Why is OE less safe?

JerryM

I might ask the question another way. If I did not have Firefox, could I not use Thunderbird?
Yes you can.
Hi Gary,I don't use the preview pane.Are you saying that Avira Classic would permit infection while the Premium version or Avast would not?
Good, no I am not. The free version of Avast will work just fine as I am sure that Avira Does as well.
fascinating.one wonders if that will be possible with vista?
OE is not used in Vista. Windows Mail is.

Ha! :lol:Who wants to be that Windows Mail = Outlook Express with a different title bar? ;)
It does have a tad more security than OE does. But yes I guess it is Vista's version of OE.

OE uses the IE engine to display HTML e-mail. ;)Adam
OK, it finally dawned on me that there had to be some engine that would check and process mail even though the browser was not open.Thanks all for the help.Best,Jerry

Jerry......You are close... the IE engine doesn't really check for the e-mail... OE itself will do that fine. The IE engine is used to display the HTML in any mail that you receive that has HTML in it.Adam

Being a long-time user of Outlook Express, I generally share Gary's perspective. Some of the things you can do to secure your use of Outlook Express:(1) Install IE 7 to remove IE integration with the Windows OS shell. I don't use IE but did this just for that purpose (a hangover from my Win98/98lite days).(2) Use real-time protection, preferably one integrated with IE, i.e. Windows Defender. I prefer to use just one real-time protection application so I use Avast. It offers file system, email, network, p2p, im protection without significantly slowing down my system.(3) Use a security app that specifically has an OE protection feature. Avast does this for me.(4) Use OE security options like 'restricted sites zone', not allow attachment to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus', 'block images and other external content in html e-mail'. The thing I like about OE is that it is simple, meets my needs, and I can just copy my store folder to a backup media and import from that location when I need to (like after doing a clean reinstall of XP or using Portable Thunderbird). In Vista, from what I've read, Protected Mode replaces Unified Navigation. This should make it much more secure than XP, especially with built-in protection like Windows Defender.

Jerry......You are close... the IE engine doesn't really check for the e-mail... OE itself will do that fine. The IE engine is used to display the HTML in any mail that you receive that has HTML in it.Adam
Thanks, Adam. I guess that is the reason that HTML is not as safe.KAV 6, which I use on desktop, has a mail scanner. Avira Classic does not, but handles email as any other download. I am not sure that KAV has an OE specific protection feature.I do use the HTML for the displays. At least I think that is necessary to see the illustrations/images in the email.Best,Jerry