locked of of updating

zlim

On a 2K computer, I'm the only user and have administrative rights. I go to Windows update (one of the few times that I let IE connect), I disable filtering in AdMuncher because that creates a problem. I have ActiveX turned off and I have prompts on scripting. When I finally get thru to the page, I see a page that I must be logged in as an administrator. (I am so how come the computer doesn't know this?) I then went to Users icon in Control panel. Administrators is highlighted and my username "a2Kuser" is listed as an administrator but I can't move to highlight it. Also, all the boxes are grayed out.I tried another tactic by right-clicking Windows Update, selecting properties and then Run as a different user. I logged in with the administrator account and was able to download the updates.If any one can figure out what I need to do to straighten out my "2Kuser" account, please share.

If you can't make changes to your own account, you're not an administrator. If I remember my W2K correctly, you can use the administrative tools to adjust the user accounts, including giving yourself full admin rights.

I'm not sure I know why Windows Update tells you that you don't have admin rights but I thought the update needed Active X to download the software to tell what you have/need. I could be way off on this (I'm at work and don't have time to research this right now) but you COULD try enabling Active X to see if this helps.I wonder if you could do a "run as" as a work around? Here's a link from Msft's KB that deals with Update problems:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;822798One more possibility MAY be a corrupt profile. I would create another profile and assign it admin rights and see if you can get updates this way. If you can, then you need to blow away the admin account and recreate it.Dale

1. Temmu, since I'm the only user of this computer, I have my account set up without a password. I also have the guest account disabled. I had to use the default administrator's account, which does have a password to download and install the Tuesday monthly updates.2. Jeber, admin.jpgas you can see I belong to the administrator group BUT, everything is grayed out. I also can't move the highligh from the line it is on to any other line. I'll look around the tools and see what the problem is. This is the first time that I haven't been able to download the monthly updates so I'm trying to figure out what changed and how to change it back.3. Dale, you may have something with the activeX. None of the errors shown are anything I'm getting but I'll look around and see how to turn activex back on and then look at windows update and the users accounts again.

Edited by zlim

B) ;) Well the activex settings gave me back my old familiar windows update. Seems a shame that you have to punch a hole in your security to enable downloads that will fix other holes!As far as the users go, I still see the same window as posted above. I can't move the highlight and I still have all the buttons grayed out. Later I will fire up my other 2K and see how that compares.A big thanks to you three for pointing me to places I needed to look. Edited by zlim

Seems a shame that you have to punch a hole in your security to enable downloads that will fix other holes!
To keep the hole as small as possible, add the MS update site to your "Trusted sites" zone.Then you can keep ActiveX disabled in the internet zone.

guest account has been disabled since I got the system. I'm curious why you feel I need a password? I run thru a password protected router (no not the default settings) and all my computers have a firewall, a trojan detector, 2 adware/malware detectors, antivirus, SpywareBlaster and AdMuncher. I also browse about 99% of the time with FF and in IE, I've turned so much off that I can't get updates. (If MS can't get in, I wonder how much luck others will have?)

guest account has been disabled since I got the system. I'm curious why you feel I need a password? I run thru a password protected router (no not the default settings) and all my computers have a firewall, a trojan detector, 2 adware/malware detectors, antivirus, SpywareBlaster and AdMuncher. I also browse about 99% of the time with FF and in IE, I've turned so much off that I can't get updates. (If MS can't get in, I wonder how much luck others will have?)

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

zlim, it's easier to guess a login than a login + password.
To quote you, "true that". However, we are talking about a desktop computer that only I use. I still don't see the need to make me enter a password everytime I turn on the computer.