needle, haystack and Windows ME

zlim

Someone called who hasn't been able to connect to the internet in 4 or 5 days. I went to have a look. The computer is hardwired to a linksys router and uses Comcast. The other computer in the house is a wifi notebook (XP) with no problems.1. I wired the computer directly to the cable modem to see if it was a router problem. The computer still could not connect to the internet. I figured it was a computer problem and not a router/cable modem problem.2. I went thru all the settings in network under two NIC cards listed. (I'm not real clear why the computer has two NICs. Maybe one was installed because the owner did not realize the computer had a NIC). I made sure that the settings matched the settings on my nb running ME because I have the same router and cable service.3. Occasionally, I'd get an error about IPHLPAPI.dll not being able to start.I downloaded another from the internet when I got home but it was only about 32kb. I also looked at the one I had in my C:\Windows\System and that is about 47kb. I have them both renamed and on a floppy to take with me. I'm not sure why the size would be so different? I'll start with the smaller and see if the does anything.4. Two programs in the tray have me concerned so I will see if they are spyware related and if questionable, remove them.He is running AVG, which appeared up to date but if he can't get on the internet, it might need something. (no firewall) which isn't a problem hardwired to a router. I saw a Norton AV shortcut on the desktop but when I clicked it, it appeared as if it had not been installed so I don't think the problem is two running AVs fighting for control. He also has AdAware installed but I didn't look to see how up to date it was.Where else do I look to see what might be preventing this computer from getting on the internet? When I launch IE (v6.02 with cipher strength 128), the status bar says looking up proxy info which takes a loooong time, then it will say, loading yahoo (his start page) and finally the 404 error. I cleared cookies and the browser cache. It took so long to clear the cache that I think it may never have been done. <sigh>System Restore isn't an option because I don't think it has been turned on. As far as I can tell, there is one restore point back in June 2002!!! Once I get it working properly, I may turn it on. It would cause me fewer future headaches!Personally, I'd love to bring the computer here and delouse, defrag, clean the registry, see if I can get on the internet via my connection and get rid of most of the crapware but that isn't an option.Just point me to other things I have to look at.I saved the best for last, LOL. I set up the wired and wifi setup for this couple. Because she is a doctor and may have sensitive things on her wifi nb, I made sure that I set up a decent SSID and password so it couldn't be guessed. She can't find the SSID and password that I wrote down for her. (I may have a copy but I'm not sure - I can't keep track of everyone's info for everything). End result, I can't get into the router set-up page to look over those settings to see if anything weird shows for the ME computer. :thumbsup:

Edited by zlim

I don't have clients. I have senior citizens that I help for free.Thanks, I will do the three things mentioned the next time I'm there, probably Monday.I also found a post from jeber. I'll ping 127.0.0.1 to see if there is a TCP/IP problem and I'll take the winsock fix on a floppy just in case removing spyware brekas this. (One of the things I searched for Spam Blocker Utility is spyware). I need to install SpywareBlaster to keep some of this stuff off.I'll ping 4.2.2.2 to see if I can reach a DNS server on the internet. Thank you jeber!If the ping fails for 192.168.1.1, where do I look next?

Edited by zlim

Well, the first obvious program is that the computer is Windows ME :w00t:As for some more useful suggestions :thumbsup: ... - Perhaps the router address is 192.168.0.1 (mine is). - Is there a proxy server setup when there shouldn't be? - Is the auto-detect proxy option checked? - Is the router set up as DHCP or static IPs? - If DHCP, have you tried a release/renew of the network IP address? - Have you tried a differnet browser like Firefox - Have you tried getting online via other programs? (email, etc.) - Have you tried completely disabling NAV? (removing NAV related items from MSCONFIG -> Startup)

Edited by epp_b

I think most of my routers have a little spot where you insert a paperclip or something and it resets the router. That will clear all of those settings so they can start over. :)Are you sure their network connection on this computer has not died?

Are you sure their network connection on this computer has not died?
I'm clueless; that's why I'm asking. How do I tell if the network connection has died? I removed the wire and plugged it directly into the cable modem when that didn't help, I put the wire back into the NIC. The green light is on at the NIC indicating that the NIC is working. I can take a spare wire just to be sure that the wire isn't faulty.epp1. I set up the system months ago and both computers used 192.168.1.1 (the wifi is still working without a problem so I assume if I had the router address wrong, that would be dead too).2. no proxy server3. auto detect turned on in both NICs just to be sure4. DHCP on wired and wifi5. did not try release and renew will mark that on my to do list, after I flush the DNS cache6. I did not have another browser disk with me and at this point in time, I won't add more crap to the computer, I think it needs a major cleaning7. I tried to get online for updates to AVG, no browser needed and I tried the windows update route AVG gives me errors after awhile and of course windows update gives me the 4048. NAV is not installed as I said in my first post. When I clicked on the desktop shortcut, it appeared to want to install so I cancelled that and deleted the desktop shortcut. Also when I look at the running tasks there is no NAV only AVG components.

If wifi works then I would suspect hardware. I have had several times when I spent hours troubleshooting to only figure out later it was the cable. Simply swap out to check this.

Nothing wrong with the cable. I removed Spam Block Utility (spyware), True Assistant and the stuff left over from the Verizon dsl attempt. No change.I loose 100% when I ping 192.168.1.1 Everything comes thru when I ping 127.0.0.1I flushed the dns resolver cache. I released and renewed the ip and still nothing. When I do ipconfig /all0 Ethernet adapter has an IP address 192.168.1.100, a subnet mask is shown and the default gateway is the router.1 Ethernet adapter is showing PPP (I don't understand that ).My next step, if it were my setup, would be to power off the router, then the cable modem, wait a few minutes and then power up the cable modem followed by the router but I'm so afraid if I do that, I will totally screw up the doctor's wifi access. Her access is critical. The desktop I'm working on is not.I'm going to bring it to my house and restore it to factory condition. Then I shall remove some of the useless installed stuff and install decent protection and turn on system restore.Now a major question...if I connect this computer to my network will that mess up the settings when I take it back and connect at their home? If so, I may let it off the network and just install what needs to be installed by flash drives.

Edited by zlim

Swap out the current NIC with a different one. If you can't ping (basic communication) the router or the modem you either have a bad cable or bad NIC.Green lights on the NIC are not a health indicator of the NIC. You may be sending but not receiving... or the opposite.Pinging the IP address of 127.0.0.1 is only the local host. It does not prove basic communications between network devices are working.You may even come across a NIC that only drops 50% of its packets. It's working but not at capacity. Replace the NIC...Don't forget to try different ports on the router... you may well have a bad port on the switch side of the router.

I would try a Repair Install before wiping the drive and starting over.Boot from the XP CD and select <Enter> <F8> <R>That will run you through the 2nd Repair Option. Remember to install all SPs and Hotfixes.

Marsden, he isn't running XP...title says ME and restore is turned off so I can only restore it to June or July 2002. Rather than do that, it would be better to wipe and start fresh because I'm not sure what kind of spyware is on the computer. He showed me a Norton disk (his wife runs that) and I said NO we don't want to put that on.Patio, I was able to ping 127.0.0.1 with 100% coming thru so I did not use the Winsock fix floppy I brought along just in case that was the problem.Hopefully a new NIC will solve the problem so I don't have to spend a few days grabbing and burning files he wants before scrubbing the computer.

Edited by zlim

Let me end this thread by saying the problem still exists and I'm clueless.1. I brought the computer to my house and started removing all unnecessary things (surprisingly I noticed that AVG had updated on 11/29 at 4:40 pm but he can't get on the internet). The only way I could figure it might have done this is used the dialup connection? (There was a phone wire connected to the 56k modem). When I took it back, I did not re-connect the phone wire. He isn't sure why it was connected.2. Connected the computer to my router and it immediately connected to the internet with no problems. I changed no settings and did not change the card even though I purchased a spare linksys in case it was needed.3. I updated windows but that was weird because it kept downloading and installing the same two updates. About the third time there, I cancelled the update.4. Tried to get restore working by going thru the steps on MS's site and when that didn't help, I did what worked on my computer scanreg /fix5. Installed SpywareBlaster and CCleaner and cleaned up other broken links and unnecessary files.6. Updated AVG and Adobe Reader (he was still running 6 so now he is up to 6.03)7. Defragged.8. Connected to the internet again today just to make sure it worked.I took the computer back to his house - NO CONNECTION to the internet.I changed the wire from the router to the modem, changed the wire from the router to the computer, swapped around to different ports and it refuses to work.All the correct lights are on both on the router and the modem and his wife is able to browse using her wifi nb in another part of the house.I told him, there isn't a thing wrong with his computer. He is going to call the cable company and get them out. Could a poor signal prevent him from connecting? I would think his wife under wifi would be affected more than he is. Her computer reports a low signal but she is pretty far away from the router. I'm going to look into a signal booster to help her.

Did you bypass the router and connetct directly to the modem?
#1 thing I did in the first post in this thread.
Does the router have the latest firmware?
Probably not but since I can't get into the router setup (the Doc can't find the SSID and pass I set up and gave to her), this is beyond my reach. It's no longer my problem. I proved to him and myself, that there is nothing wrong with the computer, the network card, and the wires. I also cleaned up all the gunk in his computer. I think I convinced them that buying a new computer would not solve the problem.For future reference, suppose I'm locked out of a router that I'm trying to access (like now), is there a way to reset it to factory condition so I can set a new SSID and pass?

Any router can be reset by sticking a paperclip in the reset hole usually located in the back of the router.The SSID only applies to the wireless part of the router. The wired part uses a basic username - password.For most routers the default username is blank and the password is "admin". Always wise to change...I fixed a router the other day by flashing the firmware from D-Link. Everything (settings) was cleared after the flash but it did the trick of allowing the router to connect to the DSL modem and back to the internet.

I flashed my linksys firmware a few weeks ago and it didn't clear anything. I grabbed screenshots of all the important sections and save the printouts just so I can "remember" what I need to do if I lose my connection. I compared the settings after the firmware upgrade to the previous settings and I did not have to change a thing.Ok, now I know how to clear a router. Thanks again Marsden. I may have to use this some day in the future. My terminology is wrong. When I type in http://192/168.1.1 on any of my computers, I get a popup box wanting me to put in a username (which I incorrectly stated as SSID) and pass. When I tried it on the problem computer, at his home, I got nothing.I spoke to his wife tonight and he will call Comcast on Monday so they can come out and see what the problem is.

Now I know why I don't do this for a living. :blink: :'( I'm miss too much!I called the user today to see what Comcast discovered. He said before he called Comcast, he decided to look over the situation himself. He discovered that the cable connection to the router was extremely loose. (argggghhhh now why did I not look at that while I was busy replacing all the cat5 cables?) He uses a screw on connector. Personally, I prefer a snap in type which don't loosen up. So that mystery problem is solved.

It's my understanding (from what he said) that when Comcast came out, they pulled a wire thru the floor to set up the cable for the modem. They probably just made a cable the length needed and crimped the end. My home was built in 1955 so all my tv cable comes thru the floor and is screw on type. When I wanted to get internet access, I had an electrician come to the house and mount a cable jack to the wall. (I preferred an electrician to the Comcast crew). I may have old screw on connectors but for some reason, I have two independent cable lines coming into the house so it was easy to be sure that my computer is not on a line split for the televisions. My computer room/spare bedroom is the only room in the house with a cable plate. I use a cable like the ones to connect VCRs and TVs but I suspect that isn't what the problem computer is using. If I get there again, I will definitetly look at what kind of set-up he has for the cable wire.