Slackware 10.1 & KDE 3.4 kernel 2.4.29

Andymcr

Hello all,Great to see the forum up and running again. I've not got Slackware and KDE running well - I'm not using Linux as my main OS. EDIT - KDE 3.4 is now in slackware-current.I still have a couple of problems that I've been trying to figure out all week, an I was hoping someone on here could help?a) I have an nVidia nForce2 chipset - any ideas how to get the sound working - the nVidia drivers don't seem to do anything?:thumbsup: Radeon 9800 pro - I've seen many ideas about this (the main ones lead me to think I should just put my nVidia 5600 back in!) - anyone have success with this?c) Is it possible to build my own Slackware install CD? At the moment I install slack, then upgradepkg to KDE 3.4. I tried copying arts to CD1 and KDE stuff to CD2 and burnt it, but it wouldnt boot. Is there some info on this?Well thats it for now! Back to Google for me, Andy

Edited by Andymcr

c) Is it possible to build my own Slackware install CD? At the moment I install slack, then upgradepkg to KDE 3.4. I tried copying arts to CD1 and KDE stuff to CD2 and burnt it, but it wouldnt boot. Is there some info on this?
It's possible. Look at the isolinux/README.TXT file on CD1, or check the ../slackware-10.1/slackware/isolinux/README.TXT file on your favorite slackware mirror.tranquilo

Andy, which version of the Nvidia chipset driver did you use? The one from Nvidia? Depending on the motherboard maker, they may also have board specific Linux drivers, e.g. ASUS has Nvidia nForce 2 drivers on their site for their boards. Hmm, methinks again, the ASUS nForce 2 drivers are Red Hat specific. :thumbsup: I've had no problems getting my AIW 9600 Pro running in SUSE, Mandrake, Red Hat and Fedora Core. I haven't tried Slackware on this board yet.

Hmm,I just thought, instead of building your own Slackware, what about just recompiling the kernel with the correct drivers?

Radeon 9800 pro - I've seen many ideas about this (the main ones lead me to think I should just put my nVidia 5600 back in!)  - anyone have success with this?

Hi Andy . . . ATI has a real bad name when it comes to making Linux drivers for kernels that are current ( sometimes you can get drivers but then only for older kernel versions ) . . . so I would say: pop in that Nvidia card and get the latest graphic drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp :thumbsup: ( There is a howto Here B) )As for the sound . . . depends on the chipset of the soundcard . . some nforce boards have via other intell chips for sound . . . . but you could have a look if this brings you luck:http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.htmlNote: there have been 2.6 kernels with problematic sound support for nforce boards and I think the above fixes that.:lol: Bruno

Thanks all!I had a look at the Slackware readme - I'll have a go at making a CD tomorrow. At the mo I'm reinstalling a couple of times a day! after trying things out & breaking stuff! So I'd like a CD with KDE 3.4 etc rather than install seperately. I'm also going to swap gfx cards, though I'll have a look for chipset drivers first.Be speaking to you all soon :-)Andy

how long before 3.4 drops into 10.1? I didn't go current this time with my slackware.Sound issues I have seen - need to add yourself to the audio group. Does modprobe find anything? alsaconf is the command line to configure sound also, not sure if that is in slackware tho.

Got Slack-current install cds - thanks,Got nForce2 sound working through S/PDIF - took a while but ALSA did it.Having massive problems with the ATI driver - switching to nvidia card if I cant find a fix tomorrow - tried so many things, got fps to 4k, but can't remember how I did it - I'm back to a clean install and 300 fps!havnblast- don't know when 3.4 will go 10.1 - works great -only prob is passport, crashes on save web password.Even got Baghira working- 3.4 is fantastic. Now I need transparency - anyone help?Cheers,Andy

.  Now I need transparency - anyone help?

Hi Andy . . . . Well done ! . . . You say you want transparency . . you mean the looks on your desktop ?Transparant taskbar --> rightclick on it --> configure taskbar --> last tab --> at the bottom "enable transparancy" + advanced options for the applet handlesTransparant Eterm: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=262Transparant gkrellm: you need extra themes . . . I can send it to you by mail if you want toThere sure is more that I am forgetting now . . but this is a good start ;):P Bruno