XP sfc scannow error log

Guest PrivateDancer

Guest PrivateDancer

Not much more than the topic description...Wonder if anyone has ever found program or application that would collect files that need replacing when running XP's sfc /scannoweven when running only the manual replacement of re-registering .dll files you can’t tell if it simply overwrites a file or actually finds bad .dll & replaces it (think that is stated redundantly sorry)troubleshooting system & can not find out why the installation is constantly needing sfc /scannow to be run & then randomly decides its unhappy againAbsolutely NO spyware or malware or virus/trojan activityHave done clean install, repair, parallel/ dirty & it still crop supHardware had all been swapped out so know it isn't related least don’t think soThanks for any suggestions

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PrivateDancer
Bump ... bubbling this back to the surface ... don't know the answer but maybe someone else will. :teehee:

LilBambi - thanks for the bump. Finally found specific file(s) causing symptoms. Tore down h/w for third time & decided it wasn’t component failure. Used extra copy XP Pro (sp2) that hadn't ever been removed from shrink-wrap. Installed on test partition & ran checksums/names/details of every file on both original XP CD & problemtaic CD. Saved results & compared the two CD's. Older CD (although you can not see any physical damage) had 2 files which did not meet the correct size/code.Explained this to owner & she contacted M$ warranty replacement call center & got new CD (at minor cost I believe). System been stable for 6 days. (hopefully this is a resoltion)Still love to know if there is any application that would store a log file when one uses sfc /scannow or some other way to diagnose the actual OS & find similar problems & go "ah ha" ....it's not loading every byte at sector or file _____.Appreciate your kindness & the bump. Congratulations on your re-opening. Regards - PDBelatedly occurred to me I likely didn’t word things properly in this post. I had PREVIOUSLY taken the problematic XP CD & installed it on my own test partition & it goes through the installation process & shows no signs of problems & doesn’t display any faults or errors & I got the normal “welcome to whatever screen & do you want to blah blah blah – so its very interesting that CD with some type of fault will install ok (so it seems) but cause problems after installation.When I have time I’m going to “borrow†back the CD/DVD Combo unit form the system owner & run installation using that on my test partition/HD & see if perhaps it was in fact some ‘drive’ related problem. Very weird over all! Edited by PrivateDancer

Guest LilBambi

Thanks PrivateDancer!So glad you figured it out.I had problems recently with terrible problems using a well used SP2 Upgrade disk from MS, and ended up using another newly burned disk of the downloaded administrator installer of SP2 to correct it.It can be a real bear to find the cause of these types of things...took me three installs on a known good system to figure that one out myself!