Microsoft spreads tab love to IE 6

Corrine

It looks like the pressure from Firefox users has pushed MS. Although, I certainly don't want a toolbar. I keep everything I need easily accessible with Firefox and without any toolbars!

Microsoft spreads tab love to IE 6June 09 2005by Paul FestaThe case for tabs is clear...Weeks after promising tabs in its upcoming IE 7 release, Microsoft has made the long-awaited browsing feature available for IE 6 through its MSN toolbar.With the version of MSN Search Toolbar made available on Wednesday, IE 6 gains the ability to open numerous web pages within a single window, each selectable by a small tab at the top of the window.The feature - long offered by IE competitors such as Firefox, Opera and Safari, and by browser shells built to run on top of IE - is one of many that web surfers have said they missed in the aging IE 6.IE has not had a major feature upgrade in more than three years. Last month, Microsoft confirmed speculation that it would offer tabbed browsing in the upcoming IE 7.Microsoft was not immediately available to comment on the new toolbar.The MSN toolbar tabs for IE 6 were first reported by BetaNews.In November, Microsoft raised the possibility of updating IE 6's features through add-ons like the toolbar, though it disavowed any specific plans to do so.
Source: silicon.com

I would use it if I had XP and if it didn't come with all that other toolbar junk :thumbsdown:Guess we'll have to wait until Longhorn...

I would use it if I had XP and if it didn't come with all that other toolbar junk :thumbsdown:Guess we'll have to wait until Longhorn...

what "other toolbar junk"?by default there are 3 barsfile, edit, etcaddressstandard buttonsand nothing elseany other bars are SPYWARE if you didn't knowingly install themmaybe you mean buttons? - those can be removed easilyrightclick any blank spot on the toolbar, then click customize, and remove as many as you wanti like how i can put all 3 of those bars in ONE LINE - no other browser can do thattypically, i have them on 2 lineslike so:http://img217.echo.cx/img217/7857/bar2ug.jpgi can deal with one more bar in IE if it's loaded with tabs :lol: Edited by -ct-

about MSN toolbar:

Here's what sucks. First, the flickering of the entire UI when moving between tabs is just horrible. It's enough to give me seizures. Each time you move to a new tab, the entire browser seems to pop in and out of existence. I've got a pretty fast Pentium m with 2GB of RAM in this machine, I'm running the latest and greatest windows update on XPSP2 and this is just awful. The second problem is the focus stealing. Various IE dialogs steal focus when I'm loading tabs in the background. This is really annoying. The proper solution, I believe, is to hold that dialog modal to the tab (out of site) and flash the tab to indicate that that page needs the user attention. (We don't get this right either, but at least we don't steal focus like IE). Not only do dialogs steal focus, but tabs loading in the bacground themselves distrupts focus on the current page. Overall, this is just way too disruptive an experience to use for any length of time.
good enough reason for me to not attempt it

about MSN toolbar:good enough reason for me to not attempt it

Ugh - you got that right. :thumbsdown:With a product as "mature" (perhaps "old" and "heavily modified" are better words) as MSIE, it just doesn't work to add modern features. It's like trying to trying to modify a 386DX motherboard to support a Pentium 4. The platform base is so old that trying to add modern features requires so many work-arounds and crude modifications to support the older architecture. These kind of upgrades and modifications cause problems exactly like the ones described in this article.M$ needs to rebuild this thing from the ground up with a modern architecture so that modern features will work natively, and not be a huge work-around...but we all know that this will only happens once Haley's comet appears in our solar system three more times... :whistling:
what "other toolbar junk"?
Desktop search, search toolbar, auto-form filler, etc. I don't want that junk, just tabs.I'll just continue to use MSIE as it is... Edited by epp_b

....Desktop search, search toolbar, auto-form filler, etc.  I don't want that junk, just tabs.I'll just continue to use MSIE as it is...

there isn't any of that on a default installthat's all spyware you allowed to load! :hmm: :o :'(

Guest LilBambi
Ugh - you got that right. :thumbsdown:With a product as "mature" (perhaps "old" and "heavily modified" are better words) as MSIE, it just doesn't work to add modern features.  It's like trying to trying to modify a 386DX motherboard to support a Pentium 4.  The platform base is so old that trying to add modern features requires so many work-arounds and crude modifications to support the older architecture.  These kind of upgrades and modifications cause problems exactly like the ones described in this article.M$ needs to rebuild this thing from the ground up with a modern architecture so that modern features will work natively, and not be a huge work-around...but we all know that this will only happens once Haley's comet appears in our solar system three more times... :rolleyes:Desktop search, search toolbar, auto-form filler, etc.  I don't want that junk, just tabs.I'll just continue to use MSIE as it is...

Heard that epp_b! :'(

I prefer IE, and I love tabs, but I'm not about to install a toolbar to enable it. I'll stick with avant browser thank you very much.

I can't get too excited about the IE v FF battle. I've got FF and Copernic running on a laptop and IE and the MSN search tool on a PC. I'd give the MSN search tool the edge over Copernic on layout and function but not by much. But I don't get what the excitement about FF is about. It really doesn't do anything much better, or quicker, for me and its update funtion is buried pages down.As for MSN/IE tabbed browsing the instructions for setting it up say:

Turn tabbed browsing on or off (back to top)1. Click the MSN logo  on the Toolbar, and then click MSN Search Toolbar Options.2. In the left pane, under Toolbar, click Tabbed Browsing.3. Select or clear the Turn on tabbed browsing check box.
Oddly that option is simply not available in this set-up. And, yes, it claims to be the latest version. So either I missed a trick (again!) somewhere, or it's not working as advertised.And if this were true:
With a product as "mature" (perhaps "old" and "heavily modified" are better words) as MSIE, it just doesn't work to add modern features.
why does it work in a new browser to add poorly implemented, untested extensions?Andy

why does it work in a new browser to add poorly implemented, untested extensions?
Assuming that you're referring to Firefox, basic tabbed browsing works better than it appears to work in MSIE. Firefox was developed to be centric around expandability, but only to a point. I don't think it works very well, because I find that once I install the number of extensions (about 10 or so) to make the browser worth my while, it becomes very slow and not worth my while.

And if this were true: why does it work in a new browser to add poorly implemented, untested extensions?Andy

Because extensions aren't released by mozilla.org, they're provided by the community. This toolbar is made by MSN, so it's "official" in a sense.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the reminder on the site siljaline. Hadn't been there since mid May. Nice to keep up on the discussion there. B)

There's more public blogs on IE and more - ping me and I'll put them up. Regards,Silj

Assuming that you're referring to Firefox, basic tabbed browsing works better than it appears to work in MSIE.  Firefox was developed to be centric around expandability, but only to a point.  I don't think it works very well, because I find that once I install the number of extensions (about 10 or so) to make the browser worth my while, it becomes very slow and not worth my while.

I have about thirty two extensions installed and My Firefox is running just fine. I even have all of them on a single floppy which I can use to installed them and Firefox on another machine. If 10 extensions are bogging down your PC the problem may not be with Firefox. B)