Planned Forum Outage (and Forums Reording)

Scot

Our webhost is moving our forums database to a different server in the near future.They predict at least a two-hour downtime. It's quite possible the downtime will be longer because I need to do things on the backend to make the forums come up again.It is possible that I will take the forums down, or that they will just pull the plug. I've asked for a warning. Or it's possible you will just see a MySQL error.Also, I've changed the order of the forums, placing the Windows, Linux, and Mac forums at the top. I think this organization makes more sense. Hope you agree.Thanks,-- Scot

James M. Fisher
Also, I've changed the order of the forums, placing the Windows, Linux, and Mac forums at the top. I think this organization makes more sense. Hope you agree.Thanks,-- Scot
Looks great, Scot. :thumbsup:

Also, I've changed the order of the forums, placing the Windows, Linux, and Mac forums at the top. I think this organization makes more sense. Hope you agree.
Good plan Scot ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Bruno

I've reopened the forums for now. IX has not yet performed the migration of the databases, and they also haven't told me when they're going to do it. Hopefully they will communicate before they pull the plug. I'm taking backups every 12 hours or so.-- Scot

Also, I've changed the order of the forums, placing the Windows, Linux, and Mac forums at the top. I think this organization makes more sense. Hope you agree.
Now to stir the pot just a bit ....... "why not in alphabetical order" .... :thumbsup: B)

Guest LilBambi
Looks great Scot! Good plan. B)

You may have seen a MySQL error for a while this evening. IX finally made the database change (without warning me). And it was out for a while after they fixed it because their trouble ticket system doesn't have email notification, so I just happened to check and lo and behold, forum error. Which meant I had to reconfigure for the new MySQL host address. Long and short, we've moved the databases to a new server.So, the planned outage is over.-- Scot

Now to stir the pot just a bit ....... "why not in alphabetical order" .... :) :hmm:
Sorting by number of topics or number of replies with higher numbers on top would seem like a more logical choice also. :o

Thanks ScotI happen to think you have it right on for the All Things forums. Ed has a great idea but I think that should only be for those from Browser through Web Development. The Water Cooler and Forum topics at the bottom are very much in the right place.So far, so good! :)