notepad

EdsFile

Hi:I don't know if I'm in the right category or not! Somthing has happened to my copy of notepad. If I should open it and pick up a certain file, it looks like each line is struck thru with a single line like an editor might use. I thought I could copy and paste it here, but that isn't working. Does anybody know what the fix is? Does anybody even know what I'm talking about? <BG>Thanks ...

What type of files are you trying to open. Are you opening a .txt file? If it is something created elsewhere, it might have coding it can not read. You should be able to create a file in notepad and cut and paste it here.

Can you take a screenshot? Open the file, press Alt+PrtScrn and that will take a picture of the Notepad... Then Open Paint, paste the picture, and save it as a .jpg file... You'll have to have a place to host the file (if you've got a webpage, put it there), and then post the link ;) What kind of file is this? Does it do it with every file? Do need some more info... ;)

My first thought was that it sounds like you may have "strikethrough" enabled. That puts a line through the middle of each word typed.

My first thought was that it sounds like you may have "strikethrough" enabled.  That puts a line through the middle of each word typed.
Don't think notepad gives you the option of strikethrough though... Just bold and/or Italic AFAIK... ;) One more thing... have you tried opening this same file in WordPad or some other program? This would tell you if it's notepad that is bad or if you've got a bad file... If you open it in WordPad, you should be able to remove the strikethrough if that's the problem.

The file is a .txt file, I had already tried opening the same file in wordpad but didn't get the strikethrough in wordpad. I can post the file from notepad here, but it doesn't have the strikethrough.=======================Great flood of 2002 the ark in 2002 if Noah had lived in the united states in the year 2002, his story may have gone something like this...................And the LORD spoke to Noah, and said, in one year, I am going to make it rain and the rain shall not stop until it submerges the entire earth and all living flesh is destroyed. Because of this, I want you to save the righteous people and two of every living species on earth. Therefore, I am commanding you to build an ark.In a flash of lightning, GOD delivered the specifications for an ark. Daunted by this task, but respectful of GOD's wishes, Noah took the plans and agreed to build the ark.+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++I guess I don't know how to put an image here - I created the notepad situaton again and did an ALT Print Scrn then did a Ctrl V here but nothing showed up. I went to my email package (Eudora) and pulled up a 'new mail' and did a CRTL V there and the picture of notepad did show up. How can I send an email to this forum?

Guest LilBambi

You didn't mention which Windows OS you are using, but I will post some info re: Win98You could make sure your version of notepad.exe isn't corrupted by extracting a new copy from the Win98 install CD.For Notepad.exe it is located in the Win98_46.cab fileIf you don't know how to extract it, you could use the following:You can extract files by using System File Checker.Click on Start,Programs,Accessories,System Tools,System Information,Tools,System File Checker. Select "Extract one file from installation disk".RE: Images on the ForumsYou use the image tag IMG Button at the top of the Reply message. You put the full address to the image, i.e., http://domainname.com/images/image.jpgThe image needs to be located on a webserver on the Internet so it will be available. Please see the Forum Rules for size and dimension requirements.If you have any questions or do not have webspace to place the image, please feel free to PM me.

Somthing has happened to my copy of notepad. If I should open it and pick up a certain file, it looks like each line is struck thru with a single line like an editor might use.
Have you done anything with fonts lately? In particular, have you removed any fonts?

Another thought -- Where was this "text" document created? Is is possible that the file was created as a unicode text file? That could certainly cause certain characters to display incorrectly in Notepad, with or without the unicode error message... :lol:

Guest LilBambi

Chris --Yes, could be one of those ... also along the thinking of fonts ...Notepad is one of those programs that if you change the font just playing around, or the language, it remembers that the next time you open it.Now I went through some of the fonts I have on my computer which are considerable, but couldn't get it to do a strikethrough on all letters, but if there is a font on that computer that does all letters in strikethrough .... and someone was playing around with fonts in notepad ... I would maybe suggest checking to make sure your language is selected and what font is currently being used in notepad. Maybe it is some oddball font ???Just another thought :lol:

Guest ThunderRiver

Hello,You should try to open up the notepad and start typing and save the text as a test text file. Open it up and see if it display correctly. Now for the problematic text file, open it with Internet Explorer, if Internet Explorer displays it properly it means that that text file is in unicode.

Guest ThunderRiver

They offer more functionality but I don't think they support unicode; thus, it may still miss feature that good old Notepad has. However, if you know for sure that you don't need unicode, feel free to use alternatives.

Might be a good time to just replace note tab with one of the many freeware alternatives that offer much more functionality.
EditPad Lite is a great little program. I've been using it a while and love it. Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Very late to this party, but I have noticed that the version of Notepad in Windows XP is very buggy. The problem I have seen many times is that it erroneously inserts linebreaks sometimes when you resize the window. I can repeat this problem at will. It's not the same problem as the original poster described. But no previous version of Notepad/Windows did this.-- Scot

Guest LilBambi

Somewhere in another thread, someone mentioned PSPad ... I tried it out and really like it. I don't use it as a replacement for Notepad, but I use it all the time now.I would like to know how it works under WinXP ... I am using it in Win98se.

So far PSPad works great with XP Pro. Do you have a copy of the english dictionary for spell checking? The program downloaded fine, but all dictionary file links are dead :(

Hi Y'all: I'm sorry I'm so late getting back to this - you don't want to hear why, but part of it entails sitting in Texas when your new airconditioner quits, etc ... Anyway, I'm running Win XP Pro. Most of these occurrences have been when I install a package of software and, at the end, it says 'show me the readme file' and ships you off to notepad to see it. And, it would be struckthrough. If I pick it up and plop it into WORD, its OK. If I pick it up and drop into one of these REPLY blocks, its OK! If I call up Notepad on a standalone basis and key 'Now is the time ... ' it is struckthrough as I key it! I've tried keying the same line in Wordpad with no problem. To emulate the same circumstances, I would have to change the equate table that tells the system to use Notepad if the extension is .txt. BTW, anyone know how to do that? I don't particularly want to use Notepad at all!LilBambi suggested that I extract a new copy of Notepad fro the install CD - anyone know how to do that in XPWhat is unicode? Why do I care? I'm not be flippant, just want to see the bearing. I've been around for a little while but haven't been exposed to unicode.What is considered the best replacement for Notepad ? How woiuld I replace it? I've been looking for a good general-purpose programmers editor that can recognize your programming language and be pretty friendly with it (ie. indentation, paragraphing and the like) I thought I had found one with PFE but all development on it has been dropped. Multiedit is good but $199.00 isn't.I'm listening, hoping to learn more ...Ed

To emulate the same circumstances, I would have to change the equate table that tells the system to use Notepad if the extension is .txt. BTW, anyone know how to do that? I
Hold down the shift key when you right click a text file so you get an 'open with' choice. Browse to the program you want and tick 'always use'.I use EditPadLite, it's very comprehensive and free (Mozilla folks will like the tabs). I have it set as the default .TXT app.

Guest LilBambi
So far PSPad works great with XP Pro. Do you have a copy of the english dictionary for spell checking? The program downloaded fine, but all dictionary file links are dead :P
Autotec --There are several dictionaries including an english dictionary (in zip format) on the download page (further down the page below the program download) on the PSPad site.Instructions according to the site:
Dictionaries for spell checker.After download unpack and save file into directory:  .\PSPad\Spell\
Then what they don't tell you is ... you have to go into the Tools, Spell Settings and choose english (or whatever dictionary) you chose from the dropdown box, apply and you are off.Works great. :lol:

My own preference for a replacement notepad is Alan Chong's NotepadXP, available here. Freeware with tons of options, including HTML. Try it and see. It's a well behaved little app.

Thanks LilBambi,

There are several dictionaries including an english dictionary (in zip format) on the download page (further down the page below the program download) on the PSPad site.
Yes, I know. Until now, like I mentioned earlier, the links to the dictionary files were dead to me. The program files themselves downloaded just fine. Since this didn't seem to be the case with you, I got really curious about, "why just those links?". Anyway, I did some research and found that I was receiving a "socket error". I tried several things, even disabling my firewall temporarily to see if if was the culprit, (wrong settings, etc.). I decided to uncheck "Enable LMHosts Lookup" in the WINS section of the advanced TCP/IP settings on my connection. It worked like a charm. They downloaded immediately. What I'm now puzzled about is, why now? I haven't adjusted settings in half a year or so. To date, this is the only known problem I've encountered in not being able to download a particular file.

Guest LilBambi

Autotec --Oh, OK, I thought you meant the links within the program for the spellchecker were dead to you ... they were dead to me till I downloaded the dictionary and installed it and chose it.Glad you were finally able to get them from the site. Sorry for the confusion.That's what I get for being up way past my bedtime and posting! LOL!That is a strange scenario with the LMHosts file ... you might like to look at the file and see what's in there. Have you incorporated any restricted zones into your LMHosts file? Or allowed any programs to do that for you?

Strange indeed. I looked at it and it's still the default "sample" file. Nothing new or changed in the etc directory since last clean install, in Feb.

Hi EdsFile,

What is considered the best replacement for Notepad ? How woiuld I replace it? I've been looking for a good general-purpose programmers editor that can recognize your programming language and be pretty friendly with it (ie. indentation, paragraphing and the like) I thought I had found one with PFE but all development on it has been dropped.
IMHO, the best program that meets your needs is UltraEdit. It's huge list of features can be found here. I've used it for several years and have never had a single problem with it.About using it as a replacement for notepad:
Some applications automatically call Notepad without offering the user any options as to which utility to use.  If you'd like UltraEdit-32 to replace Notepad in these instances please download the following zip file and follow the instructions in the NOTEPAD.TXT file.
You can try it for 45 days, but after that it cost $35US. Money well spent in my book :rolleyes: