Need help finding motherboard

martinultima

martinultima

OK before anyone says anything else... I do know how to assemble a machine, done it several times in the past, basically I just need recommendations on a certain motherboard.Is this one a good board, and more importantly, does it work well with Linux?Thanks!

MartinI would take a look at Asus motherboards. I hear they are quite compatible. I have a few issues with Intel motherboards because they take so long to boot because of some differences - in particular the ICH4 setting and the built in sound they use. However, my last three computers had Intel motherboards. However, hubby's little shuttle is much faster even with a slower processor and less RAM because he does not run Intel motherboards. I have had a few gigabyte boards go bad on me so I don't know what they have now. I have not touched that brand in years. They may have improved since then.

I have also had some problems with Gigabyte boards, but this also was some time ago. It seems that Asus, Abit and MSI are fairly reliable compared to some of the others on the market. :hysterical:

martinultima

So let me guess, now I have to go back and choose all new components... :rolleyes:My goal so far has been to try finding a motherboard that won't use up all my money... the completed system so far is about $325, but obviously it's not complete since (1) I haven't ordered it and (2) I haven't even found the right motherboard apparently...[i have been trying to stick with Intel-based systems. My friend uses all AMD's, but I've always had pure Intel ever since my very first machine and have no plans on changing it any time soon. ... The new system is supposed to be a replacement for my aging Dell, a Celeron-566 box with more upgrades than original parts by now.]

Edited by martinultima

I have an ECS which is a replacement for an identical motherboard which died on the first day. However, I have had this board for almost two-and-a-half years now and it has worked very well for me. All of the hardware seems to be well-supported by Linux with the exception of the sound card (I've used PCLinuxOS Live-CD on a nearly identical motherboard to mine).However, other members here have mentioned, I have heard a lot of good things about Asus motherboards.

martinultima

Did take a look at those motherboards, but neither of them seems to be what I'm looking for to be honest... (I'm also trying to get one of those bundles that comes with the processor as well as the motherboard)Any other ideas?[Yes, I'm kind of picky...]

Edited by martinultima

OK before anyone says anything else... I do know how to assemble a machine, done it several times in the past, basically I just need recommendations on a certain motherboard.Is this one a good board, and more importantly, does it work well with Linux?Thanks!

I always goggle my motherboards before I decide what to buy. You may be surprised what you can learn from other folks' problems. I know I was.

martinultima

What I am looking for specifically is a good motherboard and CPU bundle (preferrably on TigerDirect.com) with a Celeron. Has to work well with Linux, if it has integrated audio and video that's nice to have too because it saves me money :drooling: Preferrably under $120.

martinultima

Anyone like this one then?The complete parts list is as follows: * Case + Keyboard, mouse, speakers * Motherboard * Fan * Hard drive * Memory * CD-RW drive * IDE cables * Wireless adapterThe CD burner and wireless card are the exact same model I use in the old system without a problem. I've decided not to bother with a floppy disk drive, because honestly I don't use them much; my laptop I stopped using the floppy drive years ago, and mostly I just use my USB memory key to transfer everything now.One more thing: I noticed that all the cases seem to be expecting the ports to be laid out one way, and yet the motherboards all have them done differently! Is this a problem? I'll be honest, the last time I built a machine it was from a pile of old junk that had already been partially assembled... :drooling:

Edited by martinultima

That looks good. I wouldn't object to that. :thumbsup: The Intel 845GE chipset is good. It has the ICH4 south bridge. This is definitely Linux compatible. The only thing is that the technology in that board is about 3 years old now. :unsure: I'm still running on an ASUS P4PE which has the 845PE and it will be 3 years old in December. This will be the longest I've ever stuck with the same motherboard as my regularly use platform since I tend to move up after two years. I've only had to restore XP once from a Ghost backup because of a corrupted hard drive. In fact, this particular XP installation was from my original install but has had SP2 added and is patched to the current June 14 level. :drooling:

One more thing:  I noticed that all the cases seem to be expecting the ports to be laid out one way, and yet the motherboards all have them done differently!  Is this a problem?  I'll be honest, the last time I built a machine it was from a pile of old junk that had already been partially assembled...  :drooling:

Can you elaborate?

martinultima

This is what the cases all want:C455-1002-k.jpgvs. what the motherboards all want:A455-1002COUT2.jpgThe only case that even remotely seemed to fit was one of those ultra-mini ones, and not only was it expensive but it wouldn't even match anything else I own :drooling:

Edited by martinultima

martinultima

By the way, totally unrelated but from the motherboard page:

upgrades of virus invasions
Interesting. I'd want to upgrade a virus invasion, let alone have one in the first place? :drooling:

That's easy. The ASUS boards all come with the correct faceplate for the I/O shield. Doesn't matter which case you buy; just swap it out. The other motherboard manufacturers should likely do the same. :drooling:

martinultima

Nah. I've considered doing security on my network before, and honestly I don't think it's worth the trouble, I only have one Windows machine on the entire thing anyway (and it's not mine ;) ) Right now I have the network open, just hidden and with my own clever SSID, and I think it will stay that way.Well, I guess I'm set, then!

i usually use intel when i resell a pc
Good advice for those whose upgrade plan/financing involves selling the old computer. Easier to sell and higher 'salvage' value.

martinultima
i usually use intel when i resell a pc (not often enough :P )
Personally, I couldn't care less who makes the motherboard... just as long as it supports Linux. I do tend to prefer Intel processors, though, because that's the only kind I've ever used, and Intel has a cooler animation thingy than AMD.By the way, nice avatar. Edited by martinultima

More than the processor, consider the chipset---whether it is supported by the Linux distro of choice and/or the manufacturer has Linux drivers for it. Nvidia, for instance, has Linux drivers for its chipsets. The motherboard maker, too, can be a factor. Some (like Tyan) offer Linux drivers for some of their products.

• 2 weeks later...
martinultima

Good news!!I just got back from a week-long vacation last night around nine. First thing I saw were the boxes for the machine. Get it up to my room, and unpack everything... about an hour later, the machine's built, and by midnight the entire thing's running Linux as well. (And fully configured with all my settings as well :) )This thing's definitely a nice machine... bit bigger than the old one, but easier to work with, and it fits nicely enough on my desk. Really nice-looking too. And everything works - keyboard, mouse, sound, graphics - and by the way it comes with an optical mouse, a nice feature I wasn't expecting. This thing kicks ass!!!Oh, and even the front panel lights are all running perfectly. Most of the time I don't even waste my time wiring them because they never work.This is the first time, by the way, that I have ever ordered and built a brand-new system and selected each new part myself.Thanks for everything!!