quirky linux

vonbiber

excerpts from http://bkhome.org/quirky/Quirky is a Linux distribution and is in the "Puppy Linux family",also known as a "puplet". However, Quirky is not a mainlinePuppy release -- it is a distinct distro in its own right.Quirky is my plaything, an avenue for meto try out some quirky ideas -- hence the name "Quirky".#####################available here:http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/quirky/####################I already have several linux live distros in one partition. I wanted to do a quickly test quirky.1. unpacked the iso

# mount -o loop quirky-001.iso /mnt/tmp# cp -R /mnt/tmp /mnt/sda6/quirky# umount /mnt/tmp# cd /mnt/sda6; lsboot.cat boot.msg help.msg initrd.gz isolinux.binisolinux.cfg logo.16 quirky-001.sfs vmlinuz

2. cleaned up and created a grub entry in my boot menu

# rm -f boot.* help.msg isolinux.bin logo.16# tail -n4 isolinux.cfg | sed 's?label\( .*\)$?title\1\nroot (hd0,5)?' | \		sed 's?vmlinuz?/quirky/&?' | \		sed 's?append \(initrd\)=\([^ ]*\).*?\1 /quirky/\2?' > grub_entry# rm -f isolinux.cfg# mount /mnt/sda3# cat grub_entry >> /mnt/sda3/boot/grub/menu.lst

here's the grub entry:

title quirkyroot (hd0,5)kernel /quirky/vmlinuzinitrd /quirky/initrd.gz

3. rebooted on quirky and took this screenshot from therezv9a0y.jpgkernel is fairly recent (2.6.31.5)

Quirky is a new experimental project from Barry Kauler, Puppy's creator, to try out some quirky ideas. For starters he includes the initramfs and the whole filesystem inside the kernel, and also aims to make it smaller with each version. Some drivers won't be included, but you can build a personal Quirky with "Woof, the Puppy build system". On his blog he says a newer version should be up before Xmas, so I'm going to wait for that.