Can't run check disk

RRinMesa

Just recently when I boot up I get a screen that has 4 lines of text, one of which is:Can not open volume for Direct AccessThe computer seems to be operating OK so I just ignored it. But then I tried to run Check Disk and it came up again and didn't run. I googled the line and most of what I found dealt with getting the most recent service packs. I am completely up to date on everything. Any ideas? Thanks,RRinMesa

Guest LilBambi

Are you sure you have Service Pack 2?Here's MS KB article on this particular problem:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823439

"Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access" Error Message When Chkdsk Runs at StartupAPPLIES TO• Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition• Microsoft Windows XP Home EditionArticle ID : 823439Last Review : August 25, 2004Revision : 1.0SYMPTOMSWhen you schedule the Chkdsk utility to run at startup, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following when you restart the computer:Cannot open volume for direct access.The type of the file system is NTFS.IFSUTIL: Can't open drive. Status returned = c0000043.Windows has finished checking the disk.RESOLUTIONTo resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service packSTATUSMicrosoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.
If you already have Service Pack 2, this might shed some light:
I am unable to run CHKDSK, it cannot lock or open volume for direct access. John SavillInstantDoc #14614John Savill's FAQ for WindowsA. When you run Check Disk (CHKDSK) or AutoChk on a partition on which NT is installed you may receive one of the following messages * Cannot lock volume for direct access * Cannot open volume for direct accessThis can be caused by a 3rd party application locking the partition such as a virus checker or disk monitor tool. To correct disable any 3rd party services or devices that may be locking the partition. 1. Start the Services control panel applet (Start - Settings - Control Panel - Services) 2. Select the service and click Startup 3. Set the startup type to Manual and click OK 4. Repeat for any other services 5. Start the Devices control panel applet (Start - Settings - Control Panel - Devices) 6. Set the startup type to disabled for any 3rd-party devices who you think might be causing the lock problem but BE CAREFUL. If you are unsure the device you are disabling may stop system startup create a second hardware profile and test (see 'Q. How can I safely disable a device?'). 7. Restart the machine, the drive should no longer be locked
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/Articl...4614/14614.html

Can you defrag? Do you have a utility from the manufacturer that checks the disk for errors?
1. Teacher - I use diskeeper for defrag. Is there a utility as part of the purchased version to check disks for errors? 2. LilBambi - as I originally wrote I'm up to date on everything. I use Windows update religiously. I can't think of any new 3rd party software programs that I've recently installed that could have caused that.RRinMesa

Sorry RR butI don't know a thing about diskeeper. I run the utilities that come with XP so that's all I know to check. I would try the MS utility to see if that works. It could be a problem with your diskeeper program possibly?

It might help us if you could tell us which firewall and which AV you're running.To me with the information you have given us so far it leads me to believe Diskeepers Boot Time defrag might be a possible culprit, but then again it would be better if you gave us some more info to work with.BTW : Is it XP SP2 you're running?

Try scheduling a disk check, then boot the computer in Safe Mode and see if it'll run. That might give you a clue that something's running in the background and locking the disk down. Just as an example, ZoneAlarm is known to do this.

I tried the suggestion made by Temmu - didn't work. The text came up and then rolled on to the boot up.Striker - I'm using Kerio Personal Firewall 4 (Paid version) and AVG Free Editionkkehoe - How would I boot up in Safe Mood? It's been so long I can't remember how to do it.Thanks,RRinMesa - Rick

Has Diskeeper a Boot Time Defrag scheduled ?If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions. * If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power * Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on. * Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again. * Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected. * Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode. * When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.To use the System Configuration Utility method * Close all open programs. * Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK * The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted. * The computer restarts in Safe mode. * Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode. When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computerWindows as part of a multiboot systemUse this method ONLY if you have multiple operating systems installed on your computer. * If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power * Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on. * When the Boot loader menu (list of the available operating systems) appears, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select the version Windows what you want * Press Enter, and then immediately begin tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears. * Scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter.Or see this : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;315222

Edited by striker