgrade to it but I will not dual boot with it.
Congrats, but would you care to tell us why you are washing your hands of it, Gary? I had thought I had heard you saying that you were using it as a daily OS. :thumbsup:
RandomBox,I am sorry but I am getting confused.
I apologize!

Congrats, but would you care to tell us why you are washing your hands of it, Gary? I had thought I had heard you saying that you were using it as a daily OS. :thumbsup: I apologize!
It would be a crap shoot every time I turned my machine on to see if it would boot or not. I got tired of having to shut it down manually. The same when it went into (when I put it in sleep, as it would not go into it on it's own)sleep, it would only come out about 30% of the time without me having to shut the machine down.This is not good for the hard drives and I am not going to ruin my machine over a OS that is definitely not ready for prime time.(build 5744). I was not one of the chosen few to get a copy of the RTM release. So when it comes out in Jan , 2007 and after the say first 50 patches , I may upgrade to it. Right now I am trying to get the leftovers out of Xp. Edited by Gary

It would be a crap shoot every time I turned my machine on to see if it would boot or not. I got tired of having to shut it down manually. The same when it went into (when I put it in sleep, as it would not go into it on it's own)sleep, it would only come out about 30% of the time without me having to shut the machine down.This is not good for the hard drives and I am not going to ruin my machine over a OS that is definitely not ready for prime time.(build 5744). I was not one of the chosen few to get a copy of the RTM release. So when it comes out in Jan , 2007 and after the say first 50 patches , I may upgrade to it. Right now I am trying to get the leftovers out of Xp.
The RTM seems to have solved the shutdown, sleep & wake up. :hysterical: AND I am still dual booting since some of my programs and games don't function in Vista. :w00t:

James M. Fisher
The RTM seems to have solved the shutdown, sleep & wake up. :o AND I am still dual booting since some of my programs and games don't function in Vista. ;)
I'm seeing the same here Ron...RTM has not given me any probs with sleep/hibernate/shutdown, etc. Still dual booting as well.

I am currently running Vista RTM without AntiVirus... nothing has happened, go figure.Locked down mode does work. But you can be sured that Security Center is bugging me in the system tray becuase it does not detect an AntiVirus package.Someone mentioned that he/she is scared because AntiSpyware is now built-in .. I would consider otherwise. Windows has long needed security built-in. No users are willing to buy an OS and then grab another package just for AntiVirus or AntiSpyware. Life is just simpler with things integrated. AntiSpyware also does not replace AntiVirus, so I don't see what the fuss is about.

Edited by ThunderRiver

I am currently running Vista RTM without AntiVirus... nothing has happened, go figure.Locked down mode does work. But you can be sured that Security Center is bugging me in the system tray becuase it does not detect an AntiVirus package.Someone mentioned that he/she is scared because AntiSpyware is now built-in .. I would consider otherwise. Windows has long needed security built-in. No users are willing to buy an OS and then grab another package just for AntiVirus or AntiSpyware. Life is just simpler with things integrated. AntiSpyware also does not replace AntiVirus, so I don't see what the fuss is about.
Most Antispyware is free.
nothing has happened, go figure.
How would you know????????????????????

Would be great if MicroSoft somehow figured out how to seamlessly integrated all security (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware and/or anti-malware, etc) as core features of WinVista. Just like they have always seen fit to include the hobbled Paint and Notepad within their Operating Systems. But I wonder how many WinVista Beta/RTM users have actually noticed that both Paint and Notepad are still as dismal of programs as they have always been! This not to say that either of these programs don't work: I bet if I plugged in a FloppyDisketteDrive in my system it would still work but would I want to?Has anyone noticed in WinVista how the SecurityCenter TaskBar icon permanently stays RED and losses its effectiveness to the point of becoming annoying, if the user decides to change any security settings intentionally but not according to mothership?

James M. Fisher

Yes, Paint & Notepad are relatively unchanged, but I never really used them anyway. Notepad does what I need it to do, and there are excellent third-party alternatives (free) out there. With all the software that comes with digital cameras, scanners and printers these days, I doubt anyone prefers Paint to manipulate images.I still haven't installed an AV in Vista RTM yet, and the Security Center icon in hidden with other inactive toolbar icons. :hysterical:

One of the primary reasons for no one using Paint/Notepad is that most users (not advanced users) don't even know that they are hidden programs within the Accessory folder.I prefer to use EditPad (Lite version is a FREEware) for text files and IrfanView (FREEware) or PaintShopPro for imaging needs. as I have since the original Win3.1 days. I get a lot of mileage from EditPad on a daily basis. (I think there is a FREEbie NotePad that is an improved version of this basic text editor but I will leave it up to the interested to dig it out on the web!)

James M. Fisher

I use EditPad Lite myself; works great in Vista, too! I'm quite happy with the MS Office Picture Manager for simple editing of photos.