"Mark this forum read"

Stonegiant

Stonegiant

My gaming group recently left EZBoards (thankfully, since they are having major problems). We are using a php board of some kind. I'm not even close to in the loop for administering the boards, so this might be a useless question, but:I just love how when I click the "Mark this forum read" link it takes me back to the main forum list. On ours, it takes me back to that same forum that I'm marking read. Seems pretty silly to me, but that's how it works. Can someone point me towards a website or something that can change that board's behavior to returning to the main forum list?

Um...mind giving us the name of the board software you're using? ;)A link might help too. Look at the documentation for your board software. There may be something in there.

Stonegiant

I figured this would wind up being a useless post. As I said, I am not in the loop. I'll ask them and relay the info. B)

most of the time it is software default - other than changing the source code you are stuck with the default~~mods shouldn't this be in web design/help forum instead of the Feedback area since this doesn't pretain to this forum~~

I figured this would wind up being a useless post.  As I said, I am not in the loop.  I'll ask them and relay the info.  :hysterical:

BTWThe forum software should be at the bottom of the index page - should state the Name of it and Version

phpBB is the software and that is the default reaction of all phpBB boards, to my knowledge the only way you could change that in phpBB is to hack the source code and I doubt your administration of that forum is going to want to do thatphpBB is open source software and I support open source software, but I do not like phpbb at all. It is one of the most featureless forum software out there. Sure you can add features to it by modifing it with addons and what not, but that isn't always the easiest thing for some to do. I do realize that the one that has been in development at area51 for years now is suppose to be improved, but years have gone by on it. It seems to always be stuck in limbo.

There are ~386 phpBB mods available, and that's just the "official" site--there are more out there, I believe.Of course, it depends on 1) Finding a mod that will actually do what you want and 2) Getting the board maintainers to install it

I tested phpBB before opting for this software (that I can't use if you believe EdP). The main reason why I didn't go for phpBB was that the admin tool has very few useful settings and options. I highly doubt this is an option. Stonegiant, urge your forum owner to consider the IPB software. It's basically free to use if you're willing to go without support.But even if you pay for it, it's not that much money.-- Scot

IPB is no longer free in any form unless you do your hosting with them. The hosting plan includes usage of the IPB software as long as you stay hosting with them.The last free trial version for IPB was 2.0 and that was only available for a limited time for download. That's why I have been slowly converting to mybb:http://www.mybboard.com/which is free and combines VB and IPB features.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, that is sad but true havnblast. :(It is a recent development that it is no longer free though.Forum folks from all over the Internet are not happy with the change either....mainly because many installed it believing the software would remain free because that is apparently was IPB was saying for a long time. Now it is no longer free, and they are apparently going after those who are not licensed as well according to a press release I read in the last month.

Oh, thank goodness. I thought the question was how to "Mark this forum RED". And here I was trying to find a control that allowed you to colorize each forum.Never mind. :thumbsdown:

• 2 weeks later...
IPB is no longer free in any form unless you do your hosting with them.  The hosting plan includes usage of the IPB software as long as you stay hosting with them.The last free trial version for IPB was 2.0 and that was only available for a limited time for download.  That's why I have been slowly converting to mybb:http://www.mybboard.com/which is free and combines VB and IPB features.

Not quite correct, :'( InvizionZone have a free trial which is restricted to 2000 posts, 200 members and about a 1000 pm's and emails etc, along with a other restrictions... but it is available, and it works fine, so long as your Host has Zend optimizer, or Ioncube decoder installed. It's great for the novice who wants to try forum software.But I agree with havnblast... MyBB is the GO... it's currently in an upgrade phase to MyBB-Gold and at the moment has most of the features that IPS offer... though somewhat different in the Admin applications. Yep! I'm predudice....... Already wrote a mod for MyBB, by adding an integrated spell-checker... and after testing heaps of forum software... it's my first choice.It does require MySQL, and there are free hosting sites on offer at MyBB forums...http://www.mybboard.com/

I just grabbed the 'facts' from Invision and here they are along with the D/L free trial url..........http://www.invisionboard.com/?triallimitedTrial LimitationsThe trial version is encoded which means you are unable to view the PHP source or modify the PHP source. There are also these hard limits: 5000 Posts 1000 Topics 1000 Personal Messages 200 Members Bulk Mailer Disabled Language Editing Disabled SQL Toolbox Disabled No IPB Portal Included No SSI Export Facilities No ability to upgrade between trial versions If you exceed any one of these limits, your board is turned offline and access to your ACP is removed. If you choose to purchase a full Invision Power Board you can upgrade your trial version to a full version so you won't lose your current members, posts, etc. The full version comes with readable source code which means you're free to modify the PHP code for your personal use.

Edited by Ozidave