Updating Slackware, Debian, SuSE and RH

Bruno

* was split off from other thread ( New Updates MDK ) by Bruno Quint we know from other threads how important those updates are, so someone has to keep an eye on them. Only wish someone would do the same for RedHat and SuSE.Stryking however is the amount of updates this 9.1 has had up till now. Must be about 300 MB. I remember the total for 9.0 was not more then 200 MB over the full 6 month !:ph34r: Bruno

Quint we know from other threads how important those updates are, so someone has to keep an eye on them. Only wish someone would do the same for RedHat and SuSE.Stryking however is the amount of updates this 9.1 has had up till now. Must be about 300 MB. I remember the total for 9.0 was not more then 200 MB over the full 6 month !:( Bruno
Have been spending most of my time in Slack and Mandrake...but there are some updates for RH 9.0, that I installed recently. Cannot list them anymore :( and I don't exactly know when they came out, but anyone using RH can check Up2Date. :( Tell me, Bruno, how does one update Slack? B) Do you just wait for the next minor release? Have been avoiding SuSE 8.2 lately...don't really know why. B)

I know how to update Debian: < apt-get update > , but not yet Slackware, I will look into that tomorrow. Because Slack uses only ¨stable¨ packages in it´s distibutions, they are likely to be far less then for other disto´s. Anyway you will have the answer tomorrow, or if you find it before me, just post it here ! B) ( I know you will be faster then me ! ):( Bruno

I know how to update Debian: < apt-get update > , but not yet Slackware, I will look into that tomorrow. Because Slack uses only ¨stable¨ packages in it´s distibutions, they are likely to be far less then for other disto´s. Anyway you will have the answer tomorrow, or if you find it before me, just post it here ! :( ( I know you will be faster then me ! )B) Bruno
Doh! Should have realized that about Slack, thanks. Will try to find some info, but hardly think I'd find it faster. B)

As far as I can see for updating RedHat is thru the option that comes with the OS, but you need to be a paid member to use this option. Is that how the other distros work?

KellyOnly RedHat works that way, but I did hear that you do not have to be a paying subscriber to get the updates from RedHat, I think LilBambi and George can tell you how/what to do.Each distro has its own ways of updating, that´s why we started this thread; to gather information about it ! So anybody with usefull information . . . .let us know ! ( There is a seperate thread for Mandrake )The plan is to have a RedHat update alert thread, a SuSE update alert thread, seperate from the already existing Mandrake thread. For all the other distro´s this will be the thread to look for info.B) Bruno

No doubt in my mind,thanks; was just about to post this little tidbit of interest:ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/sla...nstall-packagesInteresting reading. B)
Quint, that is a script that you can install in the same way as the ¨cdcopy script¨ you installed on your Slack last week. Note: its only a script to install already downloaded packages from the commandline, I think I would prefer to do it with MC ( the Midnight Commander ):( Bruno

I think I would prefer to do it with MC ( the Midnight Commander )
MC is a very interesting program; am looking for a tutorial for it, as I write this. Thanks, Bruno. :lol:

Quint:I suppose you found This already, just wanna be sure . . . . there is all the info about the MC.Think it comes installed by default in Slack . . . will check . . . . . checked, it is installed; just type ´mc´ at the prompt Quint, as normal user or as root, depends on what you want to do. The MC works also in text mode ( without X ) in runlevel 3 ! Such a brilliant tool ! ( also for changing your XF86Config files and other things you do outside X :) ):) Bruno

For Red Hat, all you have to do is type "up2date" at a shell or click on that ever so annoying red exclamation mark next to the clock.... All updates are free for Redhat as long as it's for one computer. If you register more than one OS/Computer with them, you are only "entitled" to get updates for one of them. If you really wanted to be a shmuck, you could log on to Red Hat Network and get into your system list and disable your newly updated Red Hat etitlement and activate the other one...... Some people do that... Seems having a great OS for free isn't enough.... They want to get updates for 10 diffirent computers for free as well..... :) Jon

Yes and Yes.... :) I just reinstalled last night cause I was bored.... It's so fun to re-setup your favorite OS..... Just got back from RHN.... Of course updates depend on the packages you have installed but here is a list for my RH9 system. I did a fairly hefty install. Pretty much everything except for the server packages....Updated printer database availableUpdated 2.4 kernel fixes vulnerabilities and driver bugs Security Advisory Updated ghostscript packages fix vulnerabilitySecurity Advisory Updated CUPS packages fix denial of service attackSecurity Advisory Updated gnupg packages fix validation bugSecurity Advisory Updated tcpdump packages fix privilege dropping errorSecurity Advisory Updated 2.4 kernel fixes security vulnerabilities and various bugsSecurity Advisory Updated xinetd packages fix a denial-of-service attack and other bugsSecurity Advisory Updated KDE packages fix security issuesSecurity Advisory Updated LPRng packages fix psbanner vulnerabilityAnd then I had 30 updated packages such as Evolution, cups, ghostscript, glibc, glibc-common, ect....ect..... (newer versions)..... Red Hat is really good about updates. Actually, they need to spend more time on the final releases..... I was getting an email every week from them about a bug fix...... :) Jon

JonCan I ask you a favor: would you mind to maintain a special thread about RedHat Updates like the one I do for Mandrake ??It would be much appeciated by all RedHat users.The info you posted above could be the first post in the new thread. + info how to go about updating.:) Bruno

Yea, I'd be happy to. I actually missed over half of the security updates... Those were only about a third of what is available.....Jon

Brilliant Jon, thank you !! Just call it ¨ NEW UPDATES REDHAT¨ that way it will look simular to the Mandrake thread !I will soon make a post in The Tips about updating in general, there I will put links to your and my threads about RedHat and Mandrake. All new members can subscribe to the ¨ update¨ thread of their favorite distro.Thanks JonB) Bruno

Quint:I suppose you found This already, just wanna be sure . . . .  there is all the info about the MC.Think it comes installed by default in Slack . . . will check . . . . . checked, it is installed; just type ´mc´ at the prompt Quint, as normal user or as root, depends on what you want to do. The MC works also in text mode ( without X ) in runlevel 3 ! Such a brilliant tool ! ( also for changing your XF86Config files and other things you do outside X ;) )B) Bruno
That's one I missed, but am printing right now - it's exactly what I was looking for, thanks Bruno. :D Had been relying on this site, but the one you recommended is superior. B) MC

This isn't an update, but people using RedHat might find it useful:Was searching in RedHat 9.0 for how to create an "extra" boot floppy...nowhere to be found! B) So, taking a page from Fran's book, went to Google, and found a very small "rpm" file that does exactly that:QMKBootDiskUsing Bruno's command-line RPM install, no need to re-boot, had a "boot floppy" in about three minutes...(I type s-l-o-w). ;) Check it out - never hurts to have a spare. ;)Edit: if you have more than one kernel version, it also lets you choose which to make the bootdisk for. :D

Quint,You can use the mkbootdsk /dev/fd0 command in RedHat to make a boot floppy.
Thanks, Peachy; I remembered you suggested that a while back, but could not for the life of me locate the thread. I'm getting everything prepared that I can think of, before trying the kernel compilation - thanks very much. ;)

This is what I see when I log into the RH Network than into my accountProfile Name: HavnEntitlement:DemoNotifications:Errata EmailAuto Errata Update:Auto Errata Update only available for paying accountsBuy NowWhen I run up2date:Error Message: Service not enabled for system profile: "havnblast"Error Class Code: 31Error Class Info: This system does not have a valid entitlement for Red Hat Network. Please visit https://rhn.redhat.com/network/systems/enti...ntitlements.pxt or login at https://rhn.redhat.com, and from the "Systems" tab, select "System Entitlements" to enable RHN service for this system.Explanation: An error has occurred while processing your request. If this problem persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com. If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to include details of what you were trying to do when this error occurred and details on how to reproduce this problem.

What does it say on your system etitlements screen? I had this happen to me once.... I forget what the error code was but try logging in and then go to the systems tab. Then pick system entitlements.. Make sure it says demo. Or change it to none and hit the update button. log out, log back in, change it back to demo, update the changes.... Or try deleting all of your systems and then running up2date.... You'll have to finesse it.... If you have multiple systems listed, that could be the problem... If all else fails, send them an email. They are good about getting back to you... Just give them the full error code.Jon

This is what I see when I log into the RH Network than into my accountProfile Name: HavnEntitlement:DemoNotifications:Errata EmailAuto Errata Update:Auto Errata Update only available for paying accountsBuy Now
This is what I see about EntitlementI notice you can download Kernal updates manually - see my post about Oops