Internet access with Parallels

Soporose

What's the situation with Internet access from both OS/X and XP-under-parallels?Can you have Internet access from both OSs as you flip back and forth?

What's the situation with Internet access from both OS/X and XP-under-parallels?Can you have Internet access from both OSs as you flip back and forth?
I've never used Parallels, but I'm assuming it acts somewhat like VirtualPC-type emulators (except it's not really emulating x86 because you're already on one and whatnot ... but I just mean in that it creates a "sandbox"-type environment). In that case, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I assume you'd just connect to the Internet normally in OS X, set up a "network" (with Internet connection sharing) if you don't already have one, and then set up the XP in Parallels to connect to that network.Parallels probably has instructions somewhere, otherwise, maybe someone here who has experience with the software will be able to help more if you need it.

I've never used Parallels, but I'm assuming it acts somewhat like VirtualPC-type emulators (except it's not really emulating x86 because you're already on one and whatnot ... but I just mean in that it creates a "sandbox"-type environment). In that case, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I assume you'd just connect to the Internet normally in OS X, set up a "network" (with Internet connection sharing) if you don't already have one, and then set up the XP in Parallels to connect to that network.Parallels probably has instructions somewhere, otherwise, maybe someone here who has experience with the software will be able to help more if you need it.
Thanks Robert.I'm a longtime Windows user with a Macbook Pro on my shopping list, but I will need to have access to XP for several apps. I like the idea of toggling between the OSs rather than a reboot with Bootcamp.I have seen this topic raised a couple of times, with new Parallels users unable to get Internet connectivity from both OS when toggling between them, so I'm trying to sort it out ahead of time.Any specific guidance would be greatly appreciated from anyone who knows the score.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to confirm, access to the Internet is the same with Parallels as with all other virtualization utilities I've ever tested. The virtualization utility installs its own network drivers, but they essentially hook into the onboard networking harder. Bottom line: Yes, you'll have Internet (and networking) access from both OSes. You can even network between them and pass files back and forth. Most virtualizing utilities also have a drop-box where you can pass files back and forth too. Internet access is easy from your virtualized OS with Parallels.The issues about Parallels and internet connectivity were with the earlier betas. It's shipped now.-- Scot