New Macbook

bjf123

Looks like the G4 iBook has been officially retired and replaced with the new Intel based MacBook. You can now have the case in black, in addition to the traditional white. Unfortunately, neither I nor my wife have any need for a new laptop. Her iBook is still going strong, as is my PowerBook. My iMac could use a replacement, though, so there might be a new iMac in my future.

Worth noting that they also bumped up the speeds for free on the MacBook Pro's and also added an option to get a "glossy" screen. Also it doesn't seem like you have a choice between black and white ... it just depends on whether the model you want comes in that color. On second thought ... the only difference between the 2.0 GHz white and 2.0 GHz black appears to be that the black comes standard with an 80 GB hard drive whereas the white one is 60, but even when you bump the white one up to 80 so they have the same specs, the black is still $100 more expensive. Interesting. (According to this page, all the specs appear to be identical other than that. Very odd.)On a totally unrelated note, I'd personally prefer a larger screen than a 13-in. one, though (which I'm sure is great for people who want something that its truely portable), because I'd like to use mine as a desktop replacement and prefer larger screens for OS X (I'm thinking of selling my revision-A iMac G5 and two-year-old HP laptop), so I'm thinking a 15-in MacBook Pro may be in my future.On a related note ... I have a 17" iMac G5 now that runs at 1440x900, also the resolution of the 15-in MacBook Pros. Does anyone have experience as to whether this makes some text too small and difficult to read? (I already have to occasionally adjust text size on my iMac ... and it's not my eyes, I'm not even 20 yet. :wacko:)

I wouldn't mind a larger screen, either. I've got a 15" PowerBook, and my wife has a smaller iBook. The PowerBook / MacBookPro is a better looking unit, but the iBook is a more rugged unit.