The plot to smear BitTorrent

Peachy

Never one to speak his mind, John Dvorak explains why Microsoft's Avalanche is a bit suspicious: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1829684,00.asp

Simple Lies, Told as Fact. There is no spyware in BitTorrent. There is no way BitTorrent is being tricked into delivering spyware. We hear that BitTorrent files are "infected." What specific to BitTorrent is infected? Is it the BitTorrent initiation files? Or is it the payload? If it's the payload (the media file, for example) then what's it got to to do with BitTorrent per se? Nothing, that's what....The Root of the Accusations. This was all begun by a Microsoft MVP character named Chris Boyd, who is always described as a "renowned" security expert. By whose standards is he renowned? Has he written books? Academic papers? Articles? What exactly besides blogging? So where does this assertion come from? The blog?

Its a real shame Mr. Dvorak didn't bother to take the time to actually read the article by Paperghost. In no way, at any time, does Paperghost insinuate that Bittorent is responsible for anything related to malwares, it was simpley determined to be the biggest mechanism for installation, just as I'm sure other P2P apps are.A poorly written artcile by someone who should be held to a hihger standard.

Amen. I have started using BitTorrent protocols a lot lately because of my interest in Podcasting. Everything to do with economical distribution of audio, absolutely nothing to do with rights infringement.Bram's comments on Avalanche are an absolute hoot.

Guest LilBambi

It is unfortunate that as great a technology as Bittorrent is, that it is being used as the vehicle this time. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if certain folks are being provided with incentive to seed these 'rogue' files as was suspected with the other P2P networks.However, it really saddens me to see Dvorak smear the good name of a hardworking and dedicated researcher.Paperghost's response has been graciously provided by TeMerc here on our forums:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=0entry151208Thanks TeMerc.

It's unfortunate that Chris Boyd got his name smeared in all this. And I shouldn't have quoted the Chris portion. But let's get back to the point of the column. Is Microsoft running a smear campaign against BitTorrent in order to promote Avalanche? That is the crux of the argument. :sweatingbullets:

Guest LilBambi

Unfortunately, big money and big monopoly means you apparently can play the game any way you want ... no matter what it does to anyone else's software or OS.Real shame too ... cuz technically Bittorrent is the cat's meow!

No offense, but who cares...BitTorrent is just a medium. So is Internet Explorer. So is Eudora. So is FTP....you get the idea. BitTorrent just happens to make it very easy to transfer files quicly over the Internet, regardless as to whether or not those files contain spyware. It's the operating system (ahem: Windows) with the vulnerabilities. Without the OS (or if the OS was protective against spyware), the spyware would be pointless and, therefore, no longer spyware.You'll notice I'm recurring the point made in the article linked in the topic starting post ;)

Guest LilBambi

It sickens me to see Bittorrent smeared like other P2P technology just because some folks start making money off it by installing spyware through it or the downloads.Just like P2P/Bittorrent doesn't install spyware, those who make money off their installation install spyware.Just as with any software.And P2P/Bittorrent/VoIP, etc. do have many NON INFRINGING uses ... but they still have tried to destroy the use of these very elegant and very useful technologies.Sad really.

Just curious--I've never used Bittorrent. People choose what they want to download, right? I'm assuming content isn't downloaded without your consent. So if people are choosing to download files with crap in them, isn't that basically the fault of the downloader? I mean, aren't these files by virtue of their format or purported content probably something that could reasonably be looked on as suspicious? Why is this Bittorrent's fault?

Elizabeth,That's exactly Dvorak's point: don't blame the messenger for all the spyware that people download onto their computers. His other claim is that perhaps Microsoft is orchestrating a guerrilla campaign to discredit BitTorrent because, really, that's the biggest competitor to its proposed Avalanche P2P application. He finds it suspicious that the same week Microsoft announces Avalanche, all of a sudden a bunch of bloggers start posting news of "BitTorrent installs spyware" hype. Okay, I'm exaggerating his claim, but that's the gist of his argument.

You folks who keep insinuating there is some sort of 'conspiracy' by MS to somehow discredit the quality of Bitoerrent to their advantage need to read a couple of articles, where its ponted out that Avalanche is nothing but an exercise of thought.These 2 links have some explanation as to just what Avalanche is at in regards to development, and some insight into what Chris\Paperghost feel about Bitorrent and P2P in general:http://www.revenews.com/wayneporter/archives/000765.htmlhttp://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1831018,00.aspHow anyone can draw a conclusion that the 2(Paperghost write up & Avalanche\Bitorrent) make up some sort of conspiracy is beyond me. Of course then there is the fact that in positively no place, does Paperghost mention the 2 together on any line in the original article.

Guest LilBambi

The article by Dvorak was about Bittorrent and the files being downloaded that were spyware ridden, and Dvorak did bring up Avalance quite abit in his article.We just took a side note about PaperGhost because it upset us that Dvorak said stuff about PaperGhost in the article.

Guest LilBambi

However, although Dvorak is quick to go after Microsoft regarding the the infested Bittorrent files saying it had something to do with Microsoft's own Avalanche technology ... there really are other very big fish that had even greater things to gain from Bittorrent being discredited and causing folks to feel leary of using it than Microsoft.