KVM Switch and mouse problems

mhbell

I have a manual KVM (keyboard, Video and Mouse) Switch for 4 computers so that I can use the same Keyboard Video and Mouse for all of the computers by switching from one to the other. My problem is I have a optical mouse and when I switch back from one computer to another my mouse is not detected or freezes up. The keyboard works fine and so does the monitor. I have heard that there is a program that I can install to keep this from happening. Does anyone know where I can get it or a fix or work around for this problem..ThanksMel :whistling:

That functionality is usually built-in to the KVM itself. I have never heard of software to do that.
That may be true for windows but I do know that there is a program for Linux that will keep your mouse active when you switch to another computer or maybe it is a setting. When I switch from one windows computer to another windows computer I lose my mouse this is a manual KVM switch and not a electronic one. My mouse is a optical mouse and not one that is mechanical.Mel :whistling:

If you're using Windows' generic mouse driver, try to obtain one that's hardware specific.If you're using a hardware specific driver, try using Windows' generic mouse driver.Don't know that it makes any difference but, is it a USB mouse or a PS2 mouse?Also which version(s) of Windows?

If you're using Windows' generic mouse driver, try to obtain one that's hardware specific.If you're using a hardware specific driver, try using Windows' generic mouse driver.Don't know that it makes any difference but, is it a USB mouse or a PS2 mouse?Also which version(s) of Windows?
The KVM Switch is a inland 4 port manual switch. the mouse is a wise tech optical mouse 2 button with wheel and it is ps2, the monitor is a Sceptre flat panel 19 inch the keyboard is a MS internet Ps2 there is 3 computers hooked to the switch 2 of them have xp pro and one with ME. Everything works unitl I switch between computers and then my mouse does not work anymore. using the windows drivers on each machine mouse is detected on each machine it is only when I try to switch back that the mouse does not work. It may be that the KVM switch does not have a mouse imulator.. Everything now days is plug and pray no specific drivers came with the mouse. Monitor and keyboard have no trouble.Mel :thumbsup: Edited by mhbell

I highly recommend USB devices when working with KVM. At work, my KVM only takes USB keyboard and USB mouse.Check with your KVM manufacturer and see if they have an online forum. Perhaps, it is already being discussed there.

rbdietz & mhbell yes, it makes a difference if it is a ps/2 or usb mouse.the ps/2 mouse port on each pc must be kept alive by the kvm or when switched will indeed not be there when you come back.so... mhbell has this kvm every worked with these machines while in windows?if so, the device may have failed.or the device may not be designed with a keyboard and mouse keep alive feature. i suspect the latter. as you say it is a manual (vs electronic) switch. i suspect it has no power supply? no power supply may mean no keep alive.
I would suspect that you are right no keep it alive in the manual KVM Switch. I had a Belkin 4 port Electronic KVM But when I went to a 19 inch flat panel monitor it would not work for the video. so I used this old manual Inland KVM and no mouse.Guess I will have to use 2 mouse or get a KVM that will work with everything..MelPS Thanks for the reply.. :lol:

May not help ... but,I have a 2way PS2 KVM ... it must be 'powered' off the PS2 keyboard port as it has NO independent power supply but does have two lights to tell you which PC it is on ... I have no problem switching between PCsActuarially, I was messing around one day and forgot to attach the KVM mouse end to one of the PCs, I just plugged it in (yes live B) ) and the mouse worked. :hysterical: I have recently replaced that mouse with two MX700 USB mices ... one for each PC ... I like them. Never thought to use just one and a USB/PS2 adaptor. :) B)