sound recorder won't play automatically

bluejay

Ok, folks, got another one for you. I want to play wav files with sndrec32.exe. A straight association brings up the program but I have to click the play button to run the particular wav file that I want to hear. What I want is for the program to run the file automatically so that when I run a wav file the sound will play without further intervention on my part and the program will close automatically after ward. I've tried editing the registry six ways from Sunday including inserting play -play /play close -close /close with combinations of %1 "%1". Also tried creating my own brand new wav class referring to wavfile instead of soundrec which is the default. Still no go. The program comes up but it won't run. It used to work in win98 but won't work now in my win2k upgrade. Any ideas?

Guest LilBambi

You could try this:Choose SOUND RECORDER (yellow speaker) from the OPEN WITH list.Make sure that "Always use..." is checked. This will restore the original defaults of OPEN (C:\Windows\Sndrec32.exe) and PLAY (C:\Windows\Sndrec32.exe /play /close) and they will appear as they did previously on the Right-Click menu (with the default being a PLAY that will play the sound).

That's precisely what I did. It used to work in win98 but it doesn't work in win2k.This is the setting I use for my wavfile entry:_____________________________________REGEDIT4[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wavfile][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wavfile\DefaultIcon]@="C:\WINNT\system32\sndrec32.exe"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wavfile\shell]@="&play"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wavfile\shell\play][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wavfile\shell\play\command]@="C:\WINNT\system32\sndrec32.exe /play /close %1"___________________________________________________The SoundRec entry (which I am not using because it won't do what I want it to) is this:______________________________________________REGEDIT4[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SoundRec]@="Wave Sound"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SoundRec\CLSID]@="{00020C01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SoundRec\protocol][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SoundRec\protocol\StdExecute][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SoundRec\protocol\StdExecute\server]@="sndrec32.exe"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SoundRec\protocol\StdFileEditing][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SoundRec\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]@="sndrec32.exe"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SoundRec\protocol\StdFileEditing\verb][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SoundRec\protocol\StdFileEditing\verb<!--POST BOX-->]@="&Play"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SoundRec\protocol\StdFileEditing\verb]@="&Edit"_______________________________________________This one is a little tricky and I am not sure how to edit it to add the /play /close components.Hope someone can help.

• 20 years later...
vince776767621

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\sndrec32.exe]
@="SndRec32"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\sndrec32.exe\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\sndrec32.exe\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\sndrec32.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"D:\\SndRec32\\SndRec32.exe\" /play /close \"%1\""

vince776767621

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SoundRec]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SoundRec\CLSID]
@="{00020C01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SoundRec\protocol]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SoundRec\protocol\StdExecute]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SoundRec\protocol\StdExecute\server]
@="sndrec32.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SoundRec\protocol\StdFileEditing]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SoundRec\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]
@="sndrec32.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SoundRec\shellex]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SoundRec\shellex\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]
@="{031EE060-67BC-460d-8847-E4A7C5E45A27}"

vince776767621

CLSID is the key here You may need to add your own file folders and possibly the right long numbers (maybe not), but at least you can increase volume on wav files.

(select "always" after a [R]-[Click] on any .wav
            to get it started).

Got these by right clicking SndRec32.exe

...run in compatibility for Xp Sp3
    [Properties]-[Security]-[Advanced]- [Disable Inheritance]

Then I tried Recycler.wav, started Sndrec32.exe and closed it
    then...
    [Properties]-[Security]-[Advanced]- [Enable Inheritance]

Remove compatibility mode and POOF !

HEY

It worked!